Thread: HVAC ducts, vents, and blend door

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

HVAC ducts, vents, and blend door

I had to replace the front expansion valve and had access to the blend door for the heater core and saw the seal was deteriorated. This would explain getting hit in the eyes with "crumbs" of the seal when you blast the fan on high. What I did was scrape away the old seal, clean it off, and replaced it with insulation tape. I'm not exactly sure if this will help anything in the heat or AC department, but I'll take any little help I can get on the AC department. I figured since I have access to this part I might as well fix it. The job wasn't terribly difficult other than having to be a contortionist to get the right angles to see everything under there.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota previas, Econoline and 1 1988 Space Lego Van

103 Degrees in Californa, heater blowing hot air !!

My heater says ir is off and it still blows hot air, the temp. selector lever is also stuck so bad I dont want to force it over to the cool side to the right, afraid I will break somethin......anybody have any exp. with these issues ? its been over a hundred here and really need to dive in and fix these, any tips would be greatly apreciated , Thanx !

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Re: 103 Degrees in Californa, heater blowing hot air !!

Name:  20180706_170333.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  81.7 KB
    This 1st picture is a view of the passenger side floor area. The blue arrow is pointing to where one of the cables from the hot/cold lever attaches to the blend door.

This 2nd picture is a close-up view after you squeeze your head down towards the floor to actually see things better.
    Name:  20180706_170345.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  93.0 KB

If this cable-end that is attached to a metal pin is pulled-in closely to the cable itself, it is in the cold position...if it is pushed-out further away, it is in the hot position. The same goes for the other hot/cold lever cable that goes to the underside of the van for the heater valve. If you are unsure of the position, or the cables are sticking, you can gently slide the end of the cable off of the pin it is connected to. This will allow you to manually open/close the blend door and the heater valve. Both cables ends should be pulled-in for cold, and pushed-out for hot. If you have the cables disconnected, be sure the pins that held the cable is pulled-in for cold, and pushed-out for hot. I hope this makes sense.

Also keep in mind that when it is 103 degrees out, the vents will blow hot air anyway...unless your A/C system is functioning properly.