Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lift gate / rear hatch lock cylinder

  1. #1
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '88 Cargo 4x4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Lift gate / rear hatch lock cylinder

    Hi all, I'm a new Van owner and the lock cylinder is non-functional in my hatch. I can't figure out how to remove the thing. I've tried lubricating it and the locking mechanisms to no avail.

  2. #2
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    93 Toyota townace 4x4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Removing the hatch's lock cylinder?

    by hatch do you mean the back door?
    if so take the interior trim panel off and all the chains will be exposed. there is a push rod going don to the catch at the bottom. get some pliers on it and pull it up! if it won't move due to the lock then just pop the plastic clip off it where it joins the lock mechanism then it should work freely.
    be careful though they are often brittle with age!
    Last edited by oli larsen; 12-15-2017 at 08:35 AM.

  3. #3
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van LE
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    1

    change the cylinder core of the back door.

    Hey,

    Are the doorlock cylinder cores interchangeable. I got a 1986 LE van.
    Can I replace the backdoor cylinder core with the cylinder core of a front door or sliding door?

    greetings JP

  4. #4
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE Van 4x4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    I'm also curious about this. My 88 has 2 bad door cylinders that just hang there, looking like they're ready to fall out.

  5. #5
    Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cedar City, UT
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    Not sure about the LE or power locks, but i removed all the lock cores on my 87 cargo (with manual locks) to have them cleaned and re-cored by a locksmith, and they all looked exactly the same.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

  6. #6
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van LE
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    Name:  slot 4.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  76.8 KBThis is the rear door lock cylinder as it came out of my '86 californian van LE.



    Name:  slot 5.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  92.6 KBOn the left the back-door lock cylinder and on the right a front door lock cylinder. You see the difference, they are also not interchangeable.

    Name:  slot 6.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  76.1 KBThan i took the backdoor lock of my European Van (Model-F), also 1986. The complete locks are interchangeable, but not the cylinders

    greetings JP

  7. #7
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 TV - 2WD Automatic - 190k (IG:@dialupthevan)
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    Does anyone have an after-market part # for the back door cylinder?
    I'm looking to replace a manual lock on my 89, Thank you!
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

  8. #8
    Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cedar City, UT
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    I correct my earlier statement. The rear lock core is different. Mine looked like the photo above. Its exposed to the elements and gets clogged up extremely easy. I was able to have the locksmith clean it up and recore it along with my others so it was working again (until I went on a really dusty road - now its clogged again lol)

    As far as part number, I dont have it but IIRC they are NLA? Not 100% sure on that, but you could also get one used off another van or have a locksmith dissemble it and clean it up and get it working again and matched to your key...
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

  9. #9
    Forum Newbie Papay's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Liteace KM30
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    Quote Originally Posted by spacecruisers View Post
    I correct my earlier statement. The rear lock core is different. Mine looked like the photo above. Its exposed to the elements and gets clogged up extremely easy. I was able to have the locksmith clean it up and recore it along with my others so it was working again (until I went on a really dusty road - now its clogged again lol)

    As far as part number, I dont have it but IIRC they are NLA? Not 100% sure on that, but you could also get one used off another van or have a locksmith dissemble it and clean it up and get it working again and matched to your key...
    I bought a complete set of new lock cylinders with keys and ignition cylinder, on eBay, similar to this pic. I think it came from Australia. Dude has an eBay store with a selection of the things, which seem either Malaysian or Chinese. They were a direct fit, but I had to swap the little metal 'flag' tab on some of them. Presumably Toyota used them for various model vans and trucks.

    Name:  locks keys.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  13.6 KB

  10. #10
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 TV - 2WD Automatic - 190k (IG:@dialupthevan)
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: change the cylinder core of the back door.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    I bought a complete set of new lock cylinders with keys and ignition cylinder, on eBay, similar to this pic. I think it came from Australia. Dude has an eBay store with a selection of the things, which seem either Malaysian or Chinese. They were a direct fit, but I had to swap the little metal 'flag' tab on some of them. Presumably Toyota used them for various model vans and trucks.

    Name:  locks keys.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  13.6 KB
    Any chance you have that eBay link or part number? I need to swap the cylinder on the back hatch
    Thanks!
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

  11. #11
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lakeside, Az.
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Lift gate / rear hatch lock cylinder

    They sell lock cylinder's for our vans on Amazon.

    https://www.amazon.com/PT-Auto-Wareh...=lock+cylinder

    They were used on several models... trucks, corollas and so on.

    I haven't seen any combo sets, but it's a simple job for any decent locksmith to match the cylinder's and an ignition.

    Heres the ignition, also from Amazon.

    https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...3Atoyota%3Avan

    And is your name Johnny Delgado by chance?

  12. #12
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 TV - 2WD Automatic - 190k (IG:@dialupthevan)
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Lift gate / rear hatch lock cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    They sell lock cylinder's for our vans on Amazon.

    https://www.amazon.com/PT-Auto-Wareh...=lock+cylinder

    They were used on several models... trucks, corollas and so on.

    I haven't seen any combo sets, but it's a simple job for any decent locksmith to match the cylinder's and an ignition.

    Heres the ignition, also from Amazon.

    https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...3Atoyota%3Avan

    And is your name Johnny Delgado by chance?


    Right on! Thank you.


    Jonathan but close enough haha, Have we met at a car show or something?
    Last edited by Jdelgado; 12-24-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

  13. #13
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lakeside, Az.
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Lift gate / rear hatch lock cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdelgado View Post
    Right on! Thank you.


    Jonathan but close enough haha, Have we met at a car show or something?
    I knew a Johnny D. in SoCal quite a while back... Refinery Worker.

    As for the lock cylinders, it's on my list to replace them all w a new, not worn out set up. My Locksmith said bring them and he can make them all keyed the same. Apparently these are fairly simple.

  14. #14
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Ivory 1987 Manual 4WD
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    nowhere, everywhere
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Lift gate / rear hatch lock cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    They sell lock cylinder's for our vans on Amazon.

    https://www.amazon.com/PT-Auto-Wareh...=lock+cylinder

    They were used on several models... trucks, corollas and so on.
    just so everyone knows this is for the doors, NOT the rear hatch lock.. i stupidly misread that and ordered it thinking it was the hatch lock. didn't notice until i tried to install and felt like a dingus >_<

    does anyone know how / specifications to find one for the rear hatch lock? (the longer one in the photos on this thread)
    my hatch handle i got off a van at a scrap yard, but i have an 87. which brings me back to my occasional wondering of if there are different body parts within the same year?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •