Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cornering light relay

My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE 2WD A/T

cornering light relay

where can i locate the cornering light relay?... how much difference does the 87 van electrical wiring with the 89 model?... thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: cornering light relay

The 87 model is different from the 89 model. In 87 there was a rectangular plastic box behind the glove box that controlled the cornering lights. Starting in 88 they eliminated that control box and added 2 more positions to the 4 position relay box (changing it into a 6 position box). This relay box's location is right behind the dash panel between the steering column and the radio. The cornering light relay is in the upper left position of this relay box. Tim

My Van(s):

-thank you very much for the reply sir Tim, i was just wandering, i checked the location you said, what i just saw was the flasher relay, is the cornering light realy and flasher realy the same?... do you have an 88-89 service manual?...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's the location diagram from the 87 manual. In regards to the cornering lights, this is the same from 86-87.

Here's the same diagram from the 88 manual. All components in this diagram are the same 88-89.

My Van(s):

-thank you very much sir Tim for the great help. a bit of story from my van, i'm a 3rd hand owner of the van, when i bought it from the previous owner it runs well, i loved the van, when problems start to appear, i repaired the van myself through the help of the 87 manual i got from the internet though it was not complete for my 89 model, i discovered some parts that are not in the van anymore, i guess the mechanics before from the previous owner removed these parts because they had a hard time finding replacements here in the philippines and just modified some of the wirings. i really want to restore the van so little by little, i'm restoring everything i can, the only problem is that the 87 manual i had was just not complete.... hehe... more questions to come sir Tim thanks again...

My Van(s):

how does the cornering light realy work? when does it turn on? i don't have a fog lights but refering to your pics, there's a for light light relay, if i don't have a fog lights, then what does the other relay do in my case?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you don't have fog lights then the fog light relay will be missing from the relay box. As for the cornering lights, keep in mind not all vans have these. Yes they all have the cornering lenses (86-89), but not all came with circuits to make them functional. Most LE models had these but many vans just got dummy lenses (didn't even have spots for bulbs). On the vans with working cornering lights there is a switch in the column that attaches to the turn signal switch. Each time the turn signals are used the cornering light relay sends power to the cornering light switch. The switch (depending on position) routes the power to the appropriate cornering light. Vans that didn't originally come with cornering lights don't have any of the components (well, other than dummy lenses and a spot for a missing relay). There is no cornering light switch in the column and the harness is lacking the wires.

An easy way to find out if your van originally had cornering lights would be to pull one of your cornering light lenses and check to see if there's a bulb socket in there. If not, then it never had a working cornering light circuit and there would be nothing to repair. Tim

My Van(s):

-thats why i'm restoring the cornering lights because i saw the wires behind the cornering light lens... can you give me sir the wiring diagram for the part of the cornering lights only?... as for the fog light realay, it is really there... thanks

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

All I would add, is that for the corning lamp circuit to be active, the headlamps must be turned on.

If you have fog lamps, they would be located inboard of the high beam headlamps. not in the bumper, like most vehicles.

BB

My Van(s):

thanks burntboot for the info regarding with the cornering light relay circuit. thats why i'm wondering, why would there be a fog lamp relay when i don't have fog lamps....

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Perhaps the vehicle was repaired with used parts after an accident. If so it's possible whoever repaired installed headlight assemblies without fog lights and used cornering lenses with bulbs??? Just saying

My Van(s):

i think you might be right at some point, but there is no wire for the fog lamps behind, but the cornering lights wire is still there but they didn't connect the corner lights to that wire, instead they tapped from the orange lamps below that lights up together with the park lights...

My Van(s):

- i stand for correction sir Tim, i think you're right, i checked the van again and i saw terminal wires for the fog lamps... whats missing is the fog lamp switch, i think they've removed it. i can still use the line to attach an aftermarket fog lamp... its the cornering lights that still make me wonder, i can't get them to work, somethings missing or i'm wrong at some point, does it have separate fuse for the cornering light circuit?....

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The circuit is powered up by the 10 amp turn signal fuse in the #14 position of your fuse box. So if your turn signals work it wouldn't be the fuse.

My Van(s):

thank you so much sir Tim, i restored it, its working now, thanks to your diagram i was able to track the wires properly... i post another thread sir, can you help me with that sir?... thank you so much again

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's great! So what was the problem?

My Van(s):

the problem was there was a broken wire from the terminal in the steering column the one that is from the relay going through the switch, its makes me wonder the wires were quite small in size, its hard to see because there were too many wires there and it got behind of them... thank you again sir... can you help me sir in my other thread?...

My Van(s):

let me share some modifications i did with the my cornering lights, i changed the bulb into a dual filament type, 21/5W, so that when you turn on the park lights, it turns on by 5W, and then when you turn the signal lights, 21W kicks in and then goes back to 5W after turning/cornering...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van 1988

Dear uncle Tim, my Van have trouble with the signal, when the key is off, hazard still work but signal is not. I try to clean inside the combine switch but until turn on the key, signal work; turn off, signal "die". In Vietnam, workshop always cut the wiring and rebuild it. So, I try to fix it until can't stand!

Could you please give me some advise? My Van is 1989.
    Thank you very much.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Turn signals are only supposed to work when the key is in the "Run" position (they're only needed when you're driving). Emergency flashers are supposed to work in any key position (it's so you can leave them on to alert other drivers under any conditions). If your van works like this, then there's nothing wrong (if it's not broke, don't fix). Tim