Thread: "air control valve assembly" (for P/S pump) part number 17630-28010

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

"air control valve assembly" (for P/S pump) part number 17630-28010

I'm in need of this air-control valve that attaches to the power steering pump. The pump I installed is leaking and I suspect the valve is bad. I've found one place with no phone number to verify the part is available. Don't trust it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: "air control valve assembly", and the part number for it is 17630-28010

Technically it's available, but with a price tag of ~$250, to me that means "unavailable". These last a long time, so I'd check salvage yards. These same valves (identical) were also used on 82 - 86 Celicas, 83 - 86 Camrys, and 84 - 95 4Runners. Tim

If you really want a new one, here's a reputable site that has it: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...630-28010.html

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Technically it's available, but with a price tag of ~$250, to me that means "unavailable". These last a long time, so I'd check salvage yards. These same valves (identical) were also used on 82 - 86 Celicas, 83 - 86 Camrys, and 84 - 95 4Runners. Tim

If you really want a new one, here's a reputable site that has it: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...630-28010.html
    Thanks for this info, but they no longer carry it.

Found this supplier:

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1763028010

Trying to reach a live person to verify they carry it.

I'm not even sure the part is bad. I'm assuming it's blowing out the pumps, The original and a replacement are toast. Mechanic said these valves if defective can cause the pumps to go bad. Any ideas to verify the original valve still works?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by dzignpro
    I'm not even sure the part is bad. I'm assuming it's blowing out the pumps, The original and a replacement are toast. Mechanic said these valves if defective can cause the pumps to go bad. Any ideas to verify the original valve still works?
    I don't know, I certainly wouldn't think this could blow out pumps (there's just vacuum passing through it). the only reason I would change one would be due to a leak (allowing PS fluid to be sucked into the intake), or it failed to do it's intended job (engine stalls when PS pump gets loaded). I don't really see this part as being necessary, so if it truly is bad, and you can't get one, turn your engine idle up a bit, put a plug in your pump, and cap off the vacuum ports.

I'd be more inclined to believe you got a poor quality "rebuilt" pump. It's been my experience that some of these "rebuilders" only clean these up and put some paint on them. I've got a couple leaky ones right out of the box before. When I went to repair I found the o-rings to be dried up and crumbled in my hands. Since then I either rebuild myself or buy one of the more expensive rebuilds (done by more reputable outfits). Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

I replaced my power steering pump with a rebuilt one by A1 Cardone...DON'T USE THIS BRAND!!! The "rebuilt" pump leaked more than the one I was replacing!!! I ended up putting my old pump back in until I get another brand ordered.

Any suggestions on specific brands for the PS pump? Unfortunately, I am not familiar with "reputable" PS pump rebuilders.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Cruiser View Post
    I replaced my power steering pump with a rebuilt one by A1 Cardone...
    It's been a bit long for me to remember for sure, but I believe this is also the brand I had with the dried/crumbling o-rings. I also remember it was pretty to look at (had a shiny new coat of paint). I'm sure quality practices change with everyone, but I believe you'll have better chances of getting a non-leaker with ACDelco (or one of the more expensive brands). My A1 Cardone pump was fine otherwise (after I put an o-ring/seal kit in it). FWIW, compared with other designs, our PS pumps are prone to leaks, but a properly assembled/installed pump (with new seals) should stay dry for ~100k miles. Ours leak partly due to the way they are mounted (with a remote reservoir) and because of the high heat in our engine bays. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Yep, the leaky-rebuilt Cardone pump was painted all-shiny black.

I am half-tempted to try and rebuild the original power steering pump with an O-ring/seal kit. If nothing else, it is cheap and would be another learning experience/project. If it goes terribly wrong, I can just order up the AC Delco rebuilt pump...I am getting pretty quick at replacing the pump now.

Thanks for the quick reply Tim!!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Just to let you know, I replaced the power steering pump with another rebuilt one from a different company and it is repaired. No leaks in several months. The air control valve assembly was open on one end, it seemed with it's design, and fluid was in there from the faulty pump. All's well, lovin my van man. Thanks for all your guys help.

Forum Newbie chittychittyvanvan's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE RWD

Re: "air control valve assembly" (for P/S pump) part number 17630-28010

My dads toyota starting smoking pretty bad and the mechanic says it's the power steering air control valve, could someone could help me verify that this is https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TOY...EAAOSwY8NclVZM the same part? Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE RWD

I ordered the part, I’ll update if the part works for future reference
    Quote Originally Posted by chittychittyvanvan View Post
    My dads toyota starting smoking pretty bad and the mechanic says it's the power steering air control valve, could someone could help me verify that this is https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TOY...EAAOSwY8NclVZM the same part? Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Per Tim's link in post #2 of this thread as well as the thread title, that is the correct part number. That's a pretty darn good price too.

My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE RWD

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Per Tim's link in post #2 of this thread as well as the thread title, that is the correct part number. That's a pretty darn good price too.
    Part #17630-16040 worked like a charm, thanks for the help.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Wow. I Must have been really out of it that day. I could have sworn the part number on the eBay listing was the same one referenced in this thread. Sorry if this caused any confusion. That's awesome that it worked though.