Thread: My baby 94 Previa, modded, 5 speed manual 4WD high low, lifted torsen read diff, more

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa modded with 5 sp manual tranny, 4wd high low transfer case, Torsen rear limited slip diff, 2" lift, DIY coilovers to allow 225/70r16 big tires, house battery.

My baby 94 Previa, modded, 5 speed manual 4WD high low, lifted torsen read diff, more

AVAILABLE

$5500 firm,

1994 Toyota Previa, Heavily modified/upgraded True 4WD HI/LOW, Lifted, Mini Camper van.

Previa-01.jpg
    Previa-02.jpg
    Previa-03.jpg
    Previa-04.jpg
    Previa-05.jpg

More pics below

• 1706xx miles

Please ask questions and for more specific pics.

I bought this ‘94 AWD Automatic Previa in cherry condition with 140K miles for $4500 in 2013. I then bought a 1992 with 180K miles still running like a top for $1300 to get its manual transmission, clutch, driveshafts etc for the conversion (and backup motor) and found an 80’s Toyota van 4WD high low transfer case with shifter and linkage to convert this into a true 4WD vehicle. In all I have around $8000 into this van plus my labor.

Search on my posts/threads here on TVT. I have documented some of my work on this forum.

Features:
      - 4WD with high/low range

- 5 speed manual transmission

-Tachometer

-2” lift:
      -Rear lift accomplished with taller coil springs, and brake proportioning valve re-adjusted, new shocks with lift upgrade.
      -New front struts modified as coilovers with much better springs, and old standard spring perch removed to accommodate taller tires. Front differential shimmed to accommodate the driveshaft angle due to the lift.

-Close to new 215 75R 16 general grabber AT tires which are 1" taller than stock. This size still fits in the spare tire carrier. With the front coil overs, it will handle even larger tires with a bit of steering rub on the tightest turns.

-Torsen limited slip rear differential

-New rear driveshaft with serviceable/replaceable U joints

-Recent brake upgrade, pads and front rotors

-Power windows/door locks

-Second AGM battery runs interior lights, stereo, and 12V outlets throughout, so you can camp and play without draining main battery. Isolator enables charging from alternator as long as starting battery is charged.

-Extra interior LED lights, and switching from rear/bed area

-Extra 12v outlets for charging phones, running a laptop etc

-Kenwood stereo and 8” powered subwoofer

-All electrical additions properly fused and wire gauges sized correctly.

-Set up with rear seats that fold up. In cargo mode this will accommodate 4x8’ sheets of plywood and up to 12’ long framing materials.

-One mid row seat included. Modded base so it swivels with back towards the wall. However with this seat in place the camper setup is compromised.

-Comes with factory service manual and all notes from my conversions

- Camper setup incudes:
      • Bed mattresses with custom Mexican blanket fabric covers
      • One mattress is 6 ft long and the other is 5’8”
      • Plywood support for mattresses
      • One plywood support doubles as a table, One part of sleeping pad doubles as cushion for seat at table
      • Built-in kitchen under tailgate, includes pull-out trays for stove and fridge/cooler.
      • 7 window covers made from reflectix, provide insulation and privacy

Optional add-ons:

• Camp chef ranger 2 propane 2-burner stove (shown in photos) with 11 lb propane cylinder $95
      • Thule Rack Attack Cargo carrier Model 635. 7’8” long x 2’8” wide. Has two cracks in top shell. Opens from either side, includes lock and key. $195

Known Issues/compromises:

-Emissions failed for two hundredths of a point on carbon monoxide. NOX and CO2 are just fine. It could need as little as a tune/timing adjustment, fresh tank of fuel or a different driver on the dynamometer. I do not currently have the circumstances to take care of this. Selling van AS IS.

-Exterior sliding door handle broken. You have to crack open the front door and reach inside to open the slider.

-slight valve cover gasket oil leak. These are notorious for this, I replace the gasket every 1-2years

-The gearing and tire size are a compromise in terms of power and top cruising speed. This van likes to go about 65 MPH at the top end. With the manual tranny, you can always downshift pulling hills, and in 4WD Low range you can crawl, but lacks top end power and speed.

-Better off road performance in exchange for snow performance; The original AWD Previas are some of the best snow cars ever. However the 4WD transfer case lacks the viscous coupling that made their AWD traction so amazing. As such I added the Torsen limited slip rear diff, and it is good but it is still not as awesome as the AWD in snow. It is comparable to other 4WD (not AWD) vehicles in terms of snow traction.

Previa-05.5.jpgPrevia-05.6.jpgPrevia-06.jpgPrevia-07.jpg

Last edited by mountainhick; 09-11-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa modded with 5 sp manual tranny, 4wd high low transfer case, Torsen rear limited slip diff, 2" lift, DIY coilovers to allow 225/70r16 big tires, house battery.

Re: My baby 94 Previa, modded, 5 speed manual 4WD high low, lifted torsen read diff,

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: My baby 94 Previa, modded, 5 speed manual 4WD high low, lifted torsen read diff,

haha! Nice! That would be right up my alley if I had any money.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Had a 84' le looking for a 4x4

Interested! Tried to pm but inbox is full. Have an 01 dodge Cummins 4x4 5 speed for trade. Or cash. Pm me

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

It says sale pending at the top. Maybe that means you, I dunno. It ain't me.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Cwyatt View Post
    Interested! Tried to pm but inbox is full. Have an 01 dodge Cummins 4x4 5 speed for trade. Or cash. Pm me
    Thanks for the interest. Previous buyer feel through, it's available.

Sorry, I don't need the trade. Firm at $5500.

I cleared room in my messages and updated notification preferences so i get alerts for posts here now.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD 5 Speed #1 - 1988 4WD 5 Speed #2

Im interested. I sent you emails via craigslist add. Im in Parker, CO.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

That’s a real cool Previa, been thinking about lifting mine. Thx for sharing

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Bumping this, It is available.

I've been away and had health problems, but snow is pretty much gone here now I am home and ready to sell. A couple hundred more miles on it, Otherwise everything still the same in description except one thing, the Thule rocket box is toast/not available.