Thread: Blinker and hazard lights stopped working

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Blinker and hazard lights stopped working

I was driving and went to put the hazard lights on and they didn't work, and then I noticed my blinkers didn't work either.

After pulling over I checked all the fuses under the glove box and they were good. My headlights were still working

About 5 minutes later I drove off and my blinkers started working again, but my hazard lights do not work.

What could cause them to go out briefly and then start working again?

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Re: Blinker and hazard lights stopped working

This is a long shot, but check the connections under the steering column cover. Maybe there loose or there’s an issue there?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Try wiggling the hazard switch. I've had this happen on a couple of cars including my van. The turn signal circuit feeds through the hazard switch. When they aren't used for a long time things get dirty then when you do use them the connection isn't good and neither the turn signals or hazard work. If wiggling the switch gets you back in business than you can usually dismantle the switch and clean it. Just watch out for the springs and balls when disassembling. They do their best to dissappear.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Post Re: Blinker and hazard lights stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Try wiggling the hazard switch. I've had this happen on a couple of cars including my van. The turn signal circuit feeds through the hazard switch. When they aren't used for a long time things get dirty then when you do use them the connection isn't good and neither the turn signals or hazard work. If wiggling the switch gets you back in business than you can usually dismantle the switch and clean it. Just watch out for the springs and balls when disassembling. They do their best to dissappear.
    Don't forget to make sure your blinker fluid is topped off and is DOT 3 spec. . But I do hope you get it resolved

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

DOT 3 for the blinkers? I thought they where running on the Johnny Walker type of fluid? Any way If you don't feel like playin' ping-pong with the the little balls, you can try blasting some contact cleaner in the switch. Hold a white rag around it, if nasty dirt comes out keep on blasting until clean. If no dirt flushes out then its time to play ball! That's the way I do it with my power tools. It also worked well on the rear hatch switch for the ceiling light.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.