Thread: Radiators compared — 84/85, 86-89 2WD, 87-89 4WD)

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van LE

Radiators compared — 84/85, 86-89 2WD, 87-89 4WD)

I am the original owner of a 1985 Toyota Van Le , 2WD , 138K . Confronted with a choice , I decided to dance with the one what brung me to death do us part . I can't let her go but she has a leak ( and a few other imperfections that I overlook ) . In my research I find that the big suppliers do not carry the radiator for the 85 at a reasonable price ...they want $ 500 + . But they do carry many for the 86 ...

Question : wiil the 86 radiator fit in the 85 ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Radiator Question

I'm not sure how different they are, or if one could be made to fit, but I would avoid going down that road. For the best cooling (and quality) I would recommend taking your old radiator down to a radiator shop and have it recored with a high efficiency core. This will add an extra row and allow it to exchange more heat. Of course the downside is cost (expect it to be over $400).

The cheap way would be to go with a new radiator. IMO modern radiators are a bit iffy (not as much material or quality as original). They are however cheap and will do the job. Believe it or not, Amazon sells that one for only $131.34. Looks like it qualifies for free shipping too . Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu...ar=1&carId=001

There's one on eBay with free shipping too, but that's an extra $48: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-Prem...ht_1231wt_1139. Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van LE

Wow ! You found one for my 85 ! Thanks , tim .

Yeah , I'm gonna go with the new cheaper one from Amazon .

BTW , I recommend the Lynch radiator sealer to get you by in a pinch . It worked well for the $ 8 price .

Thanks , again .

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Glad to help. If you have put a Stop-Leak type product in there I would recommend a thorough flushing of the system before installing the new radiator. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

The '86+ radiators DO NOT fit in the '84-'85 vans. I tried.

I would avoid the "Spectra-Premium" radiators (such as at Amazon). Those have plastic tanks, and I've my only experience with plastic tanks was a bad one. Granted, it was on another vehicle, but that vehicle does not have the heat-retention potential of our vans. One of the plastic tanks blew apart when the temp got mildly over-warm (causing blown head gaskets and a cracked head and many $$$$$).

Do a search for CSF (Cooling Systems and Flex) G1000-48602 radiator (for the '84-'85 vans). These have metal tanks and can be found in the neighborhood of $150-170.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's good to know. I knew they were cheap, but I didn't think they were that cheap . I guess you get what you pay for (or don't pay for). I was basing my opinion of quality on the last new radiator I bought (which happened to be CSF). I found it to be very fragile and it actually leaked from a poorly soldered seam after I finished the installation . They did warranty it though and the replacement has been in service for about 6 months. As far as I know it's still doing okay. Tim

My Van(s):

Good info about the CSF.

Another point against plastic tanks is that my local rad shop said they will not recore rads with plastic tanks ... I'm unclear whether it's even possible, but if not, the next time the rad goes, it would be more $$$ out the window if you could even find any replacement rad for a 3Y at that point.

Gwen

My Van(s):
    '88 cargo van

https://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

I believe if this is the right size it would be your best bet!
    if the link doesnt show you the one I saw just input your vehicle and it will.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Radiator comparison

This is a comparison of 2 radiators from 1985 automatic transmission, 2WD van (left)and 1988 manual transmission 4WD van(right).The cleaner radiator is from the 85' and the dirty one is from the 88'

Measurements are taken from the widest points

85' --- 25.5" x 14.5"

88' --- 24.5" x 12.5"

Both have 3 bolt positions at the top but you can see the noticeable difference on the bottom bolts positions.
    Also there are 2 extra small hose connectors on the lower radiator hose side of the 85', there's none on the 88.
    There's 1 small hose connector on the upper radiator hose side of both but they are shaped differently.

The fan shrouds are shaped differently as well-
    85' is completely round

88' round on top and flat at the bottom

If anyone would like to add photos of their radiator for comparison please feel free to post them.
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 02-24-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 1985 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    The '86+ radiators DO NOT fit in the '84-'85 vans. I tried.

I would avoid the "Spectra-Premium" radiators (such as at Amazon). Those have plastic tanks, and I've my only experience with plastic tanks was a bad one. Granted, it was on another vehicle, but that vehicle does not have the heat-retention potential of our vans. One of the plastic tanks blew apart when the temp got mildly over-warm (causing blown head gaskets and a cracked head and many $$$$$).

Do a search for CSF (Cooling Systems and Flex) G1000-48602 radiator (for the '84-'85 vans). These have metal tanks and can be found in the neighborhood of $150-170.

Gwen
    Hey Gwen!
    Any experience with swapping a 84-85' (MT) radiator with a automatic transmission van (same years 84-85)? I know I would have to add a small transmission cooler. Potential parts vans are few and far between here on the east coast (especially since the 2nd generator van radiators don't fit in 1st gen vans) but a potential donor has just popped up, only problem, its a manual. Would a MT radiator fit?

My Van(s):

Re: Radiators compared — 84/85, 86-89 2WD, 87-89 4WD)

The manual rad will totally fit — identical external dimensions and mounting — but as you state, you'll need a transmission cooler. If I were closer to you, I'd gladly swap you one of my spare A/T rads for your manual rad, but with the distance involved and shipping companies already stressed, that's a good way to end up with two damaged radiators. Not to mention shipping costs are through the roof now.

You can always post in the "wanted" section to see if anyone close to you might be wiling to make a trade for a 1st gen A/T rad.

Gwen

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 1985 Toyota Van

Re: Radiators compared — 84/85, 86-89 2WD, 87-89 4WD)

Great, will do (once I get my hands on it )
    Thank you so much!