Thread: Exhaust Pipe Snapped / Exhaust Header

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Van LE

Exhaust Pipe Snapped / Exhaust Header

Hi,
    I'm a new '87 4WD owner and don't have a lot of experience with repair, but my first project has arrived (loudly).
    The front exhaust pipe snapped and I think I've found the right replacement part online.
    Before I purchase the part, I wanted to check here that it is exactly the right part and that I'll be able to replace it.

The van is a 1987 4WD Van LE manual transmission and here is a picture of the snapped pipe:
    Name:  IMG_1234.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  87.9 KB

This is the part I found:
    https://parts.evanstoyota.com/a/6309...1420-1702.html
    I am planning to purchase just the "17410" part and replace it on the van.

I'd be so grateful for someone to help confirm this is the right part that will fit and confirm that it's the only part I'll need.
    Additionally there is a small disconnected hose line that I believe was connected to the pipe but is not any longer. It is now exposed.
    Will this need to be reattached to the pipe? You can see it in the picture above.

I've included some more pictures and information below:

There is a little bit of exhaust liquid coming out of the still attached pipe.
    The check engine light came on when driving uphill.
    More pictures:Name:  IMG_1236.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  84.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1238.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1245.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  95.7 KB
    Another link to part
    https://parts.evanstoyota.com/p/Toyo...740173060.html

Thank you!!

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: Exhaust Pipe Snapped - New to forums

i cant confirm the pipe or availability but what you have can be repaired for pretty cheap if the rest of the pipe is solid.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    i cant confirm the pipe or availability but what you have can be repaired for pretty cheap if the rest of the pipe is solid.
    Do you mean welding it?

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

yes, it could be gusseted or sleeved as well...thats a common area for them to crack i think...mine did the same.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Boogieman is right. This is common and reasonably inexpensive to repair. I've had to do it myself on both my Toyotas as well as my Mitsubishi Van. All of them broke on the weld like that. I would be surprised if that pipe assembly is even available. What I think you are referring to as a "hose line" is the oxygen sensor that the wires are broken loose from which would cause a check engine light. Make sure all your rubber exhaust mounting donuts are present and in good shape too so the rest of the pipe isn't hanging on that front weld.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Boogieman is right. This is common and reasonably inexpensive to repair. I've had to do it myself on both my Toyotas as well as my Mitsubishi Van. All of them broke on the weld like that. I would be surprised if that pipe assembly is even available. What I think you are referring to as a "hose line" is the oxygen sensor that the wires are broken loose from which would cause a check engine light. Make sure all your rubber exhaust mounting donuts are present and in good shape too so the rest of the pipe isn't hanging on that front weld.

Ok good to know this is fairly common and not unusual.
    Thanks for the info about the oxygen sensor.

Any idea on how I can make sure all of the mounting donuts are there?
    And also, how exactly did you repair it yourself on your vans?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The diagram you linked to in your previous post shows several parts marked "ring". Three at the muffler and one at the intermediate pipe. These are your exhaust hangers, insulators, isolators, donuts, they go by many names. The forward two are a rubber ring and the rear two are a reinforced molded rubber part. On one of my Toyotas the muffler had rusted off as well as the forward pipe cracking at the weld so I removed the entire exhaust after work one day and welded it back together on a work bench before reinstalling. I installed a new standard oval body muffler with clamps to which I had also welded hanging brackets and a side exit tailpipe. In my off highway excursions I've found the round mufflers and rear exit tailpipe to be the low hanging fruit so both my vans have oval mufflers and side exit tailpipes to tuck them up out of harms way. The pipe on the other Toyota had been welded twice before and the time prior to my ownership was done poorly. It was also cracking at the flange to the manifold among other problems. That one was done on my brothers lift in his home hobby shop and we actually reworked the longer forward pipe assembly from a 2wd van to fit the 4wd. He has experience TiG welding custom stainless exhaust at the hot rod and custom shop he works at as well as tube chassis for race cars so he knows his way around pipes pretty well. The Mitsubishi was probably 15 years ago and fifteen minutes and a twenty dollar bill at a local muffler shop took care of that one. This is obviously the easiest option just make sure it's a small local guy or they're likely to try too tell you you need a complete new exhaust system.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 2wd LE

1989 hedder (head pipe) exhaust part

Hi, my 1989 van 2wd LE needs a whole new exhaust system. Looks like I can get everything new except the head pipe. Anyone have ideas where I may find something like this? Thank you!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Re: 1989 hedder (head pipe) exhaust part

I competent exhaust shop or automotive fabrication shop should be able to cut (or have a machine shop cut) a new flange that bolts up to the header, and fabricate a new exhaust all the way back for you. The only other option, unless it's still available new somewhere is to get a used downpipe.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 2wd LE

Re: 1989 hedder (head pipe) exhaust part

Thank you! A muffler shop did just that.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Ex- 1989 Grey LE

Replacing the exhaust

So after a lot of patching and bandaids I finally decided it's time to replace the exhaust on my 89 Cargo... There was a thread a few years ago but has anyone been able to find any bolt on replacement these days, any leads?? The Bosal part is nonexistent at this point I know that.

If that doesn't work out I've been getting quotes of about $350 for everything past the o2... sound about right?