Thread: Rims for 1989 Toyota LiteAce GXL

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

Rims for 1989 Toyota LiteAce GXL

Hey guys I'm looking into some new rims to replace the stock rims I have on my new Yota van. was wanting to know if anyone has been able to find aftermarket rims that work well. I'm running General 27x8.50R14LT Tire, Grabber AT2 right now on the stock rims, but am looking at maybe fitting it with these
    https://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/A...pn=W/PAR624665

Any input would be great...

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Rims for 1989 Toyota LiteAce GXL

Assuming your liteace uses the same bolt pattern as NA 4WD vans then no, those rims won't work.
    4WD rims are 5x5.5 (139mm) also the centre bore of the rim needs to clear the front hubs.

There are about a ton of threads on the subject, but standard policy is Suzuki rims (Samuri/Sidekick/Vitara and their GM siblings)
    Does require moving up to 15in but opens up a dearth of tire options (at least compared to 14's)
    If you want to stick with 14's, factory rims are the only option, while some (early) Fords and jeeps used the same bolt pattern they used different offsets.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Speaking of bolt pattern and also wheel width, I tried to put some 14x7.5 Supra rims on my 2WD TownAce van without the tires on and the sliding door hit the rim.

Good thing I didn’t have all the new Michelin Defender tires installed on the rims before testing the 1 tireless rim, that wou”d have been a disaster

JDM
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 08-09-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Assuming your liteace uses the same bolt pattern as NA 4WD vans then no, those rims won't work.
    4WD rims are 5x5.5 (139mm) also the centre bore of the rim needs to clear the front hubs.

There are about a ton of threads on the subject, but standard policy is Suzuki rims (Samuri/Sidekick/Vitara and their GM siblings)
    Does require moving up to 15in but opens up a dearth of tire options (at least compared to 14's)
    If you want to stick with 14's, factory rims are the only option, while some (early) Fords and jeeps used the same bolt pattern they used different offsets.
    Well the bolt pattern on these rims is 5x4.5(which if I'm reading the fitment chart wrong is the same as 5x114.3 just like the lug pattern for my specific wheel pattern.) Im just not to sure of the backspace for my rims currently on the van so thats what makes me wonder.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I think you are mistaken on your bolt pattern. To my knowledge Liteace and Townace 4WD are the same as the US 4WD bolt pattern which is 5 on 5.5. 2WD are 4 lug and Hiace are 6 lug.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    I think you are mistaken on your bolt pattern. To my knowledge Liteace and Townace 4WD are the same as the US 4WD bolt pattern which is 5 on 5.5. 2WD are 4 lug and Hiace are 6 lug.
    I was going by the fitment guide I found online. So the site I'm checking out must be wrong. Take a look and let me know.
    https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/lite-ace/1989/

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

I also found this site that gives you the breakdown of standard to Metric conversions. Is the chart on this site accurate.

https://www.performanceplustire.com/...-mm-to-inches/

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

shanezilla1,
    Yes that site has the bolt pattern wrong, our 4x4 vans bolt pattern is 5x5.5 or 5x139.7(in metric) Very important, as Burnboot was saying, the center bore is 108 millimeter to fit around the hubs (front) and centering lip (rear) these wheels are called Hubcentic where the centering is done by the hubs. Stock 14x 5.5 wheel offset is +14.
    Go to www.wheelsupport.com and do a search by bolt pattern, from there select the ones with 108 center bore. Note that they will likely be 15 inch or more.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

shanezilla1, in your first link , chassis designation "CM41V" has the correct wheel spec of 5x139.7. As these vehicles are for other markets it's hard to say if the other 5 lug specs are incorrect or options that were only available in certain countries. The conversion charts in your second link appear accurate as long as your convert the correct measurement in the first place.

Carbonized, hubcentric vs lugcentric is something that is commonly misunderstood. While proper hub centric fit is ideal it's not a necessity per se for the relative light weight of our vans. Proper hub centric fit becomes more of an issue on heavier vehicles such as semi trucks as the lugs don't carry the weight as well as the hub can.

This link has a good explanation of the difference.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

There is a lot of confusing things in the wheel/ rim terminologie, Offset, backspace, dish , diameter in inches, with in metric, side wall in % just to name a few. I can see the overkill of Hubcentric in a strictly road used vehicle, but when it come to off-road vehicle and the potential "abuse" they may be subjected to I can see why a manufacturer would chose to design on the "safer" side. Nevertheless in our case we have to deal with the manual locking hub and the 108 center bore to clear it. It's easy to forget this bit when shopping for new wheel. I can't tell you how many time I found the perfect wheels until I look at the center bore .
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota LiteAce 4x4 diesel JDM

BurntBoot,

You mentioned Suzuki Vitara as a possible wheel donor. Do you know anyone that has gone that route?

I found a Grand Vitara at a local pick a part with (5x) nice clean alloys. Looking at the specs it seems like a good choice, but they are 6 (or 6.5) x 16” rims with an offset of 25mm. I need to set eyes on them to get the correct specs as I can’t tell which of the many wheel versions listed for that model I’m exactly looking at.

Has anyone gone to 16’s? Why or why not? Any particular pitfalls other than offset and width?

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I actually have a Grand Vitara with 16's and I did try them, several years ago.
    Factory tire size is 235/60 and is WAY too wide, slider hit the tread face (not the sidewall)
    Didn't have a bare rim handy, but a quick glance without measuring tools said it was a maybe, at best.

Looks like 215/60R16 would be in the ballpark for overall diameter, but dont know if they would fit without mods.

Hopefully someone else chimes in

BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota LiteAce 4x4 diesel JDM

Yeah, looking on wheel-size.com, the Grand Vitara has all sorts of widths and wheel diameters depending on which engine and trim package. From 15 to 17 and from 5.5 width to 7.5 width. You happen to remember what width you tried to fit? I’d assume that the bigger positive offset (25mm) would help with going slightly wide in the wheel. I have a JDM LiteAce so I believe the stock offset was 14mm, so there’s only a roughly 3/8” difference (shifted in) to help with a slightly wider wheel (6” or 6.5”)

of course then the fun of picking a tire with the right aspect ration rears it’s ugly head.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Not sure what the width is but will see if I can get a look tomorrow.

Gotta be careful with years the 2nd Gen GV was produced from 99-05.(XL-7 up to 06)
    After that the body styles changed, as did the bolt pattern/wheels

As far as I know, all 2nd Gen GV's (99-05) came with 16in wheels.
    The GM version had mostly 15in wheels, save for 1 trim level that got 16's, IIRC

I believe all the 17" rims are for the later vehicles, with different bolt patterns

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Currently running the (stamped steel) OEM rims with snows and its far too mucky out to be inspecting them.

Summers are mounted on XL-7 alum rims.
    Just spent a 1/2 hr scouring them for a size stamping without success.
    With a very rough eye ball and tape measure, they look to be about 7.5in wide.