Thread: anyone know a mobile mechanic in the PNW? couldnt get fuel line back on after rebuild

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 1987 syncro 1990 aerostar

anyone know a mobile mechanic in the PNW? couldnt get fuel line back on after rebuild

In tacoma WA I have a 89 townace converted camper van interior with 2c-t engine that was rebuilt and being put back together by a mechanic who wasnt able to finish the job due to having to wait 2+ months for parts to come in (a new fuel line) then he had to move, and it literally wouldnt fit back on the engine i even tried, idk if its the wrong part or what but basically its just been sitting in storage now in someones back yard for 2 + years now and i haven't got around to finding someone to help me get it all dialed up again. I spent ~4k for a machine shop to rebuild the engine and i need to either get this thing running for my daily driver or sell it so i can buy something to get around in (im located in oregon right now with no car) so im desperately looking for someone that is knowledgeable with these unique engines/vehicles who is able to help me out by going to where it is and assessing the situation before having it towed to a location because that would be a 1 way trip (i cant take it back to where its being stored currently)
    thanks for any leads / help!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Townace super extra 4x4 turbo diesel

Re: anyone know a mobile mechanic in the PNW? couldnt get fuel line back on after reb

You might be better off having the van towed to a stationary mechanic, than trying to find a mobile mechanic that'll work on it in the field. Especially if you don't necessarily know what parts it'll need.

I've had some work done at JDM Offroad https://www.jdmoffroad.com/home in the past. Brian does good work. You might be able to find a place closer to Tacoma, but I'm not sure of any offhand. The one shop I used to know about in Burien stopped servicing JDM vehicles.

Good luck though!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: anyone know a mobile mechanic in the PNW? couldnt get fuel line back on after reb

Sorry to hear your van has been down for so long, have you tried VanLife Northwest they’re a Dealer in the Portland area that does service and repairs so they should be able to get the correct parts you need or find the comparable ones. As you already know JDM diesel van repairs and parts are not cheap so be sure the be sitting down when you make that call!!!

Good luck and keep us posted

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

I live in Portland and have tried to get VanlifeNW to look at my townace and they wouldn't answer my emails or DMs. I was told that he was only serving existing customers. everyone I've talked to around here recommends calling Specialty Auto and asking for john in the Subaru department. He's the JDM van guy. mind you this is in Portland.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Good to know, I’ve never personally had to seek them out as my TownAce is gas and I avoided the diesel version due to finding someone to work on it and the cost of diesel specific parts. Hopefully John is able to help you!!!

Good luck

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Townace super extra 4x4 turbo diesel

FWIW, when I was trying to contact VanlifeNW about purchasing a van, the owner admitted to be terrible with email correspondence, and said he responds much more readily to phone calls. That may be separate from only servicing existing customers, but might be worth a call before giving up on it.