Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4wd members with All/Mud Terrains: What’s your MPG like?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

4wd members with All/Mud Terrains: What’s your MPG like?

I’m just curious to see how many miles per tank other members are getting with big tires. I’m getting about 210 miles before my low fuel light turns on despite how/what type of driving I do. Also this is with AC on 100% of the time.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Re: 4wd members with All/Mud Terrains: What’s your MPG like?

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
    I’m just curious to see how many miles per tank other members are getting with big tires. I’m getting about 210 miles before my low fuel light turns on despite how/what type of driving I do. Also this is with AC on 100% of the time.
    That seems like great milage - another question is... does someone know the size of the fuel tank? My gauge doesn't work, so I'm filling up pretty early I suspect (usually around the 170 mark) - getting between 17-20 mpgs with All terrains depending on driving conditions.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    That seems like great milage - another question is... does someone know the size of the fuel tank? My gauge doesn't work, so I'm filling up pretty early I suspect (usually around the 170 mark) - getting between 17-20 mpgs with All terrains depending on driving conditions.
    I think tank size is in the 14-15 gallon range. The most I have put in is 13.5 gallons, and I was holding my breath all the way to the gas station.

The best I have gotten is 27mpg (lifted with all terrains). I usually average between 24-26 for my daily driving. My van is a diesel, so it gets a bit better mileage than the gas versions. I also don't have A/C, so that helps a bit as well.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Fuel tank capacity for the US vans is 15.9 gallons. Both my vans would go 200-250 before I see the light on steady and I will try to get fuel in the next 20 miles though I have on occasion pushed to 300 miles. Both vans are running LT27x8.50r14 all terrains with auto transmissions. Keep in mind that this tire size has a larger rolling diameter than stock and the odometer and speedometer likely are not accurate.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

So what is the general milage on these things with AT's on them? I am putting some general grabbers~27x8.5x14's on mine... was hoping to stay around the 20mpg mark. Doesn't look like that may happen.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I just got a tad over 20mpg with 27x8.5x14 grabbers on a freeway trip. My a/c isn't working at the moment

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by djshimon View Post
    I just got a tad over 20mpg with 27x8.5x14 grabbers on a freeway trip. My a/c isn't working at the moment
    Well that is encouraging... I have the same 4wd 5 speed combo in my cargo van.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

The AC is killing my MPG, but its so dang worth it. It's a HUGE difference power wise, I have to keep it floored on the highway a lot of times.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I would take the poor mileage for the cool a/c but unfortunately the compressor was squeeling and I can only guess that's a bad thing. In the city I'm getting about 14 with a somewhat heavy foot although lately I've been consciously trying to drive slower because there's too much traffic and people to bother with, and it feels good.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Quick follow up to this... My milage increased to 21+ when using Oregon gas. That's about a 3-4mpg increase over the usual - CA gas doesn't help the cause.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I have had mine on the road full time since April. I have been averaging about 20 around town and 22-23 on longer trips. That's all mountain passes and hills. Heck even includes trips where I have wheeled a bunch or creeped around looking for camp spots.

87, Manual, 5spd with 27" grabbers. I did spend a lot of time tuning and getting everything dialed in though.

Holds up to the sticker advertisement.

mpgsticker.jpg

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Grabbers 205 75-15
    3L diesel
    700mi trip to the mountains and exploring, a/c on the highway %40, loaded rack, 21.3mpg
    I was happy

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Ace MM View Post
    Grabbers 205 75-15
    3L diesel
    700mi trip to the mountains and exploring, a/c on the highway %40, loaded rack, 21.3mpg
    I was happy
    Gotta love them diesels...

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Are you asking for responses from people using a certain type of tire?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Are you asking for responses from people using a certain type of tire?
    Yes. All Terrains or Mud Terrains...

General Grabbers, BF Goodrich AT's, Thronchickens and etc...

Bald Tires get the best mpg.

My Van(s):
    '89 4wd

17 MPG regardless of driving conditions.

Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 27x8.5xr14

Thinking they are way overkill for the driving I do.

Considering dumping them for a more 50/50 tread pattern and better mileage. Finding that the fuel costs are keeping me from taking the long distance trips I want to take.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

Something like the Kenda Klever for more MPG?

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Hankook Dynapro MT 30x9.50r15

Before turbo, 16-20mpg.

After turbo, 10-30mpg depending on how bad I need that turbo power feeling. Most of the time I'm in the 16mpg range, but I get that crappy mileage fast.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '91 CR30 JDM & '91 CR27 JDM

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I think tank size is in the 14-15 gallon range. The most I have put in is 13.5 gallons, and I was holding my breath all the way to the gas station.

The best I have gotten is 27mpg (lifted with all terrains). I usually average between 24-26 for my daily driving. My van is a diesel, so it gets a bit better mileage than the gas versions. I also don't have A/C, so that helps a bit as well.

Same here. Roughly 25mpg on 2CT 4WD running Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 LT27x8.50R14.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

On 8/31/2020 I upgraded to General Grabber 27x8.5 R14 LT. 1987 Van MT 4x4 (no AC) in Washington State.

Since upgrading, I've been averaging 15.95 MPG combined: 13.81 in the City, 18.69 in Rural mostly flat highway driving, and 16.23 when driving over Stevens Pass (highway over Cascade mountain range: approx 4,000' elev difference).

98% has been 2WD up til this point but snow's around the corner so I can update once the roads get slick!

GasMileage2.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't keeping track of gas mileage beforehand; would have been nice to see any change from tire size.

MPG seems low by comparison (especially around town; relatively flat but lots of stoplights and idle time). Open to ideas on where to look or how to start improving gas mileage?!?!

Since buying the van in August, have installed a re-cored radiator/water pump/thermostat/hoses, new battery/starter/alternator/idler pulley/belts, new transmission/transfer/differential & engine oil. Buttoning up general maintenance & upgrades (windows, locks, heaters, windshield wiper pumps, wiper motors, air filters) to make it more reliable as a daily driver. Taking a course on engine rebuilding and making wiring harnesses from scratch but up til this stage not too familiar with fuel injection systems. Any input appreciated!