Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Photobucket policy is blocking some TVT images

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

New Photobucket policy is blocking some TVT images

Photobucket has, without warning, blocked "3rd party hosted images" (meaning anything posted on Photobucket and then displayed on forums such as this, and other sites including ebay and craigslist) and demands an account upgrade to $399.99/year to restore said photos. Needless to say, I am not about to pay that kind of money for photo hosting, and I doubt many (if any) members here will find that to be an acceptable price point for their own purposes, either.

Not all photos are blocked yet, apparently — I'm guessing that only the most-viewed images have gotten on their radar.

Tim and I (especially Tim, who has a TON of photos and posts here) are going to have a massive job ahead of us. I've already fixed some of my most photo-intensive posts, but locating the threads and posts with single photos is next to impossible. So ... please help us out with the repair effort!

(1) If you find a thread with blocked photos, please reply to THIS thread and post a link to the thread (or post) with the blocked photo(s).

(2) If you currently have photos posted here on TVT that are hosted on Photobucket, please-please-please re-host elsewhere and edit your posts to use the new links as soon as you are able to do so.

For now, I have started a free account on Postimage (which is specifically intended for hosting forum images) and other than having to limit uploads to only 3-4 images at a time to avoid have some get skipped, it is working great, the interface is super-easy and (everyone should love this) there are photo rotation tools built right in. However, if anyone else has experience with other photo hosting sites (with positive or negative recommendations), comments are definitely welcome. This will be the fourth time I've had to move externally-hosted photos, and I'd REALLY rather not move them again!!!

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help and patience!!!

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Re: New Photobucket policy is blocking some TVT images

Thanks for the heads up. I have photo bucket hosted images on most forums I belong to. I'll sign up for an imagehost or like account this week for past and future posts. -Josh down w/photbucket bye
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've had a paid unlimited pro account with photobucket since 2005. My subscription is set up for auto renewal with a PayPal auto-pay each Sept. So far my pics (at least the ones I checked) are still displaying, but who knows what will happen in Sept. I'm hoping I'll be grandfathered in, but who knows.

If they cancel my account and take down my pics, there's really nothing I can do about it as I do not have the time to set up a new account somewhere else and transfer over. I might consider paying the $400 for 1 or 2 years, but since this site is paid for by Gwen & I, it will be very hard to justify that long term (the few donations we receive aren't even close to being enough for that). I literally have thousands of pics hosted there that display on this forum. Due to a hard-drive failure I had in 2011, everything I posted on photobucket prior to that are my sole copies (they'll be lost forever).

Most of the more comprehensive threads I've posted and my blogs will be almost worthless without the pics, but unfortunately with business at record levels I cannot take the time to deal with this. Tim

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Not to have a group of angry townfolk show up on my internet door step w/torches, but maybe this site needs to become a pay or subscription site to defray the cost of photobucket and related internet site costs? A site I frequent for AE95 alltrac info made this the case a while ago, and I just consider this a cost of our hobbies. I have seen other sites use a specific link to get to shopping sites like amazon, that doesn't increase costs for buyer, but kicks down a fee (probably only a fraction of a %) to the site. I order tons of stuff from that site, diapers, oil, power tools, etc, and have used other links to get to their site so someone else will benefit from my expenditures.

Not trying to step on any toes, and I haven't been a member here that long but I see the value in preserving the knowledge base here.
    Josh
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Well this has the potential to be catastrophic for this site and sites like it, I know photobucket is a business and needs to make money but $400 is an almost comical amount to expect from its users.

I've always used imgur for the photos I haven't directly loaded onto the site, it's been good for the occasional photo or two but haven't used it on the kind of scale required to know if it'd be a viable replacement but I'm assuming it wouldn't be.

What would be awesome would be to set up a home server or go with someone like dreamhost and host the images ourselves, which would be a lot cheaper and would likely be permanent so we wouldn't have to mess with this again. It's been about 10 years now (so a lifetime in internet years) but this was the route I went when I ran my last website. I grew tired of all the broken links and having my photos scattered all over the internet so I just hosted all of them. It worked well, but I was only getting maybe a couple of thousand hits a month, so there wasn't much that could go wrong.

I'd be curious to know what the forum's traffic statistics look like (hits, unique visitors, bandwidth, etc) to see how plausible the latter option is. If this is a route you guys decide on taking, I'd offer to help in whatever way I could.

EDIT: I do hope that this site can find a way to remain free, and I honestly think the forums would die down to just a few members if we started charging for the information listed here. True, for some people these vans are a hobby but for a lot of us, these vans are what we can afford and putting the information behind a paywall would just add insult to injury. It would fragment the community and I'd go so far as to say it would lead to more of these vans getting junked for relatively simple reasons because the information that could have been used to fix the vehicle was tied to a subscription fee.
    Last edited by AD2101; 07-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Don't even get me started!It's not making money anymore I call it gouging. From hosting to holding you hostage . Key word in Gwen' s post: "Without warning" Typical Bigcorp sh... Its happening all over the web. All those poor sobs doing business on the "Cloud" just wait...

bikerjosh,(no burning torches here ) subscriptions, advertising banners, whatever source of revenue, they all require something that Tim does not have a lot to spare: Time. And the little he has to spare he spend it answering our "brain picking" not managing "accounts". I've got to respect that!
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

I've always used imgur and created albums for the corresponding TVT thread. very happy with imgur as it seems to have longevity - and its free! they give you BBcode for easily linking your images when creating a new forum post/thread

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1997 Toyota Previa LE

Photobucket really sucks. I prefer using Google Photos.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Photobucket used to awesome.........but they've been declining for years. The problem is not knowing how reliable/reasonable these places will be in the future. Uploaded/sorting, getting new tags, finding and editing all old picture posts, is monumental. Once you've gone through all that it's like they have you held hostage. People would do almost anything to avoid that endless task and they're using that against us. I guess it all boils down to what it's worth to post pics on the internet. If I go through all this who's to say Google, imgur, or anybody else isn't going to pull the same crap 5 years from now?

Since there are no comprehensive add-ons for vBulletin (uploading, editing, hosting) we'd almost need to build or purchase our own picture hosting site to resolve this once and for all. I am already seeing lots of threads that have been made almost worthless by photobucket's changes (on lots of forums) and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. My pics are all still intact, but I noticed I can no longer edit the pics I upload there. My annual renewal is fast approaching and I'm worried they'll drop my account or ask for a ridiculous renewal fee. If that happens, instead of looking for a new hosting site, I'll be looking into other options that can hopefully offer more control/security for the future. For now I'm still hoping they'll just renew per the terms of our past agreement (as I don't have time for this crap). Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Like I said 3 posts above: Just wait... Photobucket is just the 1st one in the photo sector to do that, once the others see them get away with it they will all follow suit pronto! It has happened in the music sector, it is happening in the video game sector big time, I lost all my Formula one games cause I refused to "spit in the bucket". The hosting business has turned into hostage business. I would be willing to bet that Photobucket is going public or they are looking at a merger so it's: Shareholders first; damn the customers (I had a perfect smiley for this but I'm gonna keep it clean). Just another good business ruined by greed.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Give it away until they're hooked, then stick it to them. Drug dealers use this tactic too.

My Van(s):

You mean Big Pharma?
    How about cable TV? From ad. free for a small fee, to a bigger fee +ads, to massive fee+ loads of ads + pay per view!
    Want another one?: Airlines!!!!
    LG.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd

I highly recommend using imgur. It's free, simple and I have been using it for years.

My Van(s):

If I go through all this who's to say Google, imgur, or anybody else isn't going to pull the same crap 5 years from now?
    Like Tim said.......
    LG.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Is there any resolution to the Photobucket issue Tim, Gwen? What do we users need to do to help? I have noticed some posts w/ photos blocked. Tim, I believe you were under a deadline to re-up your PhotoBucket account. Has this been done? I have additional contributions to make based on sales of parts from the '86 toyota 2WD to members and will continue to accumulate said funds as sales continue. What can we do to HELP YOU? I will even consider a similar contribution similar to the last to help! Please PM me with your thoughts about the contribution. Toyos rule!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thanks for your concern. Regarding donations, they are always welcome . Regarding photobucket I'm on an auto-renewing subscription with them. They get an auto-pay from my PayPal account every September (since 2005). So far Photobucket hasn't contacted me, but the day for their annual auto-pay is 9/15. I suppose if they accept payment we'll be golden (at least for another year). If they reject it, then I suspect they'll be contacting me with ransom demands.

As for the blocked photos, those pics were posted by individual members with free photobucket accounts. Other than urging these members to change their hosting there's absolutely nothing we can do about that. It was a crap thing for photobucket to do and forums everywhere are suffering because of it.

I'll post updates here as to how my annual renewal goes. It's all up to photobucket. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Tim,

How did this work out? Did they ( Photobucket) withdraw their $$$> and grant you continuance?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I just checked my PayPal account and it looks like they took their money yesterday. I haven't received any notices from them regarding my account and it looks like my pics are still displaying. Since I pay for each year in advance and because they accepted payment, I think we can assume we're good for a while longer.

It still sucks what they've done to the free accounts, but it appears there's no big changes to the paid accounts. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

For the benefit of anyone who has been reading this thread, Postimage broke all my photo links, and has since deleted my account and photos without notification. I definitely cannot recommend Postimage for photo hosting.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Estima

Re: How to disassemble the dash on a Previa

Do you still have the images? I dont know why but I cant load them. I you have them can you send them to my email? tore@seznam.cz Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I will demonstrate dash disassembly on a 93 Previa. I know from experience that 91 - 93 Previas are the same, but unsure of anything newer as I've not worked on one yet. I suspect 94 & up are the same in these areas.....or at least very similar, but I don't know this for sure. If anyone reading this knows of anything different, please let me know by posting here in this thread. Okay, here's the procedure for 91 - 93 Previa dash disassembly:

Using a small screw driver, pry out one of the hinges to the change tray, then open it and it will come off.

Remove the ash tray.

Pull the wires from the lighter assy, then remove the black plastic cover piece.

A 90 deg scribe works well to release the plastic hooks.

Push the metal part of the assy out from behind.

Use your scribe to release the plastic hooks, then remove the white plastic part.

The plastic garnish will pull off now. Do not twist or change angles. Grab it firmly and pull straight toward you.

Remove these 4 screws, then the drink tray and frame assy will come out. It's a tight fit, but play around trying different angles and it will come out when you find the right ones.

Take out these 2 screws.

Find the hidden latch, and remove the top center dash / fuse box cover.

Remove these 2 screws.

Remove the radio and fascia assembly.

Okay, now that you got the radio out, the rest is pretty easy. Next comes the instrument panel hood. There's only 2 screws holding it on and 5 "push in / pull-out" style fasteners. Take out the screws:

After the screws are out, the only thing holding it are the 5 push-in / pull-out type fasteners. There are these 3 bumps on the hood

and they go into these 3 holes in the dash panel

The other 2 are here by the heater duct.

All you need to do (after you pull the 2 screws) is grab a hold of the hood and yank. It should pop right out. Just be careful to pull straight so you don't tweak the heat duct section. Sometimes you need to carefully loosen this area with a knife as to avoid damage while yanking out.

After you get the instrument hood off, if you need to go further, it shouldn't be a problem as all remaining fasteners are pretty obvious and easy to figure out. Tim