Thread: Red oil pressure light. Is this the sensor? (Timsrv =). or anyone)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 5 speed passenger, 88 Cargo auto

Red oil pressure light. Is this the sensor? (Timsrv =), or anyone)

My red oil pressure light has been coming on. I did a search here and found this thread, in which Tim suggests disconnecting the sensor as a means to test it.
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ull=1#post9180

I just want to be clear that I am doing this right. The photo below shows what I did. Is this the right sensor?

Also, am I understanding correctly that if the light comes on while it is disconnected (as shown in the photo below), then there is a problem with the circuit, and not the oil pressure? Is taping the sensor off required?

Thanks for any advice.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Red oil pressure light. Is this the sensor? (Timsrv =). or anyone)

Looks like you're trying to use a photobucket free account. They are pulling the plug on all those accounts and no longer allowing images to display in forums. Here's a picture where I'm holding an oil filter housing. In this case I put a brass tee in between the pressure switch and the housing so I could tap off it for an add-on oil pressure gauge.

So far I've had 2 vans with the red idiot light for oil pressure. So far both of them would intermittently give me false low pressure at times. I would recommend adding an oil pressure gauge, then you'll know for sure. Using a brass tee like I did is a good way to tap off oil pressure. Regarding the light, if oil pressure tests fine, then I'd ignore the light. You can either remove the bulb or you can pull a new wire from the sender switch to the bulb. Pulling a new wire is what I did and it resolved the problem. After pulling a new wire you can test it by turning the key to run without starting. If the circuit is good, the light will illuminate (no oil pressure), then start the engine and the light should go off.......and stay off until you shut it down. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Appreciate it Tim. I like the idea of an actual oil pressure reading rather than just a red 'panic' light. I think I'll pursue installing one as it looks easy enough.

And, ah, Photobucket. I'd heard they were starting to charge. The photo was visible last night. So, they must have got to my account early this morning.

Here is the photo I posted. I just wanted to confirm that if it's disconnected as shown, and the light still comes on, then there's a wiring issue rather than an oil issue. Also, do I need to tape them off?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, that's the right thing to disconnect. If that wire somehow touches a ground it will turn on your light, so for troubleshooting reasons I'd tape off the wire (no need to tape off the switch). And yes, if you oil light still comes on with that disconnected, then you'll know it's not due to low oil pressure. Tim

PS: If there really is no oil pressure, you can expect other things to happen.......like a bunch of valve noise and the rods would start knocking. Power would continually diminish until the engine locked-up .

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks again. I'll tape it off to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    PS: If there really is no oil pressure, you can expect other things to happen.......like a bunch of valve noise and the rods would start knocking. Power would continually diminish until the engine locked-up .
    LOL. I suspected that if there really were no pressure the engine would soon cease proper operation. Apparently even Toyota can't make a wonder engine that will run indefinitely on no oil flow.