Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: motor & transmission mounts

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: Anyone See This Type of Transmission Mount?

Hey, this is really good. I did find an outfit in Australia that may can build this but it is a real challenge

Can you make any more? For sure willing to pay for it.

I am still getting some hum and vibration at 55mph. I can through the van in neutral at 55 and the hum is still there. So it is happening after the transmission and not with motor mounts. Both the motor mounts and the drive shaft have been replaced.
    Thanks for the heads up.

MT

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

To All,

Maxisback is correct about a post that included a company in Quebec that had the mount and at a reasonable price too. I just spent my coffee hour ripping up the TVT search and cannot find the reference point. Further looked through my notes on envelopes as I am sure I wrote this down but still no joy. I need one more cup of coffee but I am going to sign off here and search a few other places. I will get back if I find the reference.

SoORYotas

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Really - right in front of us the whole time and the price is now half according to the ad. Reference post #6 in this thread for the site nikifix found in Canada (thewrenchmonkey.ca). Part looks correct and measures out after some rough measuring underneath my van with the mount in place. The center hole for the thru bolt looks a little off center so . . . No guarantees but I will probably order one just to put in stock for future needs.

Cheers

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

It is suppose to be off center. Here is a side pic with the mount out and some rough dimensions

MT
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Just an observation regarding the orientation of these mounts. I have a 1987 LE 4x4 5 speed. My mount looks like MyToy's, where the rubber mount puck faces away from the body mounting holes.

pinkgrips236's pick in post 10 appears to have the mounting puck facing the body mounting bolts. Just like the links in the previous posts.

I have never seen a replacement for the style in my van (MyToy's as well), I have seen replacements for the other style (links above).
    Last edited by VanCo; 10-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Totally weird. It does seem odd that the larger circular opening on my mount faces the short side of the plate. I'll have to double check and confirm that I didn't mix up parts by mistake.

The place I took it to is a rubber fabrication place and charged me $30, which was definitely preferable to the 100+ getting a full new mount from CA or NZ.

Thanks for the actual measurements. When I put the final center hole in, I'll be sure to move it a bit off center.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

I just confirmed that there are two different mount styles.

1987 LE 4x4 5 speed:

Name:  IMG_20181010_130943-1209x1612.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  92.0 KB

1987 Cargo 2wd auto:

Name:  IMG_20181010_131140-1512x2016.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  82.9 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

Re: motor & transmission mounts

I MAY have found a replacement mount for the rear "engine" (Auto transmission) mount: I thought I might need one, before closer inspection showed I was OK...

If you look at the "vehicles" under TownAce, It seems to be a match. As well as under the OE Numbers Tab, (this is lower on the page)

https://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?r...duct_id=715939

And it includes what may be crossover part numbers?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

My '88 4wd MT has the first of the two mounts shown in VanCo's post (flat base plate with bolts on the sides). The Febest TM-101 Rear Engine Mount 12303-54040/41 looks identical but is only specified for the HiAce and not our van. I took a chance and ordered it and I am pleased to report that it is totally identical and fits great. It was only $25 on Amazon but I see they are sold out now. It was easy swap, just unbolt it, lower the transmission on a jack, and slide it out toward the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hammervan; 08-19-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I also replaced my motor mounts at the same time. I used DEA / MARMON A7229, which were identical to the Beck/Arnley ones Tim shows earlier in this thread (made in Taiwan, Toyota part number molded in the rubber.) Only $12 on RockAuto. Passenger side still looked OK but driver's side mount was sheared off and compressed like the one in Tim's photo, so the engine was only held in place by the metal brackets resting on one another.
    Swapping out the mounts was easy. But removing everything that was in the way to get them out was a total PITA!
    On the passenger side, the mount straddles the oil dipstick tube so you can't just slide it out. I had to unbolt the fuel filter as Burntboot mentions, but I also had to unbolt the A/C compressor to get enough clearance.
    On the drivers side, BB was correct again, the overflow tank (easy) and alternator need to come out. Unfortunately my 4WD van has the rigid power steering line blocking egress for the alternator, which required removing the fan shroud (and hence passenger seat and service panel, which luckily I have gotten very proficient at.) I wonder if it would just be easier to remove the front driveshaft in this case? At least this gave me the opportunity to note that the insulation on my alternator harness has completely disintegrated and I just have bare wires that have somehow not shorted out or broken.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thank you for the info. Regarding the Febest TM-101, did Amazon nail you for shipping? I see they have these on eBay, but the shipping is more than the part. If Amazon shipping was free (or at least reasonable) I'll wait for them to come back in stock. If your end cost was over $50, I'll probably just pay the ridiculous shipping and get one off of eBay. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

Shipping was free with Prime, so it was a bargain compared to the other listings. Hopefully it comes back in stock. I could see them keeping limited inventory of these in the U.S. if only HiAce owners are buying them!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Hiace 4x4 LH66V

Hey all,

Apologies for bumping an old thread. I have a 1988 4x4 Hiace LH66V 2L diesel with a bad transmission mount. Toyota tells me the correct part number is 12303-54010, which is no longer available anywhere.

Does anyone know if the Febest TM-101 would fit in my case? It looks very similar but my part number isn't on their cross reference list. However on the fitinpart.sg link posted above for 54010, the 54040 and 54041 versions which ARE listed by Febest as compatible, are listed as OE replacements

Name:  20220730_161924.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  86.5 KB
    Name:  toyota-1230354010-1586246128922-big.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  75.3 KB
    Name:  20220724_164553.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  97.4 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    none yet, actively seraching

I also just went down the rabbit hole trying to find that rear mount for my 1987 4wd auto. As posted above the part I was looking for was...12303-54010

per the information in previous posts on this thread I found this westar part still available in canada but for over $100 (CAD but still). https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...westar/em5749/

Also found several places where I could get the Febest Rear Engine Mount Febest TM-101 Oem 12303-54041 for a lot cheaper. https://shop.febest.eu/rear-engine-mount-tm-101.html

A HUGE thanks to those who posted these alternatives because I had spent hours searching for options. I'll post again once its installed to again confirm still the right part.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Hiace 4x4 LH66V

I can confirm, the Febest TM-101 fit just fine on my 88 4x4 5spd which also calls for 12303-54010

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    none yet, actively seraching

Excellent, thanks for posting! Now I just need to occupy myself while I wait for the part to arrive from Estonia...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Hiace 4x4 LH66V

Well, barely a year and 4000km since the Febest TM-101 was installed and it looks like it's busted already

Name:  20230821_105020~2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  90.3 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

That's disappointing.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

How would you know from that view? I got out my Febest mount to double check this and I'm not convinced yours is broken. The Febest mount is only vulcanized at the 2 - 3 o'clock and then at the 9 - 10 o'clock positions. The rubber material has no attachment/bond at the bottom of the circle. Yes, my new mount does have rubber touching the bottom of the circle, but it's not bonded/attached. It appears to me that yours may only be flexed due to the load (could be normal). Are you experiencing banging or shifting under acceleration? Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Hiace 4x4 LH66V

Hmm I hope you're right. I've been hearing a clunk sometimes when releasing the clutch shifting from first to second and second to third when going up steeper hills.
    I was going off the best side view photo of the mount I could find online where it looks like the bottom part is attached, but you're saying it's meant to separate under the weight?
    I'll try and get a better photo of mine later.