Thread: 2C-T: tip for rocker cover gasket

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Toyota LiteAce GXL 4WD Turbo Diesel 1970cc

2C-T: tip for rocker cover gasket

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share my experience about replacing the rocker cover gasket on a 2C-T turbo diesel engine.

It's an easy task, but we need to remove the compressed air intake that comes from the turbocharger (after removing the air intake that goes to the turbo). There are three vertical bolts (red arrows in the picture), but unscrewing them is not enough to take the metal pipe off. There is also two well hidden horizontal bolts at the right under the EGR valve (see picture).

It's surely obvious for the most of you, but it wasn't for me, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, then fortunately my co-worker gave me the solution.

Name:  ReplaceRockerCoverGasket.jpg
Views: 4712
Size:  20.7 KB

So, maybe it will help someone :-)

Cheers,
    Alex

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Re: 2C-T: tip for rocker cover gasket

I also had to take off that same part to get to the farthest back glow plug. I don't remember having to remove any horizontal bolts. I also don't have an egr. I thought only the automatic transmission models had the egr? Is yours auto?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Toyota LiteAce GXL 4WD Turbo Diesel 1970cc

Yes, mine is auto. I'm surprised that only the automatic transmissions have egr, I quickly tried to understand why, but I didn't find anything.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Yeah I'm not sure why only the auto. I've heard of people removing the whole egr setup and making a little metal plate to block the outlet.

Maybe the Egr is like the van's single wisdom tooth. Great if it's working. Rip it out if it's causing a problem?