Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash temperature gauge problems

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

Dash temperature gauge problems

hi fellas my temp gauge stopped working today and of all the gauges we have we need this 1 the most. i checked the fuse ok i just dont know where to go from here. i looked for power at the sensor(goose neck) area the brown connector no power there. with key on . am i getting close. tomorrow i,m gonna strip back the connectors and have a peak , unless you think i,m looking in the wrong area. aarhhhh seems everyday this week something has bitten me in the butt with this van. o well just cryin thats all but i could use a suggestion or 2. thanx guys.i know its just another situation that must be fixed!!!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: temp gauge went out today?

Disconnect the sending unit and ground out the wire to the block. When you turn on the key to "run" the gauge should max out on hot (don't leave it like that for longer than necessary because the gauge isn't designed for a prolonged short here). If the gauge jumps up with the sender wire shorted then the sending unit is bad. If it doesn't affect anything then it's a bad gauge or a wiring problem. The gauge can be tested for resistance but the cluster needs to be removed 1st. This test will vary depending on what gauge configuration your van has. The BE section in the manual covers this test and all the variables. Of course there could be something wrong with the circuit, but the most common fault is with the sending unit. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

Re: temp gauge went out today?

well i went to thr store this mornin and the gauge worked but only a lil i mean it raised up a quarter inch or so ???? i guessint that the sensor is starting to fail ... maybe thanx again tim for the hint / direction to go

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

Water temperature gauge is dancing up and down

After reading all the posts I figured out that my thermostat was bad. Water temp gauge on the dash started below C and would only go to the top of the C. Got a new thermostat and now the water temp gauge on the dash goes above the C and to about half way when I am driving. Only problem is once it gets slightly above the C if I hit a bump the needle dances up and down about 2 to 3 mm. Really rough roads look really exciting. Any ideas to fix or should I just get used to a dancing water temp needle on rough roads?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Water temperature gauge is dancing up and down

The gauges themselves are supposed to dampen movement of the needle. This makes response a bit slow, but keeps things steady. Since the values they're displaying typically take a while to change it all works out. If you have a gauge with a bouncy needle, especially one that bounces due to external vibrations, that means the gauge head itself is to blame. I'd keep a lookout in the salvage yards and snatch the next one that comes along. These did vary with trim levels and changed throughout the years, so finding the exact one might take a while. There are also a couple different manufacturers Toyota used for these too. Not sure if Toyota even sells these anymore, but if they do, I'm guessing they'd want it's weight in gold. Another option is to put an aftermarket gauge unit in. These don't mount as nicely as the factory gauges, but they are usually more accurate and display actual temps instead of approximations. Good luck. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

So can I pop out the water temperature gauge from the back of the speedometer odometer cluster or do I just find a new speedometer odometer
    cluster and plug it in? I am getting used to the dancing. Additionally, my heater temperature is much better now ( after changing the thermostat).

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you find the same cluster you can go either way. If you're concerned about the correct miles displaying, I'd probably just swap the gauge. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Temperature Gauge Problem

Hello,

So first a very small backstory, which I believe has nothing to do with the current problem but, I want to disclose all information:
    I went on a trip to Texas, everything running perfectly with the van. I got the oil changed at a Walmart, and noticed that they created an oil leak from the oil pan (I am assuming they did not put on that washer correctly or something like that). The leak was very minor, I just would check the oil daily and fill up when needed.
    When I got home to California, I went to get it changed again (went to Walmart thinking they might discount it due to the previous error, no such luck). I told them about the oil leak and they said they fixed it. They didn't. The leak was worse than ever (losing about 1/4 a quart every day). I have just been checking a filling regularly while I sort everything out with them. I have been mixing oils, (I usually use 10W-30, but have used 10W-40 and 5W-30, anything I can find laying around rather than going to buy more) and I was told this will not harm the engine. Also, the battery in the van is on its last legs (it takes a few gas pedal pushes to get the engine to turn on).

Current problem: I was driving last Saturday, running errands, everything normal. But after about 3 hours of doing this (not consecutive driving, would drive maybe 30 minutes, stop for an hour, 45 minutes, go into a store for an hour, etc.) But then I noticed as I turned on the van and was getting my seatbelt on and all of that, that the temperature gauge was up very high, almost touching the top end of the "white" bar. I was very scared, but thought "how could it get this hot in a few minutes after being parked for an hour?"
    I checked the oil and coolant levels, everything basically normal. I drove home (~45 minutes) basically the whole time with the temperature gauge in the scorching red!! The temperature gauge was touching the red, but, I noticed nothing different and just drove it home. Luckily, the engine is not melted and the van runs and turns on properly.
    Just now, I checked on the oil, and turned it on. In a matter of about 10 seconds, the temperature gauge was at the top of the white bar again. This is after being parked for almost a week, on a cool night! Now, I may be wrong, but I do not even think it is physically possible for it to get that hot within 10 seconds of turning on the engine, right?

What is the problem? Is the temperature gauge broken? Or is it really getting close to the red hot bar in a matter of 10 seconds?

Any help is so greatly appreciated.

Yours,
    TVN

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Temperature Gauge Problem

No, it's not possible. Even if you had no water in the engine, it would take at least 5 - 10 minutes of running to get this hot. It could be the gauge head, but I doubt it. Most likely it's a bad temp sending unit (on the head) or a shorted wire between it and the gauge. To check the sender pull the wire from it and use an ohm meter to check resistance between the terminal & ground. On a cold engine you should see 250 ohms or more. If it's the culprit, i would expect to see around 25 ohms (to explain the gauge reading). Most likely cause is the wire between the sender & the gauge becoming chafed/shorted. If it's the wire, these type problems can be hard to track down. I'll usually just pull a new wire than to mess with tracking down the trouble spot. Good luck. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Tim,

Thank you so much. You seriously do not know the level of gratitude I have towards you not only in your knowledge but in the swiftness of your responses.

Thank you again.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I am trying to buy a temperature sending unit, but which would fit a 1985 Toyota Van RWD?

Is it this one?: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FcOBfgodezYAZQ

And how come they range from $20 to $100? I tried searching for Toyota Genuine Parts but the site did not have the temperature sending unit on it?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No, the one in your link is the sensor (for the ECU). You need the sender. On that site it's this one: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198...re_switch.html

The Toyota part number for this is 83420-20020

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thank you so much! I am ordering this now!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Name:  Vaninfo.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  87.7 KB

Hi again Tim, I'm sorry.

1 - ?
    2 - Overflow hose
    3 - ?
    4 - ?

But I am replacing 4, right? The person I am working with to fix the van asked me to ask again to make sure with part 83420-20020 that that is the part that goes to the temperature sensor, and which of these 4 to pull. I know it is not #2!

I told him, it is the SENDER, part 83420-20020, like Mr. Tim said, and it goes into part 4. Am I correct? He thinks its the previous link I mentioned into part 3: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FcOBfgodezYAZQ

Can I prove him wrong?!

Thank you so so much!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

#1= Temperature Switch (closes at 230 deg F). ECU monitors this on start-up. If switch is closed then ECU activates "pressure-up" VSV for 2 minutes (to help combat heat soak).

#2= Overflow hose

#3= Cold Start Injector Time Switch (for activating cold start injector).

#4= Temperature sensor for ECU. This is a thermistor (resistor that changes value as temperature changes). ECU monitors this & calculates fuel mix ratios based on resistance.

The sender for the temperature gauge is on the passenger side of the head in front of #1 spark plug. You'll need to remove the passenger seat & the access panel to get a good look at it. Here's a picture:

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Can't Seem to Find Temperature Sender

Hello,

I am trying to replace to temperature sender, where I will replace it. I have the part, I took out the seat, I just don't know how to access it. Am I looking in the right spots? Can I see it from underneath?
    This is in reference to my last post: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...-Gauge-Problem

Thank you kindly

Name:  IMG_8417.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  39.6 KBName:  IMG_8418.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  43.4 KBName:  IMG_8419.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  40.3 KBName:  IMG_8420.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  43.7 KBName:  IMG_8421.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  52.8 KBName:  IMG_8422.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  43.3 KBName:  IMG_8423.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  52.2 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Can't Seem to Find Temperature Sender

It's Toyota part #83420-20020

For organization reasons I merged your new thread with your old. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: Can't Seem to Find Temperature Sender

Tim, my gratitude knows no bounds. Thank you so very much, this is immensely helpful

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Tim, problem SOLVED!!!!!!!!!! This was EXACTLY it and the van is back up and running perfectly!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them