Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIESEL PUMP FIXES TO AVOID EXPENSIVE REBUILDS AND CURE LEAKS!!!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1992 LiteAce 4wd 5spd 2L TD

Re: DIESEL PUMP FIXES TO AVOID EXPENSIVE REBUILDS AND CURE LEAKS!!!!

Hi All,

We have a 1992 LiteAce with the 2C turbo diesel. It runs great but recently developed a fuel leak from what looks like the return relief valve on the back of the pump. I tried to get a picture of it here:

Name:  Inked20210204_114527_LI.jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  101.0 KBName:  Inked20210204_114511_LI.jpg
Views: 3946
Size:  101.5 KB

Has anyone dealt with this before? Does the relief valve fail? Or does this indicate some other problem with the fuel return?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Blake

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Quote Originally Posted by oli larsen View Post
    ADDITIONAL LEAKS........
    If you find despite doing these 4 seals you still have a leak from the rear of the pump (around where the iron block joins the aluminium body) from the distributive body, and its not just a loose injector pipe then I'm afraid its rebuild time. theres a big o-ring in there that once removed the entire pump needs re-setting up! this, unless you have access to engineering equipment is sadly best left to a professional.
    The seals I've mentioned above though are all well with in grasp of any hobby mechanic!!!
    Looks like I get the pleasure of following your tutorial today! I have a suspicion that my leak is coming from behind that distributive head. In the diagram it looks like you could just remove that head and swap the ring with the pump still in the vehicle. You mention that the pump would need re setting up though. Any insight on that part? If it's just timing the pump, that doesn't seem too bad. I need to track down that tool though that measures plunger depth or whatever it is.

Thanks for posting all this though. It's a huge head start!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyDancer View Post
    Hi All,

We have a 1992 LiteAce with the 2C turbo diesel. It runs great but recently developed a fuel leak from what looks like the return relief valve on the back of the pump. I tried to get a picture of it here: [...]

Has anyone dealt with this before? Does the relief valve fail? Or does this indicate some other problem with the fuel return?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Blake
    Blake, you ever figure anything out with this?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Land Cruiser LJ70

Ive just fixed a leak from the thermovax coupling thanks to this post I had out the thermovax coupling and replaced the o-rings on the shaft and on the cover plate.

But after putting it back together Im having problems starting the engine. I have to run the starter for a minute or so, before the engine slowly start to run. First I thought it was air, but I have drove the car for a while and the problem appears to be the same every time.

After the engine is warm, it starts straight away.

I think I have gotten something wrong during the assembly. What does the shaft work against inside the pump? Maybe something is not lining up properly or something.

Appreciate any inputs!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1992 LiteAce 4wd 5spd 2L TD

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    Blake, you ever figure anything out with this?
    Hey - long delay. No, never figured it out ... it would stop leaking from time to time, so was ok for a bit. But then about a month ago started leaking more and now won't start at all. Not sure that's the issue, but trying to find a mechanic around here (Petaluma, CA) who is willing to look at it but no luck so far.