Thread: Continiously Running Fuel Pump: Problem?

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

Continiously Running Fuel Pump: Problem?

So I know this sound pretty dumb, but is running the fuel pump continuously for a week or so a problem?

My circuit-opening relay's on the fritz. I already ordered a new one, but I'd still like to drive the van around while I wait. Am I begging for catastrophic failure if I just jump the relay and run the pump continuously while driving? Casual in-town driving vs long highway drives?

Doesn't the pump pretty much run constantly anyway and the fuel just goes back out the return line?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: Continiously Running Fuel Pump: Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So I know this sound pretty dumb, but is running the fuel pump continuously for a week or so a problem?

My circuit-opening relay's on the fritz. I already ordered a new one, but I'd still like to drive the van around while I wait. Am I begging for catastrophic failure if I just jump the relay and run the pump continuously while driving? Casual in-town driving vs long highway drives?

Doesn't the pump pretty much run constantly anyway and the fuel just goes back out the return line?
    I think your fine as long as you don't leave the ignition on while the engine is off. The fuel pump I have noticed starts to work when the key is in the start cranking (III) position and then is on obviously the whole time the engine is running. I believe the fuel pump does operate at one speed to generate pressure and the then FP pressure regulator maintains the pressure. I would not do it long term. How has it worked out so far?

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

Re: Continiously Running Fuel Pump: Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    I think your fine as long as you don't leave the ignition on while the engine is off. The fuel pump I have noticed starts to work when the key is in the start cranking (III) position and then is on obviously the whole time the engine is running. I believe the fuel pump does operate at one speed to generate pressure and the then FP pressure regulator maintains the pressure. I would not do it long term. How has it worked out so far?
    Worked out just fine.

FYI- the distance between the terminals of the wires you need to jump on the 6-pin harness (where the relay plugs in) is bridged by a 15a fuse ~perfectly~.