Thread: Drum brake return spring issues

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Drum brake return spring issues

Hey guys, I searched the forum but didn't see anything here that addressed this issue so I figured I'd start a new thread and ask the community.

I've been working on the rear drums of my van recently, and can't for the life of me get the second end of the return spring in it's designated spot. For reference, this is where the FSM says this spring is supposed to go:

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  87.5 KB

Ok makes sense, right? However, after struggling, cursing, and overall failing at this one spring for well over 2 hours, this was as close as I got:

Name:  brakes2.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  71.3 KB

As you can see, there is a hole near the spot that I was able to fit the spring into, does anyone know how poor of a compromise this is? I'm using drum brake spring pliers, but I just can't get enough reach with it to get the spring where it's supposed to go. I'm starting to damage the material on the shoe so I just gave up and put it where it would fit. On the other side of the van, the return spring is in this hole (how I got the idea) and, aside from slightly increased wear on the front shoe versus the shoes that were on this side, I have not noticed any other negative effects.

Basically what I'm looking for is either 1) any tips on how to get this end of the spring where it is supposed to go, or 2) whether or not this compromise in spring placement is acceptable. I'm ok with a little increased wear on the front shoes as long as the brakes stop like they're supposed to (hell, one side has already been like this for who knows how long without me noticing). This van isn't my sole mode of transportation and, with the relatively light miles I put on her, the increased wear probably won't become an issue for another 15 years.

Lastly, I have another spring kit with return springs that slide on and around the adjust/starwheel assembly. Maybe that hole is for those types of return springs? Any input on whether those are easier to install than the stock ones I'm using?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Drum brake return spring issues

I hate doing those, always end up bleeding.
    First off, wind the adjuster all the way in (you did put never seize on the threads, right?)

There are several ways of doing it but all involve contortions and blood loss
    There is an incredibly easy way to do it but it can mar the spring, but I have never had a failure as a result.

Get it all assembled short if the spring in question, now grab your side-cutters, back them up against the axle flange and using the points, grab the spring at 90* angle and lever the spring forward and into its hole, as you pull on the spring, the back shoe wants to come with and will push on the wheel cylinder, so you have to hang onto the forward shoe to keep the cylinder compressed while you pop the spring into its hole.
    You will marvel at how easy it is, once you get over using the cutters, just don't squeeze too hard, you only want to bite it enough that it doesn't slip.

Having it assembled wrong will impact both the handbrake and the auto adjuster, best to do it right and be done with it.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: Drum brake return spring issues

Ugh, that was way harder and took much longer than it needed to, but the van is finally back on the road! Thanks for the tip BB, it really helped. Another thing that helped was tightening a tie-down strap around the shoes once it's all almost together to help get the return spring on. It kept it all together so you can get two hands on your weapon of choice to get the last spring in. Even though the second wheel went together in less than an hour (lightning fast compared to the first one), I seriously never want to mess with these drums again.