Thread: Van will not start -HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Van will not start -HELP!

Drove my 1985 to work yesterday and it ran fine as always. Got in it to leave work and would not start! I first put my jumper wire in to make sure fuel pump was working and I could hear it running, It has 1/2 tank of gas. Pulled a plug wire and stuck a spare plug on - fire is jumping off the plug. I tried a spray of starting fluid in the air intake. Still nothing. I have fire and I have fuel, what else could be wrong? Any ideas on what to check next?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

Re: Van will not start -HELP!

Is it trying to turn over?
    or do you just hear a click?
    or do you hear nothing when turning the key?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Yes it is turning over just will not start.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

I bet it is the igniter. They usually randomly fail.

When the igniter goes bad, it will turn but wont start. You can try replacing that.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 LE- Manual 5 spd

They say fuel, air, and spark, right? Well, I ran into something recently a bit off that beaten path after a recent tune up that gave me the same problem as yourself. It turned out to be a slightly loose water temp sensor connection. The engine would juuuuuust click over, and you think it's gonna start, but then mine would always die right after letting off the key. My starter would grind too if the key was left on for a hair too long, so that told me that it was doing its job.

The only reason I sought out the temp sensor was because I had disconnected it during the tune up. When I had it apart, mine seemed to be more corroded than most electrical connections I've seen around my engine. For all I know it's the original components still going. But that aside, the connection was just barely loose and once I properly connected the harness it started first time no problem and every time after.

Try checking your sensor connection for corrosion. It's easy enough to visually inspect and remediate anything that looks suspect. I think it may be a connection more prone to corrosion due to the proximity to the coolant system.

Otherwise, I've also had your problem with arcing in the distributor as diagnosed by my mechanic. They replaced the cap a rotor and that got me going again.

I was having slight troubles starting it for a bit before it totally quit though... were you noticing problems before with starting?
    Last edited by kinger; 11-29-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo correction

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

Check for vacuum leaks, specifically at the main intake hose.

I second the igniter, but check all your wires, cap, rotor too...even if you had spark at one cylinder.