Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Sale: 87 4x4 Van Automatic So Cal $6K

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Re: For Sale: 87 4x4 Van Automatic So Cal $6K

Bump... A new member just contacted me asking if my van is still for sale.

Yes, it is!
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Update: on 1/8/2020 my van passed smog with flying colors. It is registered with current tags until January 2021.
    New tires will be put on van next week.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

are you advertising any other places than the forum? maybe just not reaching a wide enough audience..they can come to the forum after they buy it, probably the way most of us got here...of course the times are crazy now but this seems like a pretty good deal to me..

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Boogieman,

Yeah, I've played with the idea of advertising elsewhere, but I would rather sell to someone who is "vanwagon literate" so I won't have to explain how the van is totally awesome except for the part where you can't get parts anymore.

P.S. Plus, if no TVT members buy my van, I get to tell myself:
    "Woe is me. No one will buy my van. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep it!"
    Last edited by trestlehed; 05-14-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: .

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

haha fair enough! although i think we'll be able to keep our vans going quite a while even though oem toyota parts are drying up...where theres a will theres a way, we gotta keep these things going so things like windsheilds will get manufactured...

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

This is a great deal...

If you like I can throw a link over on the couple facebook van groups, unless your already over. It would prolly spark some interest.

Plus they understand all the issues with these already. I understand the hesitation to sell outside of the van community.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    haha fair enough! although i think we'll be able to keep our vans going quite a while even though oem toyota parts are drying up...where theres a will theres a way, we gotta keep these things going so things like windsheilds will get manufactured...

They are manufacturing windshields.

I just got one for mine installed for 230 bucks. Brand new from Fuyao. Pretty quality glass too.

My Van(s):

cool, my buddies been getting shot down here in abq...is it a big chain shop or...?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

cool, my buddies been getting shot down here in abq...is it a big chain shop or...?
    Fuyao is actually the manufacturer of the glass, they are based out of Michigan. The glass itself was really reasonable! I want to say about a buck fifty, or a tad more. The rest was labor.

I got mine done local at a little mom and pop place... weird that the ABQ is harder.

Just checked and Safelite quoted 320 if you go to their shop... that was out of pocket, no insurance. Fuyao brand. A bit steep for me considering I got it for 230 out the door at my place, but it's available.

Don't want to jack up Trestles for sale thread...

SELL SELL SELL! Great deal on a 4x4 Toy Van here.

My Van(s):

he wants and should keep it...we're helping convince him that parts arent gonna dry up and he can enjoy the ownership of one badass van..hes even got the hi/lo transfer case....honestly everyone is blowing big bucks(12 to 65k?!?!) on jdm right hand drives, vw synchros, and big three Quigleys...these vans are a down right bargain...

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

he wants and should keep it...we're helping convince him that parts arent gonna dry up and he can enjoy the ownership of one badass van..hes even got the hi/lo transfer case....honestly everyone is blowing big bucks(12 to 65k?!?!) on jdm right hand drives, vw synchros, and big three Quigleys...these vans are a down right bargain...

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    This is a great deal...

If you like I can throw a link over on the couple facebook van groups, unless your already over. It would prolly spark some interest.

Plus they understand all the issues with these already. I understand the hesitation to sell outside of the van community.
    I've been trying to create a FB account. Somehow I screwed-up the initial process of creating an account, so now they keep demanding
    all sorts of I.D. to verify my identity. But if I can get past that hurdle, I will definitely check out the FB Van Page.
    Thanks for the idea!

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    Fuyao is actually the manufacturer of the glass, they are based out of Michigan. The glass itself was really reasonable! I want to say about a buck fifty, or a tad more. The rest was labor.
    Good to know. I wish I was able to get a windshield before I had the rust repaired/painted around my windshield...

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

The hi/lo transfer case isn't installed. I've been on the look-out for a 4wd parts van so I can get the psgr side engine
    lid-plate, that way I won't have to drill/cut into my current engine-lid plate, and therefore be able to properly install the hi-low shifters with the OEM set-up.
    Last edited by trestlehed; 05-15-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: .

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by trestlehed View Post
    and therefore be able to properly install the hi-low shifters with the OEM set-up.
    The holes for the five speed shift cables are different than the auto. Unless you're planning to do a 5-speed swap as well, you'll need to drill your engine cover for the t-case cable. It was pretty straightforward when I did mine. I think there was even a dimple in the sheetmetal marking the center. Best mod I could possibly make. I'd like to do the same to my other van.

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

I'm not planning on doing a 5-spd swap, just wanna add the Hi-Lo shifter feature to the automatic trans. Are there any special brackets involved?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

It's been 8 years. I'll try to take some pics tonight or tomorrow. I think the only issue I had installing it was one bolt ear on the shifter assembly didn't make contact with the engine cover so a spacer is needed. Although, I never have made one and it works just fine. The other issue that came up was where to put the power mirror switch. On an auto van it occupies the same space as the manual t-case shifter whereas a manual van has it where the t-case push button is on the autos. Chances are the wiring is there but mine just lays between the console and the refrigerator. The shift boot screws into the console with a retaining ring replacing the storage tray and mirror switch. And of course, the most involved part is tearing down both cases to swap input hubs.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Here's some pics for you. The t-case shifter assembly bolts on over top of the auto shifter. I'm pretty sure I had to use longer bolts but I was able to source all the parts and hardware from the donor vehicle in the wrecking yard. You can see the one tab without a bolt in the pictures.

Edit:The pictures rotated when posted for some reason. I've never had it do that before. The pic showing the cables from under the passenger side engine cover is upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images