Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sensors to overdrive

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 2wd automatic 1989 toyota van le 4x4 automatic

Re: Sensors to overdrive

I just replaced the od solenoid with a brand new one I ordered from Ebay $+180 delivered, works like a charm and shifts like a dream

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

Awesome Javi!

Not to break your heart but this is an option as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A-T-Ove...AAAOSw1V9ePQt4

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Great!! I was told that wouldn't work ooh well it's good to know for future references better late than never

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Diy2k View Post
    Awesome Javi!

Not to break your heart but this is an option as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A-T-Ove...AAAOSw1V9ePQt4
    FYI, I got that one and have put approx 80k miles on it. It has leaked from day 1. It doesn't leak a lot, just enough to make my van undercarriage a bit nasty from the mixture of dust and ATF. If I had to guess, I'd say it leaks about 1 cup every 5k miles. It has functioned well, but I despise leaks. if I had to do it again I'd probably just pay the $180 or whatever for a quality part. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Update to now 7/13 /21 and my od solenoid is leaking the one I paid $180 for wow wtf. 🤬 I suppose I will try the volvo one. Seller will not claim warranty on part.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

To replace my non-functioning overdrive solenoid, I got one of those blanking plates off Amazon or Ebay that keeps the overdrive engaged all the time. It leaked when I first installed it. It turned out that the supplied o-ring was too thin and barely protruded above its groove. I replaced it with a thicker o-ring and it's been fine since.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD LE

Hi Tim - I'm trying to follow this, but for an 87 4WD. My OD takes a very long time to engage, about almost 6-8 miles in 80 degree temp, and I disconnected the water thermo switch to no avail. This started after I changed the thermostat to a lower temp (170 I believe). I read on your post to "jump" with relay wires, but not too sure and wanted to get more details on that. The 7.5 amp fuse is good, checked wiring; non damaged. As for why I changed the t-stat, I had issues with overheating, and on a hot day, it gets hot, but seems to not go over too much 1/2 way up now, so I hope I am good. Fan clutch is working well, radiator is good.

Overall- just can't seem to get past this OD issue. Thanks, Tim for all your help and prior.

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The OD (Over Drive) circuit on a 2wd van is incredibly simple and easy to troubleshoot. I realize you have already disconnected the water thermo switch but for the sake of anybody else chasing this problem I'm going to explain things in detail (so disregard the parts you have already checked). Here's a diagram showing the OD circuit on a 2wd van:

The water thermo switch is a likely problem. It's on the side of the engine next to the distributor.

I'm not really sure why Toyota saw the need for this switch. It might be more relevant on the 4wd vans with the transmission ECU, but on the 2wd vans it's just a simple temp switch that limits OD operation. That switch's only job is to prevent OD operation below 131 deg F engine coolant temp. When your vehicle is warm, this switch should be "open" (no continuity). When your van is cold it should be "closed" (continuity). If you don't have an ohmmeter, just disconnect the sensor and the OD should work all the time (even when cold). If the problem doesn't change with this disconnected, then that sensor is probably okay and your problem is somewhere else.......maybe the relay or the solenoid. The relay is mounted under the front of your center console box between the shifter and the emergency brake. Be sure and check the wires there making sure none of them got disconnected, damaged or pinched. The solenoid (which hardly ever fails) is mounted on the side of the transmission.

For a location of these components and more troubleshooting info CLICK HERE and scroll down to AT-14 to AT-18. Also, here's a link to another forum post regarding the OD system: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...erdrive-issues. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If it engages eventually and your water switch is disconnected, then it sounds like a failing (sticky) solenoid. If that's the case jumping the relay would not help. I had one that was doing that so I changed the transmission fluid. That helped, but the solenoid eventually got bad again. I then replaced the solenoid and that fixed it, but the transmission already had 270k miles on it and it failed shortly after.

If you never need to disable the OD and you want to bypass, the best way is to put one of those bypass devices in place of the solenoid. They are inexpensive and there are no moving parts to fail. Installation is easy, just 2 screws. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD LE

Thanks, Tim. I'll try the tranny fluid change first, as I try to locate the part for the solenoid mod. I think I read it's a Volvo part?
    I hope changing the T-Stat didn't cause any of this!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36200778916...MAAOSwiONYM3Ab

Changing to a lower temp T-stat shouldn't have anything to do with your OD troubles, but based on past experience I would not recommend anything other than a genuine Toyota T-stat. I'm not sure what reason you'd have to go to a 170°, but keep in mind these engines were designed to run with a 180° T-stat. If you're having trouble overheating, going with a lower t-stat won't fix......it will only prolong the inevitable. If it's overheating you should figure out why and take care of the root cause. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD LE

Hi Tim,

I finally got to putting a solenoid bypass. I drove it, but it still seemed to not make a difference, and did not go into overdrive. Is there something I’m missing to do? It’s a 4wd auto.

I did not cut off the solenoid wire or solenoid itself, I wrapped it up and zip tied it attached to the frame. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    If it engages eventually and your water switch is disconnected, then it sounds like a failing (sticky) solenoid. If that's the case jumping the relay would not help. I had one that was doing that so I changed the transmission fluid. That helped, but the solenoid eventually got bad again. I then replaced the solenoid and that fixed it, but the transmission already had 270k miles on it and it failed shortly after.

If you never need to disable the OD and you want to bypass, the best way is to put one of those bypass devices in place of the solenoid. They are inexpensive and there are no moving parts to fail. Installation is easy, just 2 screws. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

When you take off you should hear/feel when each shift point occurs. If you have an RPM gauge it's even easier to detect. Are you counting 3 gears or 4? If only 3, does the transmission ever shift down to a lower gear when you floor it? If the other shift points are late and it doesn't downshift, then perhaps it's a problem with the "kick-down cable"??? If your other shift points are normal and the kick-down works, then it's most likely an internal problem inside the transmission.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD LE

Thanks. Yes, it shifts and seems to be stuck in 3rd. When I floor it, it does kick down to a lower gear.
    With the solenoid bypass does the temp have any bearing on the shifting?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No. With the solenoid bypassed there is no electrical control for OD. It's a matter of hydraulic pressure and where it's allowed to flow. My guess it's a stuck valve in the valve body. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van with windows 2WD Auto

Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time writer here. Im forever grateful to this forum for all the helpful information Ive been able to discover. Ive been having issues with the overdrive not engaging in my 86 2WD automatic. I disconnected the Water Thermo switch, I swapped out overdrive relays and checked the wiring, I flushed transmission fluid and I checked my fuses. I swapped out solenoid with one from the junkyard and I had overdrive for a bit after doing that but it went out again. I would have to press the OD button on and off when 4th gear was suppose to engage on the highway and that was working for a bit before going out. Anyways! Im at the point where Im going to get the overdrive solenoid cut like the bypass plates they sell on eBay and IPD. My question is, do I leave the cable plugged in after I attach the bypassed solenoid or do I cut the cable? Thanks in advance

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van with windows 2WD Auto

Well I ended up going at the overdrive solenoid with a Dremel and recreated Tims pic of the modified solenoid. Van has regained overdrive and it’s ready for the road again! Thank you Tim and the rest of the gang for showing me the way! So now do I reconnect the water Thermo switch or do I just leave it disconnected?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thank you for the feedback . Plugged/unplugged doesn't matter now. OD will work regardless.....Tim