Thread: Locks for sliding side windows

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Locks for sliding side windows

My van is a Cargo and appears to have had a cheaply done conversion at some point in its life. The side windows are sliding windows that appear to me like something you'd see on an RV. However, they don't lock and someone could easily break into my van if they knew this. I don't really know where to look to remedy this, or what to search via Google, so anyone with knowledge in this area that could pipe in I'd greatly appreciate it. I know Tim runs a mobile RV repair business so perhaps this is something he would be familiar with.

I took photos of the window on both sides as the drivers side appears to be missing a piece that is present on the drivers side which allows you to grab it and slide the window open and close. anyway you can see these photos below. Don't mind my neighbors sketchy house, my hood is actually not too bad

Passenger side - it has a metal plate that I can use to slide the window open and shut. on the plate appears to be some sort of locking device, but maybe a part of it is missing? (it doesn't do anything)

Drivers side - missing the metal plate altogether - this one is a lot more difficult to open, I basically have to press my hands fully flared against the window and try to get enough grip to slide it open.

2. 10-22-2017, 09:20 PM

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Locks for sliding side windows

I have a truck canopy that is missing lock parts and I used one of these to lock the window. It would only work on the inside pane so if both panes open you would have to come up with something different for the outside pane.

4. 10-22-2017, 10:14 PM

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    I have a truck canopy that is missing lock parts and I used one of these to lock the window. It would only work on the inside pane so if both panes open you would have to come up with something different for the outside pane.
    only the inside pane opens, the outside pane is fixed.

So these just lock into the window track and block it from opening. I think these will work in the perfectly! Ill pick up some of these after work today. For how cheap they are its worth the peace of mind alone. Thanks originalkwyjibo!

Obviously I'd still prefer a more "OEM" type solution so if anyone else reading this wants to chime in I'm still interested in other ideas. I still have the problem of the metal "handle" missing on the drivers side which makes sliding it open difficult.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

As I am an avid amazon purchaser (seriously, its just so damn convenient) I bought these and while they work, I already lost one of them lol. It fell down in a hole next to the rear heat controls and into the body panel - a perfect shot!

Obviously the build in clip/locks in the RV style windows would be ideal. Maybe theres an RV repair/parts business I can go to that could point me in the right direction?

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and for anyone else in a similar situation these have eased my mind immensely from the "casual thief." Get a lot of high schoolers/homeless passing through my hood that if they new my windows could be simply slid open from the outside, they would've had a heyday lol. Now I only have to worry about a determined thief, which will simply resort to smashing a window when it comes down to it

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

When I had a pickup and removed the shell, I used a stick in the track to keep the window "locked"
    Painted black to hide it.