Thread: leaking diesel pump

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    93 Toyota townace 4x4

leaking diesel pump

leaking diesel pump

hello all! noticed a wonderful smell of diesel the other day so had a crawl around. the one thing I was dreading was an issue with the pump so I was pretty over the damn moon to see fuel all over the pump.
    so today I had a full on root around the pump. it appears to be seeping from around the top plate. luckily the van still runs great so I'm guessing its just a few tired old o-rings and hopefully just the top gasket. so with any luck I can sort it without removing the pump!!!

AYWAY...... heres my question???
    I've found a few seal kits from Bosch and other manufacturers for the hilux pumps of the same era. thy look similar in diagrams and on a few websites they state they will fit the 2ct pumps. does anyone stateside or anywhere in the world for that matter know of any kits out there???

Im really not keen on rebuilding the pumps it would have to be sent off to the uk or Australia/Japan. I can't lose the van for a few months waiting!!
    Secondly I'm not keen on fitting a secondhand pump. mine has only covered 85k miles. I suspect its just the seals leaking as its had a change in lifestyle lately!!
    has anyone had any experience of this or searched out any answers before. not having much joy....

Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Toyota Masterace 1989

Re: leaking diesel pump

Ouch, I just had the same on my Masterace 1989... ended up having to get it rebuilt locally for a cool 1k... (NZD) Just not confident taking apart something that fiddly and getting it back together right

What I heard from the place was is as they get old the rings harden, if you manage to find and replace the one that leaks it'll put more pressure on the others and you could be doing it all over again. Beyond that I thought the lower seals (on the drain) were the ones leaking on mine, it's just damn hard to tell with diesel..

Name:  IMAG1595.jpg
Views: 4930
Size:  94.4 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    93 Toyota townace 4x4

Re: leaking diesel pump

ah I was suspecting to pay about that much. I've found a fairly comprehensive Bosch kit that covers all the main seals so I'm going to go with that. as far as I can imagine an overhaul just includes replacing the seals, diaphragms and checkin its all in spec. so as its on such a low mileage I will hope its just squared o-rings causing the weeping.
    It costs a whopping 30 nz dollars too!