Thread: fuel problem?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Unhappy fuel problem?

hello all, i've got a 1987 le 4wd van that won't start and i believe it's a fuel problem:
    a while ago it began having trouble when i was driving it, specifically when i was angled down and forward the van would hesitate to take off from say a stop light. the van finally died when i was driving into a parking garage, again angled forward and down. i was able to start it up again but after that it died again and then i couldn't start it any more. I changed the filter and that didn't help so i hit the gas tank a few times with a hammer which worked to start it once, but won't work now. last week i replaced the fuel pump but although now i can hear the fuel pump clicking, the van still won't start.
    any tips on what to do next besides bring it in to a mechanic?
    any advice appreciated!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: fuel problem?

Welcome to the party Gabrielle
    Its not that you're being ignored, there just isn't sufficient information to make any kind of an accurate assessment.

For future reference, there is only one way to solve a problem.
    Work through the appropriate diagnostic steps and once the problem is identified, correct it and continue on.

ADS's are incredibly time consuming and boring and also seems like a HUGE waste of time and sometimes they are.
    But you have already learned with replacing your fuel pump, the WAG system only works when you get super lucky.
    And when it doesn't, it can be VERY expensive.

My first question is always the same - Have you checked for codes?
    My second question is also on steady repeat - Have you searched the forums?

As far as fuel and angle of park goes, that shouldn't have any effect on the fuel.
    The fuel system runs under pressure and it should be able to hold that pressure when not running, even if you parked it upside down.
    That said, there are lots of things that can cause fuel pressure to bleed off, but that would also happen at any level of incline or decline.

So back to the problem at hand, we need to know if you have any stored codes, and little back ground would help too.

When was the last time it was tuned, what maintenance has been done?
    Is it new to you or have you had it for years and this truly is a new problem?
    Have you checked the air intake tube?
    Is the battery secure?
    Have you checked fuel pressure? What pump did you instal (OEM, A/M, new used????)was the old pump faulty, like, did you bench test it?
    Did you instal the pump correctly? was there fuel in the line when you pulled the tank?
    Does the problem only happen when parked on an incline or does it happen all the time.
    If its not currently running, do you know if you have spark? Have you checked fuses?

If you can provide more details, I am sure a solution will appear.

Cheers
    BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Thank you that's very helpful! I'll check the air intake today for cracks, and i'll check the spark and the battery connection. I just checked the diagnosis code and got an 11. 11 is supposed to be the tps or the tps circuit - could that possibly be the reason that the van wont run? or is that a smaller issue?

as for your other question about recent maintenance: I just had the siezed e brake cable fixed, as well as the rear brakes replaced. I noticed they ran new brake cables beneath the gas tank and thought maybe they had knocked the fuel pump out of place when they did the job - however the fuel pump now works and the van still won't run!

Thanks again for your help and i'll update if the air, spark, or battery turn out to be the problem!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Ok, so the update is this: the air intake hose looked good, the air filter was dirty, so i replaced it, the battery connection was good, so none of those things should be the problem.

when i checked my spark plugs though, one of them wasn't sparking. I replaced them and that one, the fourth, still isn't sparking. So next step is to replace the distributor cap but i'm wondering if the spark plug could be the reason that the van was dying on the road the way it was - does that make any sense? if just one of four sparks was out?

thanks for your imput out there,
    gabrielle

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Sounds like you're making headway.

To answer your question, yes, running on 3 cylinders would indeed make for a poor running van.

The old plug that wasn't firing, did it show signs of fouling (crud build-up) or was it clean, and how did the other 3 plugs look?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

If you're still not getting spark with a new plug, I would inspect the plug wire for a chaffed or bare spot. If the insulation is compromised the current will follow the path of least resistance and will arc to ground at the breach rather then traveling to the plug.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Is the battery secure?
    Late to the party here, but this was my first thought regarding the original issue — a battery that isn't anchored down or is coming into contact with the battery cover plate somehow. Without something to insulate between terminals and battery cover, a sudden stop (or front end dip) causes the positive terminal to ground, and ... instant dead van. So anchoring the battery and ensuring there is adequate insulation on the positive terminal and cable is an essential part of the troubleshooting equation.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")