Thread: Fuel Pump choices- Denso or Toyota?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Fuel Pump choices- Denso or Toyota?

Thinking I may put in a new fuel pump before it's needed since I'm slowly nearing the life expectancy of the pump(I've heard around 260k they go belly up). I'm all for OEM Toyota, but 1sttoyotaparts wants 439$ for a 4x4 and 442$ for a 2wd! Dang! That's a lot of money even if they last a quarter million miles. VillageToyota wants 285$. I found denso's that are compatible on ebay and amazon for 100$ here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-951-0012-Electric-Fuel-Pump-/260817647658?fits=Make:Toyota|Model:Van&hash=item3 cb9f1782a&item=260817647658&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Pa rts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
    What's the difference, anyone?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Fuel Pump choices- Denso or Toyota?

I'm not sure who made the original Toyota van fuel pump, but I suspect it was Denso. With most Toyota parts from that era, if you buy Denso you will get exactly the same thing you'd get if your purchased from Toyota (except you won't get the red box that says Toyota all over it). The other thing you won't usually get is an over inflated price.

Even if Denso wasn't the OEM manufacturer their quality usually rivals whatever Toyota used, so I'd feel comfortable using Denso. I would however avoid most other brands. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Thanks for that great answer and saving me almost 300$ Tim! I thought that was probably the case but Toyota doesn't tell you who makes their fuel pump. Denso, here we go!

My Van(s):
    '88 cargo van

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/catalog/
    h
    ere is an after market denso look up.
    If they were the OE manufacturer it will say so.
    Either way I agree with Tim that Denso is Toyota common,
    I believe the only time they are not OE is when another company Toyota uses
    gave them a better price at the time!