Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: motor & transmission mounts

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: motor transmission mounts

U-joints can cause weird vibrations when they start to seize up but usually you'll feel that through the floor "from behind" not "underneath".

Engine mounts are a pretty safe bet at this point, given the location/sensation, not too mention being 28yrs old.
    I doubt you would be disappointed if you replaced them.
    Don't forget to check the rear mount (trans) while you're in there.
    BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4x4 5-Speed

Thanks BB! I decided to go for broke and replace them last night. I managed the get the left side done and the old mount was completely separated and compressed about a 1/2" compared to the replacement. All-in-all, not as difficult as I expected but it required a fair amount of contorting around the driveshaft. I was definitely cursing the fact that I have 4x4. I will tackle the right side tonight.

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

Anyone know where to find a replacement rear 4WD mount? or just the round rubber part (insulator? bushing?) for the mount? Mine's pretty cracked. I ordered what rock auto sells as a rear mount without checking mine out first (like a dolt) and it's a rectangular thing that must be for RWD's.

I'm trying to glean the part number from the diagram Tim posted, but can't quite figure it out.
    12321?
    12371?

Y'all think I could find some other Toyota bushing that would squeeze in there if I saw the old rubber out?
    Just guessing here.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That post I made was showing the EPC page for an 87 4wd automatic. Others may also use that mount. It's Toyota #12303-54010. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd auto LE 87 4wd 5spd

Searching these threads for the rubber part ,Jus like Tim said above , mines tearin up on the way out . I cant seam to find a picture of it associated with the part number , 87 4wd 5spd .

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisback View Post
    Searching these threads for the rubber part ,Jus like Tim said above , mines tearin up on the way out . I cant seam to find a picture of it associated with the part number , 87 4wd 5spd .
    Yeah I know what you mean, the picture is often different and seems to show a big steel bracket (which doesn't look like the bracket the mount hangs from under the van either). That's the part number though. It's stamped on my old one. I "ordered" one from a toyota parts dealer that supposedly has one, but I expect to hear back soon that it's actually out of stock

Frustratingly, a lot of Chinese manufacturers advertise that they can make exactly that part (with a picture), but there's a minimum order to make it worth it.

Here the minimum is only 10. Y'all wanna pool up and all go in on a batch of tranny mounts?

http://www.suspensioncontrolarm.com/...ce-engine.html

The older these vans get, we might have to get more parts this way!
    Last edited by Kyle; 12-01-2017 at 10:30 PM.

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

It says the minimum order is ten ?? if so, how much will it be per-piece ?? if reasonable I'll get in on the first order--

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I may also take 2 or 3 if the price is right.

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

I sent an email to ask about the price. I'll post here if they get back to me.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Arghhyhhhh , my tranny is out , sitting on the ground , and I cant find that rear mount anywhere , anybody might have one used? I live on top a mountain and winter is here lol , already lost work over this .

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Anyone See This Type of Transmission Mount?

Will be ready to re-install the trusty 4Y back into my 86 LE. I forgot that when it was removed we found this transmission mount that I could not find anywhere. None of my docks nor TVT has any threads on this.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for a part number or parts outlet that may have this?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Re: Anyone See This Type of Transmission Mount?

I wasn't able to locate a replacement for mine either. I bought a similar round shapped motor mount from some front wheel drive. AutoZone let me go back and open boxes until I found one that would work. I the cut the old mount off the trans mounting bracket, and welded the new mount on. I went slow to make sure I didn't burn the rubber in the new mount. That's been going strong for 10 years.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks for the comeback. Wow, couldn't find it huh?

So are you saying you cut off the donut and the steel that surround it and welded on the replacement to the same mount?

Were you are all concerned that the elevation of the back of the transmission was not in line with the meat ball?

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

I just found this on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122571705306

But the pics aren't quite right?

Yeah, I cut the round part off and welded the new round part on. When I made mine, I made sure the dimensions were right for the replacement so everything was aligned. I spent a long while opening motor mounts at AutoZone until I found the right one. I should have made note of the part number, but I didn't.

Someone else might have more information regarding this. I made one because it was easier than searching and waiting.
    Last edited by VanCo; 04-07-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Yea, I see what you mean. I did find this but again I am not sure of the dims.

I may inquire to see if the dims are available then compare it to the old one.

Crap, I thought this would be a no brainer.

Bummer

MT
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    Will be ready to re-install the trusty 4Y back into my 86 LE. I forgot that when it was removed we found this transmission mount that I could not find anywhere. None of my docks nor TVT has any threads on this.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for a part number or parts outlet that may have this?

Thank you
    https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...westar/em5749/

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I just went through all this , if you can find my thread on it , somebody in canada sent me a link for a new one , I finaly found a good used one , meanwhile I have a partsvan sitting in a farmers feild that has one , but I cant get to it .

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks for the link nikifix but this ones mounting bolts look very wide to fit the stock mount. But thanks for the help for sure.

Max, thanks for the the thought on the used one. No worries, the one I have is not really bad, the rubber is cracked in three places but it has no problem holding up the trans. Just that now that the engine is almost done and the transmission is out is the time to change this puppy. I noticed before the engine came out that when I drive the van in over riding conditions all is well however when I accelerate, like to pass another car, I hear this low frequency hum from under the middle of the van. I thought maybe it is a muffler issue. But when I dropped the trans I saw this and thought maybe this is the problem.
    When I had a new LE back in 86 I don't remember this low hum noise.

So that is why I am pushing for a new one. So you have a thread from some guy in Canada huh?
    Man I tore appart TVT on google search and could not find much on this. I will look more and maybe I can find it. Will keep you posted. At least I know I am not the only one

Thanks again to all.

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

I may have found the OEM for this part. They are researching my vin and will respond some time this week.
    Will keep you posted.

MT

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

I've also been hunting for a replacement. I wound up visiting my local rubber company and had them fit a new piece of rubber to the old mount. Next, I'll drill out the rubber, fit the metal sleeve for the bolt on the inside, and hopefully be good to go.

I'm considering putting a few more holes in around the central bolt hole to provide a bit more give, almost like creating spokes.

Name:  1070471.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  84.8 KB