Thread: OEM subwoofer (LE Vans)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

OEM subwoofer (LE Vans)

Replacing the radio and can't find a wiring diagram that shows an amplifier. Called the Crutchfield tech and they don't show any of the models as having an amp either. They had remote power for a separate tape deck, but I don't think that's what it is either. The caveman in me wants to pull it out and smash it with a rock or sell it on ebay. Just want to make sure it's nothing important first.

Never mind the scooby doo hair. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: What is this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by beetleswamp View Post
    Replacing the radio and can't find a wiring diagram that shows an amplifier. Called the Crutchfield tech and they don't show any of the models as having an amp either. They had remote power for a separate tape deck, but I don't think that's what it is either. The caveman in me wants to pull it out and smash it with a rock or sell it on ebay. Just want to make sure it's nothing important first.

Never mind the scooby doo hair. Thanks.
    Its a speaker (mid range) gives a more full sound. None of the stock stereos for the Van were pre-amp. The amp was built in

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

Thank you. I never would have guessed speaker. Obviously it's powered since there are wires going to it. Don't think it works anyway so will take it out and post some photos when we get the van back from the mechanic. They are taking their dear sweet time with the gummy bear issue.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by beetleswamp View Post
    Thank you. I never would have guessed speaker. Obviously it's powered since there are wires going to it. Don't think it works anyway so will take it out and post some photos when we get the van back from the mechanic. They are taking their dear sweet time with the gummy bear issue.
    Its a strange one the speaker grill is on the bottom essentially pointing to the floor

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

Very strange placement indeed. Can't find a diagram that shows how it's wired in, but as long as I can disconnect it and nothing bad will happen I'm sure installing a fresh round of modern speakers in all the other pockets will pick up the slack.

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

So I've got one of these too, I just found out. I'd like to use it with my aftermarket stereo because it (probably? maybe?) still works. 4/5 wires of the "sub" harness seem to be connected appropriately, but one is not connected to anything currently.

Name:  sub wiring.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  42.0 KB

Anyone know what the pink/blue wire is, and how I might be able to splice it into my current harness to make it work?

I'm kinda an ignoramus when it comes to audio stuff.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van 4X4

Re: OEM subwoofer (LE Vans)

Is this sub on all the vans or only certain trims? Where would it be hiding if it was on my van?

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

The OEM subwoofer is only on the LE trim vans. If you have an LE, look to the right of your accelerator pedal. It's the bottom item of the OEM stereo component stack.

Name:  OEM_subwoofer_DSC00696.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  61.7 KB

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Oh that is perfect! Mine has the woofer as well, although it is mounted vertically, maybe because it has the fridge.
    I was not going to use the woofer, but it is absolutely the perfect spot to mount an amp!
    Anyone wants my woofer? It looks in descent shape.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Silver Cargo Van.

I had that sub on my one LE. It did add some body to the inherently anemic sounding front and rear speakers.
    Cool design.
    I didn't know I was such an angular Van guy... Proud driver of 80s Toyota Vans since 1995.
    My happy place: SpaceEgg: A Silver 4Y 1986 Cargo Van.
    Past vans: 1987 4Y White Cargo, 1985 3Y 2-tone Copper LE Passenger, 1986 4Y White Cargo.