Thread: ISO REAR END FOR MY '88 VAN 4WD

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

ISO REAR END FOR MY '88 VAN 4WD

Just received the diagnosis today that the rear end is on its way out. Any help in locating a replacement in the PNW please PM. Keeping my eyes and ears peeled in the meantime.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 7PSI

Re: ISO REAR END FOR MY '88 VAN 4WD

What's wrong with it? I just rebuilt the bearing portion in my 87. It was less than $200 for a timken bearing kit (parts only).

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

I Had the oil changed in the rear diff and they found noticeable amounts of metal in the old oil. My mechanic and I discussed rebuilding as an option. He's a former van owner and said it may be worth a little research if I can find a used rear end. We discussed the obvious down sides to that route. However, the van is offline while we tackle other maintenance issues, giving me some time to explore local pick n pulls and the internet.

Do you have a link or part# for that Timken kit? I'ld like to check that out also.

Thanks
    -Dave

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 7PSI

I used timken drk350. I rebuilt it because it was making noise. Drained the fluid and all sorts of fine metal came out (no chunks). Turned out to be pinion bearings. You should be fine with a bearing rebuild. The gears wear forever. As long as none of the metal that came out was actual gear teeth/chunks. I did have that happen on my last differential years ago. But, I was running close to 210hp through it.

These are a fairly common Toyota 7.5 rear axles, used in vans, 2wd pickups (same era), and more. Some of the front 7.5 axle parts from 4x4 4 runners and pickups cross over too. The axle tubes May differ, but the carrier parts are the same or similar.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce auto 87' 4x4 5spd LE

Here’s a interesting redirect thread on transmission, axles and gearing ratios.

https://toyotaminis.com/forum/thread...ion-info.3313/

Maybe this will help in locating a compatible alternative.

JDM