Thread: First Post - 200 Miles From Home with Cash in Pocket - Do I Buy it?

My Van(s):
    LOOKING FOR MY FIRST

First Post - 200 Miles From Home with Cash in Pocket - Do I Buy it?

https://chico.craigslist.org/cto/d/t...562161177.html

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s8FZz70G5SprfQHV2 I'll update today as I can.

Hi. New here. I need some advice. Today, if possible. Feel free to call or text: 408-761-1084

Things happened quickly, and I am in over my head and need to climb up the learning curve WAY faster than I anticipated so I'm going to jump right into it.

The short story: Me and the 22 year old son who is even less mechanically adept than I am got into Chico last night to look at the Van listed above. The seller has like six of these in various states of disrepair, but the one we came to see is the one that is running and has clear title. I wanted the boy to get a manual trans, non panel (they look sinister to me) in non-project status. The last item seems like a pipe dream. I think this one can be had for $5k. Just the outside of his budget. He'd put in another $1k on spiffing if he had to.

The seller's name is Brian and located in Chico. Maybe he is well known here? Seems nice and trustworthy, is knowledgeable, but maybe cares more about getting down the road than being a stickler for details, so I don't yet know if we are on the same page when we are talking about it.

Name:  IMG_20180515_000514.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  93.1 KB

We had the car up on the lift last night and I pointed out a noise that sounded a lot like a bearing noise. He thought it was a rattly heat shield. Turns out it was a quart low on oil. (Fresh from an oil change. Oil on the dipstick was pristine.)

Name:  IMG_20180514_234812.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  95.0 KB

Interior is straight up disgusting. I won't mind tearing it out, but was expecting more for the asking price. This is the kind of project I can handle. I think it would be kinda fun to build it out. Carpet kit for the front? If so, where? Do I dare to dream about a headliner?
    I'd spray-foam the back and panel it I think. Somebody talk me down if I'm headed for a bad time.

Steering is a bit loosy-goosy. Not too bad. Not too good. The only two tie-rods I can see look suspicious, but they didn't look like the culprits when I cranked the wheel a bit when it was on the rack. I see a control arm way up there. Hope that's not what needs attention with all that 4wd stuff in the way. A bit more body-roll than I would like. Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_20180514_234802.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  92.9 KB

AC no worky. It's all there, and the button lights but no coldy air. What are the chances a recharge would bring it back to life? Thinking I'll just buy a can of shpritz if I start to get more serious about the vehicle today.

Side window seals are getting crunchy and peeling out of the corners. Replaceable?

It was late when we got there, and now I'm sure I am forgetting a ton of stuff. More later today when we go back.

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to meeting you all!

Ron (and Joe.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Panel Van 2WD 1989 Cargo Window Van 2WD 1987 4x4 5spd LE

Re: First Post - 200 Miles From Home with Cash in Pocket - Do I Buy it?

Mojo,

Tried to reach you. Your mailbox is full. Texted you instead. Your phone should have my 541-xxx-xxx1 number. Call me if you can.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I'd be concerned about the LS body damage and the rust thats hiding behind it, looks like the whole left side has issues.

Having replaced the LS rocker from wheel well to wheel well (inner and outer) I can tell you that $1000 to "spiff up" aint gonna cut it.
    There are no patch/repair panels available, so its either make your own or find a donor (harder than it sounds)

My Van(s):
    LOOKING FOR MY FIRST

We went home empty handed. Brian is a great guy, and we learned a ton, but this was not the van for us.

Honestly we started to wonder if maybe these were a bit too much for us, and worried about making it a daily driver. SoORy reaffirmed these concerns. He will have to keep his 240d, so $6k is no longer his budget for sure.

We have slowed our roll for sure. Going to do more reading up/lurking for a while probably unless somebody has something in their driveway. (wink!) We are also looking for a mechanic that knows these beasties in the South Bay/San Jose area.

In the mean time, know this: If somebody needs eyes and ears in the Bay Area, I will do what I can. So very grateful for the help so far.