Thread: Engine Coolant Leak

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

Engine Coolant Leak

I know there are a few threads already, but the other threads do not address my issue completely. I bought a 1989 Toyota Liteace GXL with a 2CT Diesel engine. The place I bought it through performed a replacement of all the coolant system hoses and the radiator has been flushed and filled with new coolant.
    I drove the van home to Idaho from Portland Oregon, and when I was pulling into my driveway the check coolant light came on. The next morning I checked the coolant and the reservoir needed a little top up.
    But now every two days or so the light comes on and sure as all hell I need to add a little more coolant to the reservoir. There is no noticeable leaks from all the looking I have done.
    I also have just today changed the radiator cap out with a Duralast 7913 (its the 4wheel drive cap replacement through Autozone) Im going to keep an eye on it for the next few days, but if anyone else has some info or experience with this issue I would gladly buy you a beer if your ever in Boise Idaho...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

Re: Engine Coolant Leak

My guess is a small leak from a clamp or a cracked head.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

So the head gasket was just replaced and the head was sent into a machine shop to be surfaced and tested for any leaks.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 LiteAce 4x4

I will look at all the hose clamps to see that they are tight.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

If you have to add, it MUST be going somewhere.

Having a pressure tester will make your life way easier, that way you can put it under pressure both hot and cold, see when its losing pressure and help to determine why. Sometimes leaving pressure on over night will be required to find the source but you will find a leak and clamps are suspect #1.

Personally I wouldn't trust A/M parts in the cooling system, its just too critical and my experience with A/M parts has not been stellar.

Watch out for the industry standard gear clamp.
    When I started pulling wrenches I was told that those spring clamps can't be trusted and should always be replaced with a quality gear clamp.
    Experience has shown that gear clamps are way too easy to over tighten and when that happens, the hose can get a cut that is impossible to see as its is right at the clamp, also the clamp will exert more pressure at the screw as opposed to the even pressure applied but the spring clamp.
    Spring clamps will also maintain a seal with changing temperatures.
    It took me many years to get over my earlier training, but repeated leaks always at the gear clamp eventually made me wiser.

Given whats been done, I wouldn't jump to any rash conclusions, find you leak, repair correctly and life should be good
    Cheers