Thread: How do I remove those bolts holding the rotor to the hub when the hub rotates?!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

How do I remove those bolts holding the rotor to the hub when the hub rotates?!

Hi guys, I am a brand new owner I just put 2,000 miles on this van in two weeks. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS VAN. So I want to learn how to do all the mechanic stuff myself, and I know NOTHING about cars but I love to learn and have had success in the past rebuilding carb, diagnosing and repairing starter relay, starter, alternator, and carborator on my RV. SO I 'm not totally inept after-all.

however I have NEVER done a brake job. I am also replacing the ball joints using the "two hour guide" here but doing the brakes and rotors at the same time.

So the manual said to take off the hub and rotor assembly, THEN take off the bolts holding the hub and rotor. Now that I have this all loose ... How in the world can I hold the thing still to exert enough force to the nuts?!

Thank you for your help.
    Tomas

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: How do I remove those bolts holding the rotor to the hub when the hub rotates?!

The easy way is to use an impact gun. Air is preferred, but they make some pretty good electric stuff........even some cordless ones are decent. If you don't have one, an alternate way is to have somebody step on the brakes BEFORE you disassemble/disable them, break them loose, then follow the manual. Wait on the final torque until after the brakes are reassembled, then after you've bled the brakes, have your helper hold them down again while you torque. An alternate, alternate method could be to simply use a pry bar between the wheel studs to hold it still for breaking loose/retorquing. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Re: How do I remove those bolts holding the rotor to the hub when the hub rotates?!

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The easy way is to use an impact gun. Air is preferred, but they make some pretty good electric stuff........even some cordless ones are decent. If you don't have one, an alternate way is to have somebody step on the brakes BEFORE you disassemble/disable them, break them loose, then follow the manual. Wait on the final torque until after the brakes are reassembled, then after you've bled the brakes, have your helper hold them down again while you torque. An alternate, alternate method could be to simply use a pry bar between the wheel studs to hold it still for breaking loose/retorquing. Tim
    Tim you are the king, I have been reading a lot of your wisdom here. Thank you for your reply.

Aww, well as I was following the manual to a T... it told me to have already removed the brakes and caliper as I have done, so it is all free flowing. Is there some way I can clamp it down tight enough to use an impact gun (or better yet a breaker bar since I don't have the gun)?

If not maybe the easiest thing would be to take to an auto shop and see if I can't get them to take it off for a few bucks and then after I put it all back together I can use the "friend braking" method on the other side.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

put a bar between the wheel studs and wedge it so it hits the ground. If the hub is already removed, use it against the breaker bar to get your leverage.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    put a bar between the wheel studs and wedge it so it hits the ground. If the hub is already removed, use it against the breaker bar to get your leverage.
    That was the ticket. The first two bolts came off great then the next two were so tight I was afraid I'd break the bearing or bend my axle so I put it on the ground and had a thick round "candy cane" type pry bar that I put around one bold on the right and my breaker bar on the nut on the opposite side (left) and was able to squeeze them together.

I am sure I'm going to be on these boards a lot as i restore this van into shape. thank you kindly for existing here and for your help.