Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Other parts to replace while replacing Head Gasket

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Re: Other parts to replace while replacing Head Gasket

The surfaces need to be extremely smooth. I don't think it would seal right on mill marks. There are techniques to get a smooth surface without a machine shop, but a machined surface is best.

With a properly prepped surface and MLS gasket no gasket prep or spray is needed; however, you can use copper spray gasket if the surface is less than perfect, but that is not ideal.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The OEM Valve Grind Gasket Kit (04112-73035) I ordered from ToyotaPartsDeal.com arrived today. MyToy, you might want to call them and have somebody double check status on that part number. I have doubts on the one I ordered from Amazon though as when I check my order status it only says "Arriving August 13 - September 24". I also ordered 2 of those MLS gaskets off of eBay and they are on their way. I guess I'm all set for head gaskets for a while now. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

WHAT!!!!!!

These SOB's
    I have been on the phone with these idiots all week long with several orders in since I have staged my garage and people to finish this head work this long weekend. Everyone came through except ToyotaDeals. They have no brains.
    Now I have the van torn down to the block, other cars out of the garage to allow for extra tables and tools with just a Flo Pro gasket kit and you tell me this??
    Oh crap, I really fear putting this Flo Pro in. I guess I will have to eat crow AGAIN and call them on Monday. So I close down the project until I have some lead on a gasket.
    Tim, again can tell fill me in on this MLS gasket from eBay in case I fail to come up with one from Toy?
    Is it as good as theirs?

What a Joke
    Thanks for the heads up Tim.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I know nothing about the MLS except what VanCo has said about it (previous posts in this thread). In your case I'm thinking the MLS may not be your best choice due to the special attention required. I on the other hand happen to be planning another rebuild job and will be taking the block and head into the machine shop to have it punched out .050 mm larger/have new pistons fitted & have bronze guides installed in the head. Since all parts will already be there I'll have them deck/polish the block and head so I can use the MLS gasket. I also plan on modifying the MLS to match holes provided in the OE gasket (like VanCo did).

I don't know what to tell you regarding ToyotaPartsDeal.com. Sounds like there's some people there who know how to do their jobs and other's who don't. Guess I got lucky with the people who processed and pulled my order. Good luck. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Hey Tim:
    It never ends. This is the response I received after trying to order again.

Thank you for ordering parts with us.
    We are writing to inform you that order CT950859 has been voided. Your order has been voided because of the following reason(s): The ordered part(s) have been discontinued (no longer available) and/or is backordered with no ETA date by the manufacture.

So now I have to regroup again to finish this motor

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I want to keep the one I just got......especially now since these may be going the way of the Dodo Bird. But, I want you to have one too, so I just ordered another (and as before they took my money). So let's wait and see. If it shows up I'll sell to you for the same price. Tim

PS: No obligation......if I do get it and you don't want it, I don't have a problem keeping another set around.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Tim:

I did not mean to imply to buy any of yours. You need these much more than I do as your business, which always comes first.

But I will tell you one thing. If your able to get one then I know they must have something against Florida.

I will hold off and see what happens. I have other stuff I can do but I also have businesses to run.

Thanks
    MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No, you did not imply or suggest anything.........but I did buy from there AFTER you tried and you reported it was unavailable. I would not have tried to order if you had not posted, so I feel like I got the kit intended for you. You also have an immediate need and I do not. If I can help you get one of these I'm happy to do so. I'll keep you posted. Tim

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I’ve been reading this thread and today my son who’s a service writer at Volvo called his sister dealership Toyota to find out if the part was available and it looks like there’s five left in the nation. MyToy it’s strange that they keep denying your order, are you purchasing the part as a Guest or do you have an account with them... not sure if that will make the difference?

JDM

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    But I will tell you one thing. If your able to get one then I know they must have something against Florida.
    MT
    MyToy,
    Have you tried ToyotaPartsOverstock.com, they are part or affiliated with LAKELAND TOYOTA Inc, a major dealership in Florida. If you are from the area you can pay them a visit at 2925 Mall Hill Dr. Lakeland FL. Or give them a call: 863 688 5451. That's the letter head on a receipt for an order at ToyotaPartsOverstock.com
    If possible it would be worth going there. I always had a better relationship in person/ face to face, with the Parts people at a stealership than over the phone. They are usually quite knowledgeable and more willing to dig in the database when they are dealing with a face
    Hope that help, let us know.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I just got a notice telling me there is a delay, but they expect to have it at their dealership by July 12th and will ship it at that time:

Hello from ToyotaPartsDeal.com,

Thank you for ordering your part(s) with us.

We would like to inform you that we have ordered the parts (which are listed below) from the Toyota Parts Center to complete your order.

We will ship out the order in its entirety once we have all the parts.

Part No. Description Order
    Qty. Status ETA*
    04112-73035 GASKET KIT,ENGINE VA 1 On Order** 07/12/2019

*ETA Estimated arrival time to our dealership.
    **On order to Toyota Parts Center with an estimated arrival date.

If your order takes longer than the estimated ETA above, we will send you an email and update you on the status of your order. Please contact us if you do not receive an update email.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Customer Service
    ToyotaPartsDeal.com

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

OMG!!!!!!
    You have to be kidding me................................................ .......Sorry for that delay, I was picking myself up off the floor!

Well, OK. I guess I will make the call to wait a bit longer to complete. I was hoping this weekend but that sounds highly unlikely. Please keep me posted and a million thanks. Can decide on shipping when we know they are in your hands.Sent PM

MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

LOL, I just got another email from them saying there was a price increase of $6.52 and if I wanted them "to continue processing the order" I had to pay. I went ahead and paid it and gave them the green light. Although it seems a bit "odd" to ask for more money after the fact, they appear to be working with me. Seems strange they are giving you the brush-off. You must have really pissed somebody off there. . Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Just my .02 cents

I have used Fel Pro HG's in the past on several Totyota engines. Probably a dozen 22r/e's, a 3.slow, a couple of 5vzfe's (3.4), a 2rz and even an old 3fe cruiser engine. And to be honest, I think it's every bit of the quality of Toyota HG's. Heck, LC engineering uses the Fel Pro HG's for their production line (they turn out a quality series of engines for many Toyota applications).

I can't speak to the Van experience because I have yet to do a HG job on the 4ye to date... but when I do, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Fel Pro considering what my past experience has been with them. Even the other gaskets I have used from them have been great and sealed up appropriately! The only bad experiences I have had with them are the exhaust manifold gaskets sealing right... that said it was a surface mating issue, and not the gasket really.

I realize a lot of guys on this forum want oem Toyota parts, and I get it... but even the Toyota hg's aren't the same as the og asbestos filled brand. They have changed their composition's also.

In short for a decent composite HG, I would rock the fel pro any day of the week.

Poor experiences have been had with the ITM and Apex brands... I have seen them pop on a couple 22re's in less than 5k! Even with great machined surfaces on the deck and head.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, I just like to stick with what I know. More than anything I really hate doing a job like that twice due to "questionable" or poor quality materials. I have also used Felpro head gaskets in the past for other applications (mostly on pre-historic muscle cars and engines with cast-iron heads) and I always regarded Felpro quality as top notch.

With these things nearing 40 years old and knowing that Toyota OE parts start to dwindle ~ the 20 year mark, it's inevitable that we will eventually be forced to experiment with other brands. I'm sure there are some out there just as good as Toyota, but not sure yet which ones those are. What I do know is Toyota brand is top notch and they spend a lot of money in product research to keep things that way.

When it comes to aftermarket there's going to be good products and there's also going to be bad ones. It all boils down to not knowing which products will work best for us and our particular application. At some point enough of us will have experience with these different brands and be able to collaborate results. Until then, if I can get Toyota, then that's what I'm sticking to........with the exception of the MLS gasket that Vanco recommends. If the block and head are prepared correctly, I believe that type gasket to be superior. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I absolutely agree with ya Tim.

When it comes to oem, Toyota typically makes a great product... not sure if you remember though the 3vzfe (v-6 sold in many 88-95 Toyota pickups, 4runners and the early t-100's), but they had a slue of issues with their HG's and failure after 1989 due to having to re-design from the og because of composition type (asbestos) and the huge failure rate that followed.

It's just an example, and a personal experience I had with the Toyota (rare as it may be) quality at the time.

I guess it can be a crap shoot either way, and like any repair or vehicle surgery it all boils down to process and method. Running a really clean repair with inferior parts, or running a not so clean process with superior parts both play a role.

I guess with the rarity of oem Toyota hg's I'm just saying that the next in line for me would be the fel pro. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in and drive it like I stole it.

Hope you've been well man!

Edit: and with the VanCo comment--- Yip! If you get the surfces smooth as glass, theres no beating that gasket! Or a full copper for that matter (You won't ever find that for the little vanwagons though, least not that I have seen).

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Oddly enough, I did get results on Amazon too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

77 bucks seems steep though, but hey it's Toyota oem!

Right part number too..

MyToy. Should jump on that man!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That Amazon gasket you linked to is only the head gasket (no other seals or gaskets included). I don't think it will come quickly though (if at all) the listing says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." It also states "Free delivery: Aug 26 - Oct 7". I ordered one just to see how long it actually takes and will report back when/if it arrives. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    That Amazon gasket you linked to is only the head gasket (no other seals or gaskets included). I don't think it will come quickly though (if at all) the listing says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." It also states "Free delivery: Aug 26 - Oct 7". I ordered one just to see how long it actually takes and will report back when/if it arrives. Tim

LOL, you animal! No wonder all the toy parts are drying up!

I was gonna pull the trigger on it too though, so I guess ya beat me to it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, you could still try and get one. BTW, the other gasket kit I had ordered from Amazon (the complete kit) was cancelled. That listing now states
    Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.