Thread: 5 Speed Transmission Side Gasket?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

5 Speed Transmission Side Gasket?

I've got a small leak with my transmission, just a drop or so after a long drive. But I'd like to take care of it while it is still small. My question is - is there an actual gasket here? Or should I just use some sealant that comes in a tube? Anything I should be aware of before removing this and trying to seal it... random gears falling out or ???. This may be a dumb question, but I'd feel dumber if I opened it up and half the transmission fell out. This is an '88 5spd 4wd if that makes any difference. And thank you!

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 7.18.15 PM.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  14.4 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Re: 5 Speed Transmission Side Gasket?

Any thoughts? Just open it up?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 manual 4ye(cal) 1985 2wd auto 3y

Theres a pdf of the 87 factory manual download link on this site somewhere ive been using for my 88. Look at the tranny diagram and see if there is a gasket and what the removal process is. Maybe just snug check the bolts?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 manual 4ye(cal) 1985 2wd auto 3y

I guess the real question is, what kind of fluid is leaking?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by lummivan View Post
    I guess the real question is, what kind of fluid is leaking?
    Looks like gear oil?

I'll try cranking the bolts down again - see if that helps the cause.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

First off, I haven't made friends with my tranny yet, so everything I am about to say is gleaned from reading the manual only, not actual experience

The manual is very clear about removing and installing the "shift lever shaft housing assembly" it would appear that it is a separate removable piece.

They are VERY specific about the use of thread locker on installation: "apply sealant to the threads of all bolts EXCEPT the 2 black bolts (1 & 3 o'clock position)
    torque to 12ftlbs
    There is no mention of orienting anything or holding your nose at a specific angle so you should be good to go, theoretically, at least.
    That said, they only talk about it in Trans O/H and it gets pulled after the bell housing and before the tailshaft and install is reversed appropriately.

Have no idea if it can be pulled while the trans is still in the vehicle, they don't seem to cover that scenario.
    Actually, I am pretty certain pulling would be no problem, its the putting back and having all the gears work, that might make me think twice.

If you have already snugged the bolts once and it still leaks, continuing to do so is unlikely to help.

Hopefully someone will come along thats already been down this road and can advise with more certainty.
    Let us know how it goes.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Hmmm.... yeah, it's the going back together part that has me concerned too. I may dig myself deeper than I want to, I'll let everyone know how I end up handling, but for the moment, I'm not going to open it up.