Thread: Replacement Turbo Sourcing

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

Replacement Turbo Sourcing

When I purchased my van the PO told me that a larger turbo was installed by the importer. Doing some research I figured out that it is a CT20 from a 2.4L Land Cruiser. After installing a boost gauge it seems like the wastegate actuator isn't working, and the turbo isn't really sized correctly for the engine. Full boost doesn't come on till around 3,000 RPM, making the van feel sluggish at times. I'm thinking of going back to the stock size CT12 turbo and am wondering if there is a reliable source for these. I have seen the ebay ones and am a little hesitant to purchase one. $200 just seems to cheep for a quality turbo.

Does anybody have any experience with one of the ebay turbo's? Or maybe a good source for a better quality rebuilt unit?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Replacement Turbo Sourcing

What’s the actual part number for the turbo, CT-12 was made for the Toyota Soura as well.

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

Part number should be 17201-64050. I have done some google searching and found some sources from China, but like I said, I'm worried about quality with these parts. It would be nice to be able to get one from a reputable source.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota LiteAce

Did you ever find a source? I possibly need one myself.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Town Ace 2.2D 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    When I purchased my van the PO told me that a larger turbo was installed by the importer. Doing some research I figured out that it is a CT20 from a 2.4L Land Cruiser. After installing a boost gauge it seems like the wastegate actuator isn't working, and the turbo isn't really sized correctly for the engine. Full boost doesn't come on till around 3,000 RPM, making the van feel sluggish at times. I'm thinking of going back to the stock size CT12 turbo and am wondering if there is a reliable source for these. I have seen the ebay ones and am a little hesitant to purchase one. $200 just seems to cheep for a quality turbo.

Does anybody have any experience with one of the ebay turbo's? Or maybe a good source for a better quality rebuilt unit?
    I'd say just buy a couple cheap turbos. If one burns out you can just swap it out. Also once you have one in hand you might find a shop that can find a US market equivalent part based on the sample. I'll probably buy a couple myself just in case.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

For what it's worth, my turbo went out a few months back and a shop where I take my van sometimes did a nice job with the turbo.

Their opinion was that the original turbo was better quality than a lot of the other stuff out there and it was worth rebuilding vs buying something cheap on ebay.

Here's the shop if you're interested and live in Southern California (Los Angeles area)

https://takeda-enterprises.com/

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Town Ace 2.2D 4x4

Thanks! I figured the OEM product would be better. Nice to know they can be rebuilt. Glad you had a good experience. Once you find that mechanic who’s willing to work on your weird van, you tend to stick with them, at least for me.