Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Lift Kit?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 4x4 toyota van 4 speed automatic Port hole window style

Question Best Lift Kit?

I have a 1986 4x4 automatic van, looking for the best lift kit/suspension to put on the van. Looking for like a 2-3 inch lift. I know spacers are an option but the suspension is shot any way so Im thinking about redoing it all. Any suggestions?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Best Lift Kit?

Any one?? pleaz

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5sp

Use the search feature. There are multiple entries regarding shocks, Mr. Gasket spacers, torsion bars, larger tires and 15" samurai rims and true modifications of the suspension: a combination of there will get you 2-3 " lift.

-Good luck!

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

There is no kit. You have to make decisions about which method is best for your needs and assemble (and/or modify) the parts yourself. Click HERE for the best way to search TVT.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Since I spent hours searching through a few threads for part numbers, here is what I did:

Front:
    2000 Durango 4wd front shocks - Bilstein B6 4600
    - These are ALMOST 100% bolt in. The only thing you need to do is either have the lower bushing machined down (or grind it) to fit inside the stock Toyota lower shock mount. I forget the dimensions, but I think you need to remove ~1/4" on each side of the bushing. They ride amazing with the torsion bar cranked up to get your desired lift.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...361832&jsn=461

Tighten your torsion bars to a desired height. Make sure to use a micrometer or machinists ruler to get both sides pretty even.

Rear:

2009 Toyota Tacoma rear shocks - PN#: 48530-A9680. Factory Bilsteins.
    (priced each, add 2 to cart)
    https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-48530-.../dp/B00KTJX5IG

Moog CC845 Springs. These take some trial and error to get your desired height. It was kind of annoying, but prepare to spend an afternoon unbolting your rear end, bolting up your rear end, and cutting your springs to your desired height. I think it took me 3 tries and I ended up chopping 3 coils off the top.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=CC845

Tires:
    I'm running 27x8.50 General Grabber AT2

Everything ended up settling at a 2" overall suspension lift. The tires added about another 1" of ground clearance because they were taller than the stock tires.

Last edited by ncbrock; 05-24-2018 at 08:28 PM.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

I'm overdosing on confusing info about shocks, real infos are not very forthcoming from the manufacturer of shock. They rely to much on sale peoples and not

enough on technical customer service. Can any one tell me the difference between # 24-186056 and 48530-A9680. They are both Bilstein, both listed as Tacoma

4x4 OEM, one of them is even mentioned as compatible with the van, but I can't find a tech description other than: "this one is designed for a better driving

experience or handling" Bilstein website is no better than Crapazon or any other off-road accessories vendor. I have picked the Bilstein 4600 series #24-

185233 (2000 Durango) for the front, and I would like to keep it in the family between front and rear. I need to know fully compressed length, fully extended

length for both as well as the van's original. Threaded or bushing ends? Thread and bushing sizes? etc. If there is a major difference in valving, it would be nice

to know also. I would rather make an educated decision based on engineering than " We designed this crap to be as bad as the crap it will replace so you won't

even feel the difference but it will drive better (sware) that is why you are paying $40.00 more .
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

...maybe not the best lift kit,, but the simplest...

...get a second set of springs from the wrecker,,,take the existing set out,, wind them in with the first set,,, re-install....works like a charm!

If you do this, it's important to lower the brake equalizer by ~2'',, that the little rod between the underbody and the axle.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

If you call Bilstein or one of their rebuilding locations I'm sure they will give you all the valving info, rates, and droop lengths. Bilstein is an awesome company, you shouldn't have a problem getting that info.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

I'm not denying that Bilstein is a good company making good products, and I would love to be able to call and talk to someone at Bilstein and compare numbers and dims etc.. Of course I try to find that "Someone" starting with Google and landing here:https://www.bilstein.com/en/ going to expert near you got me a nice "could not find info" or Email only in California USA Headquaters = wait over week end for answer. Summit, Tire rack, 4wheels parts. com etc... could not come up with better info than the "description" you can find on Crapazon. I physically went to 4wheelparts.com store as they are in Miami and after 10 minutes of digging in their data base the guy could not tell me the difference between # 24-186056 and 48530-A9680. and basically told me to bogg-off (Hey, it's customer service the Miami way )Plus they drop ship only, no stock, so no way to physically compare (Money for nothing. They got their MTV ).
    I got most of the front done, this week end, new upper arms, completely rebuilt lower arms, rebuilt lower ball joints, new hardware and Rubber cushions and new shocks, couple of surprises there, more on that later! Still have to do the sway bar bushings and the front will be all new and good for another 28 years.

LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Just an Fyi you sent the wrong suspension in the link for the front springs -_____-

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerReeves View Post
    Just an Fyi you sent the wrong suspension in the link for the front springs -_____-
    link possibly changed?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
    You sent the right model shocks, but the rear instead of the front suspension of a dodge durango... my fault really i should have double checked but i just need to send them back.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Hiace 2000

I'm also looking for a good suspension lift kit. Will take note of those suggestions. Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 5spd 4x4

[QUOTE=ncbrock;32437]Since I spent hours searching through a few threads for part numbers, here is what I did:

Front:
    2000 Durango 4wd front shocks - Bilstein B6 4600
    - These are ALMOST 100% bolt in. The only thing you need to do is either have the lower bushing machined down (or grind it) to fit inside the stock Toyota lower shock mount. I forget the dimensions, but I think you need to remove ~1/4" on each side of the bushing. They ride amazing with the torsion bar cranked up to get your desired lift.

Tighten your torsion bars to a desired height. Make sure to use a micrometer or machinists ruler to get both sides pretty even.

Rear:

2009 Toyota Tacoma rear shocks - PN#: 48530-A9680. Factory Bilsteins.
    (priced each, add 2 to cart)
    https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-48530-.../dp/B00KTJX5IG

Moog CC845 Springs. These take some trial and error to get your desired height. It was kind of annoying, but prepare to spend an afternoon unbolting your rear end, bolting up your rear end, and cutting your springs to your desired height. I think it took me 3 tries and I ended up chopping 3 coils off the top.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=CC845

Tires:
    I'm running 27x8.50 General Grabber AT2

Everything ended up settling at a 2" overall suspension lift. The tires added about another 1" of ground clearance because they were taller than the stock tires.

Confused here, the shocks listed for the front have the same extended and compressed length as stock so you wont have any different travel, the rears are about the same just a little bit longer but not long enough to work with 2.5 lift in the rear. springs worked great but now i'm here trying to figure out a set up that will actually allow droop in the rear axle and not bottom out on the shock internals

My Van(s):

I did the same shocks swap, but I went with theses and the stock springs in the back.
    You have to cut a wedge shaped slice of about 3/8" (at the widest) to fit the van spring, (easy).

20180512_191209.jpg
    LG.

My Van(s):

Could not fit 2 pics in one post Then it flips the pic sideways

It looks like this when done;

20180713_161358.jpg
    LG.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by Krab Krust View Post
    Confused here, the shocks listed for the front have the same extended and compressed length as stock so you wont have any different travel,
    I've seen this mentioned a few times. Unless you removed or modified them, your upper and lower control arms still have travel limiters for both compression and rebound(bump stops). You have not altered the front suspensions travel in any way you've only altered it's position at rest. Because of this longer travel shocks for the front are not necessary.

My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 5spd 4x4

That does make some sense for the front, haven't messed with torsion bar before. thanks for the reply

My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 5spd 4x4

Thanks carbonized for the reply, i have already cut and put the aerostar springs in, just looking for a better rear shock option. i need more travel than the bilsteins for the tacoma that everyone seems to use

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Check out the post for lifting the rear end...

I used some Ford pickup shocks with lots of travel... also used the same daystar spacer that Carbonized has listed.
    The shocks were
    2wd 2000 Ford f-150 shocks, Sensa brand part# 1214-0190. They have 9.75" travel... I forget the extended and crushed overall but they were more than adequate.

Here:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?6403-Lifting-the-rear-of-your-4wd-van-Coil-spring-edition!