Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Level Sensor issues

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

Re: Oil comes on when engine has been running for a bit even when full?

hi raven i'm thinkin that your safe for the moment. an oil light will always freak anybody out. you say it comes on when a bump or maybe a hard turn? i'm thinkin the harness that hooks up to the sensor in the pan is floppin around. maybe try locating sensor "left side mid ship on pan" run motor and jiggle wires that plug in there. have somebody inside to confirm light is on off on off. there is alot of heat there and wires become brittle. that could be the problem. for staters thats a good place to start. hope this helps i'm sure some other van ratz will come back with something for you. as a side note the pan sensor is oil temp-pressure and level all in one...if i remember correctly. good luck and tell us what you find out.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Van

Hi joe, thanks for the location. It actually goes off when said events occur. I think that sensor should be replaced. and you're right it freaks me out when I see it go on.
    I'm pretty sure many of my wires are brittle. I'll test out the wire and see if the on off thing gives me any indication.

R

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

I have an 85. Radiators for 84-85 are not the same as 86 and up, and I have not been able to find a new one for years.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

There's an 85' sitting in Tumwater pick n pull, if you really need that radiator you would have to pull it and see if it can be recored, that might be you best bet, unless your Tech finds the right one. And if he does please post a part number cause I'm sure there's some other members that'll want it too!!

Good luck

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Sorry for jumping ahead... Maybe see if yours is a good candidate for a recore first

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Re: Oil light comes on when engine has been running for a bit even when full?

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Hi Van folks,

I have an 84 with 276k on it. She's aged pretty gracefully but there are some issues that have come up.
    1) The oil light comes on when the engine has been running for a while, even though the dipstick reads full. The light doesn't stay on consistently, it'll go off when I hit a bump or go around a corner. I'm thinking it's my oil sensor, but have yet to locate where that is...?

2) Found a crack in my radiator after beginning the process of flushing the system and replacing some of the hoses. (As I was replacing the thermostat which was beyond toast) The heat wasn't working in the front at all and the back was minimal. After the flush something broke loose and it started working. But when I was replacing the hoses under the passenger seat I noticed how much debri was in the line... ick! And that's when I found the hairline crack at the top of the radiator.
    I've been tracking down a new or slightly used radiator... not an easy thing but my friendly Napa guy found one he says, new $110...I haven't confirmed it's in fact the right radiator. Anyone have any knowledge on where to get the proper unit and how much it should cost?
    I intend on replacing all the hoses in the system thanks to your handy pictorial.
    I had the same issue with my 89. Turns out it was the levelsensor in the oil pan. It is basically a float switch. The float part of minewas broken and in pieces in the pan. I noticed it when changing the oil pangasket. A new sensor is $$$. I was lucky enough to discover an 89 van during mysalvaging missions. Pulled the sensor (4) 10mm/Philips fasteners hold it in thepan. When removing it pretend you’re playing that old school game operation andmake sure you do not damage the sensor components when extracting it from thepan. It’s not hard to remove/install, I did mine during my last oil change andhave not had an issue since. the picture was found/used from this site
    Best regards,
    Blake

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I just wanted to point out there are 2 oil lights on some vans. There's the red idiot light that tells you when oil pressure is low (for vans without oil pressure gauges), then there's the oil level light (pictured above) that's the yellow one that tells you when your crank case is getting low on oil. If you're having an issue with the red idiot light on the cluster, then that's a whole different sensor. If that's the case, assuming you're running 10w30, my 1st recommendation would be switching to 10w40. Tim

My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I just wanted to point out there are 2 oil lights on some vans. There's the red idiot light that tells you when oil pressure is low (for vans without oil pressure gauges), then there's the oil level light (pictured above) that's the yellow one that tells you when your crank case is getting low on oil. If you're having an issue with the red idiot light on the cluster, then that's a whole different sensor. If that's the case, assuming you're running 10w30, my 1st recommendation would be switching to 10w40. Tim
    Thanks Tim. Are you then refering to the oil pressure sensor below the oil filter?

I also did switch to Mobil1 10w40 during my last oil change, not sure if thats what changed the issue. The sensor float was broken and inop though.

Best regards,
    Blake

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, although that one pictured is a bit different in appearance from the van's pressure sensor/sender. Based on what the original poster said, I do believe your post on the level sensor is correct (at least for him). I just wanted to minimize potential confusion for future readers by pointing out there are 2 different oil warning lights (at least on some vans). Tim

BTW, thanks for helping out with your good advice

My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Tim, thanks understood. When I aquired my 89 le van late 2015, it was an angy oil consuming/burning machine with check engine light. Now its a happy healthy runner with good smog report and no service lights.

Best regards,
    Blake

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Re: Any way to test an oil level sensor?

I know this is an old thread but instead of starting a new thread I'm gonna ask a ? here . Has anyone unplugged the oil level sensor and just left it unplugged ? I'm wanting to just put a plate and seal it where the sensor mounts on the oil pan but wasn't sure if the oil light would stay on when not having the sensor plugged in ???? My van is down for maintenance right now or I would unplug it and see for myself . Thanks for any input !!!!

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

I can't speak to the 2nd gen vans, but I can tell you that on my '85, the wire to the oil level sensor broke (unbeknownst to me) and the dash light did not go on ... until the oil pressure became inadequate.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thanks for searching and posting you question here. I never really got to know this system and I've never had a van with a functional light. The 86 I'm driving now (I've owned since 1998), has this and it's never functioned right (on-off-on-off). I never really saw the point of the system since I check my fluids at regular intervals (I just ignore it). Unless you have a leak here, I'd just unplug it from the harness and leave the sensor there as a plug. There's actually an o-ring like seal inside there and it might be hard to seal it with a plate. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Thanks guys , I would leave the plug their but the plug is actually broken and leaking oil through the plug .

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

When you do the job, take a few pics and let us know how it all works out . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    When you do the job, take a few pics and let us know how it all works out . Tim
    I'm thinking of just welding in a plate over the hole .

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

You could also consider sourcing an '84 oil pan (no oil level sensor, and no port for it).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    You could also consider sourcing an '84 oil pan (no oil level sensor, and no port for it).

Gwen
    Thanks a lot , that's exactly what I was wondering !!!!

19. 02-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Reason
    off-topic posts moved to another thread

20. 02-13-2018, 06:11 PM

Reason

21. 02-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Reason

22. 02-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Reason

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Re: Oil Level Sensor issues

So I am assuming my level sensor is on the fritz... is there a way to bypass it to make the oil light go off?

EDIT: Think I found it. In the FSM it shows a test for the level sending unit. If the float is down (low level) there should be no continuity. And if up (at proper level) terminals 1 & 2 should have continuity across them.

My spider sense tells me to tie the 2 wires together so the oil level computer senses a level that is adequate from the pan and should turn the light out on the dash.

Will experiment and report back later gator.
    Last edited by Flecker; 01-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Oil Level Sensor issues

That's how one of my vans was when I bought it. There is a small white plug for the harness by the + box. Its bundled into the alternator harness. Just plug in your favorite flavor of appropriately insulated jumper wire and your good to go. Saves the inevitability greasy contortionist show to get to the plug on the sensor. And don't forget to check your oil. Speaking from experience, you never know when a massive oil leak can strike.