Thread: Axle question

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1992 lite ace turbodiesel 4wd 2001 ford e350 boxvan

Axle question

Hi everybody! Been reading the forums and impressed with the community. Want to introduce myself and have a question.

Recently purchased a JDM 1992 Lite-ace 4wd 5sp turbodiesel van. Drivetrain seems to be identical to the 4wd vans sold domestically, and the same motor came on a '86 camry. The van needed a clutch, an alignment, and the outer CV boot on the left axle was torn. Clutch wasn't too bad although I never did find the proper pilot bearing (not the same as the van sold here!). The axle was a bit of a pain. The CV joint has some play, very little visible wear, but feels rough (but got bettter when cleaned thoroughly). My inclination is to replace the axle, but having a hard time locating one. I have seen OEM axles for $400, but this seems excessive. Can't find aftermarket anything. I am going to but a new boot on it (a $30 autozone 1-piece boot since I don't think it will last long) and put it back in, but would like to replace the axle at some point. So my questions are:
    1. Anybody know of a source for an aftermarket axle?
    2. I have seen just the outer CV joint for sale, anybody try this? Does it just require a big hammer to separate the CV joint from the axle?
    3. Does anybody have the torque specs for reassembling the axle? I have been stealing torque specs from a tacoma manual but it would be good to verify.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Axle question

With all due respect to the moderators, my question is 4wd specific and might get more attention in the 4wd subforum. The drivetrain for this van appears to be identical to the US 4wd vans.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

You gotta look up the liteace part numbers and compare to the US part numbers.

There is another thread or two on part numbers and foreign parts.

I would think the axels would be the same though but look it up to be sure.

I think i need a new CV joint so reply back with your experience.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

I checked toyodiy.com and it's the same part number (43430-28011) as the van sold here. L and R are the same. No luck finding anything aftermarket, best I could find is OEM for $400:
    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...430-28011.html

I cleaned my outer CV joint thoroughly with a combo of engine degreaser, brake cleaner and compressed air then put it back together with a $23 aftermarket outer boot kit (beck/arnley 103-2623). I have the $75 toyota boot kit but am going to return it. Ended up using hose clamps on the inner boot. If it were a fwd vehicle I wouldn't trust it, but the axle is just sitting there when 4wd is not engaged so it feels like a safe experiment!

Found the 1987 manual linked to in http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...service+manual It says to not dissassemble the outboard joint, so I'm not sure it's possible to replace that by itself.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    I think i need a new CV joint so reply back with your experience.
    You might want to find a wrecking yard part and put a new boot kit on it.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Did you see this thread?

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...s-and-u-joints

Maybe taking it to a driveshaft shop is the best deal if you're going to keep the van for a while.

I also wonder how similar the drive shaft from a pickup or 4runner would be. Maybe it's slightly long and could be shortened by a shop for not much?

All this sounds a little annoying though. Especially if its your only vehicle.

Or have custom long swing arms made and then get the longer axel from some other vehicle and give yourself a nice lift in the front

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    93 Toyota townace 4x4

hey I have the same van but over in Sweden! its my second 4x4 one. the first being a 85.
    I am a bit confused to you saying replacing the axle? this is probably a moment where English car terms are getting me confused! do you mean you just want to replace the over cv joint?
    to change the front axle is a big job as it lives in a subframe under the engine. it also has a very easy life and spends most of its time sat idly doing nothing until the transfer case is locked in and the hubs locked.
    a new cv and possibly inner bearings would be a great start!
    another thing to consider is the fact that when 4x4 is engaged you are very unlikely to be going fast! I think your cleaning and a new boot will do you well for ages!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the words of encouragement Oli! Yes, it's the outer CV joint on the left side front axle that is bad. I put it back together with the new boot and it seems OK driving around the block a few times. I agree that it should work well for awhile and the worst that can happen is that I wouldn't be able to use 4wd.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

still on my quest to replace my CV axels, inner boots blown on both axels. 4wd seems to work but snow will be flying before we know

My question is regarding the part # mystery I uncovered on ToyoDIY

My VIN shows 43430-28010 as the part number
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198....html?hl=43410

Cross referencing the 43430-28010 part I get this list of vehicles:
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=43430-28010&mU=on

Based on this posting I also tried 43430-28011 just for kicks and noticed there is overlap, indicating the parts are interchangable even tho they have difference part #'s (??!)
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=43430-28011&mU=on

You can also see here that both parts show the same van config:
    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem-...xle_shaft.html

So the question is whether is whether a 28010 and 28011 are interchangeable?
    Last edited by cpginkpt; 08-01-2019 at 08:50 AM.