Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: manual transmission rebuild info

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa Alltrac 5-speed ........ 1988 TV 4x4 5-speed ................ 1996 TownAce 4x4 SuperExtra TD

5 speed transmission interchange?

How similar are the 5-speed trannies between 2wd and 4wd models?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 5 speed transmission interchange?

Aside from the obvious differences in the tail shaft area (housing and shaft), the internals are exactly the same. This makes the rareness of the 5 speed van transmission a little more tolerable. Here's some snap shots I took from the EPC. The 1st one is of the 2wd transmission, the 2nd is of the 4wd. Tim

2wd Transmission

4wd Transmission

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa Alltrac 5-speed ........ 1988 TV 4x4 5-speed ................ 1996 TownAce 4x4 SuperExtra TD

Excellent, thanks, Tim!

So, judging by the diagramms, the tailshaft is the same part #, which probably means you can take a 5-speed tranny from a 2wd, swap the tailshaft housing from the 4wd, and bolt up the transfer case to use the tranny in a 4wd Van.
    I will confirm this in the next week or two, and post my observations.

Val

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, but unfortunately the tail shafts and rear housings are not interchangeable. They may share the same parent numbers but the last 5 digits are not the same (not shown in the diagrams above). It's a big job to swap things over (complete tear-down), but if you have a bad 4wd manual transmission with a good tail shaft & tail shaft housing, you can swap over any of the other parts (gears syncros, etc) from a good 2wd transmission. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I guess some stuff isn't as easy as one wants it to be

Thanks for the info! This gives me a good idea of the project involved. As soon as we get some decent weather I should have a little more hands-on experience to share.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Success! I was able to rebuild a 5-speed 4wd transmission using a 2wd tranny as a parts source. As has been suggested, all the internals are the same. The only difference between the two are the rear housings and tailshafts.
    But because the tailshafts are integral with mainshafts, complete diassembly is required! Pressing the bearings and gears on and off was fun, good thing I had all the right pullers handy. Donor transmission was in BEAUTIFUL shape inside, unlike the 4wd original, which had a failed tailshaft bearing, resulting in too much fore-aft play, and disintegrated synchros as a result.
    I am very happy with the end result! Put in a new clutch while there too!

New alternator is next on the list..... fun!

Thanks for the help!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Awesome! Congrats on your success. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yes, main case is identical, as well as the bellhousing. I actually used both from the 2wd, since they were cleaner looking.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5Spd LE Lifted 2" with Tracker aluminum 15" wheels and 215/75/15 tires 95 4Runner 00 4Runner 3in lift 84 Extra Cab 4WD Pickup 4.5 in lift 79 Supra with 70,000 miles 86 MR2 with a V6 5speed swa

manual transmission rebuild info

Hello everyone. I just purchased an 88 4wd 5spd le and the trans only has 4th gear. If anyone has info or pics of exploded views of trans that would be very helpful. I have my own shop in Pa and work on anything. If anyone needs any help don't hesitate to ask. This is my first van but I've owned several supras, celicas, trucks, and 4runners. I would love to repair this van and get her going again. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: New 88 4wd 5spd owner needs manual transmission info

There's an 87 factory service manual in PDF form available for download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q4u...7wOD7nKyF/view

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5Spd LE Lifted 2" with Tracker aluminum 15" wheels and 215/75/15 tires 95 4Runner 00 4Runner 3in lift 84 Extra Cab 4WD Pickup 4.5 in lift 79 Supra with 70,000 miles 86 MR2 with a V6 5speed swa

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    There's an 87 factory service manual in PDF form available for download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q4u...7wOD7nKyF/view
    Thank you for such a quick reply. I'm going to do a full rebuild. Input shaft and counter shaft ruined from lack of lubrication. I wanted to add pic but can't figure it out.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

For future reference for all 5spd owners.... the g53 transmission shares a lot of parts with the g52 from 84-86 or so carbureted trucks. Repairing mine now with g52 internals. Make sure trans fluid is at all times. If it gets low the input gear can be destroyed.... like mine!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Trans all done and runs great. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of the factory manual.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van (passenger/cargo)

manual transmission identification / rebuild kit compatibility

hey, I have a 1987 cargo/deluxe van in a 5-speed manual. I have found conflicting information, does this van have the G53 or G57 transmission. the confliction information lies somewhere with the diameter of the output shaft being either 20mm or 23mm? here are a couple of different rebuild kits that I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission...dVjF6~&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Van-5...1DgFZw&vxp=mtr

also I have found a few different used transmissions on ebay, this one being the latest. will this fit my application, or is the 1984/85 different than the 1987? the dang seller wont specify anything on shipping though.... still it's cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-85-TOYOTA...215066&vxp=mtr

Tim? Anybody? I gotta get me a new trans!

the only other possibility would be that my shift linkage is messed up? 1st gear will not engage, just grinds and kicks upon releasing the clutch. (feels like it enters the gate though when you push the shifter into position?) and third gear works, but it kicks out sometimes when you let off the throttle.

I want to start driving this thing!

thanks,
    Dakota

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: manual transmission identification / rebuild kit compatibility

It's a G53. You can also verify this by checking the tag in front of the passenger seat (little carpet flap opens to reveal tag on body metal). FYI, the G57 is the manual transmission used in the early 4wd Previas (was never used in the VanWagons).

As to 84 - 85 manual transmissions, I know there are some differences (not sure how big). I know that 84 - 85 manual transmission drive shafts won't interchange into the 86 - 89 manual transmission vans. I don't remember exactly why, but I think there's a length difference. Personally I would try to stick with a G53 for 86 - 89.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

ahh, well rats... good to know though, thanks Tim. I'll keep looking for the correct trans, or if I get impatient I may even try my hand at rebuilding my current trans. couldn't hurt, and master rebuild kit is around $170.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Please keep in mind that I don't know this for sure. I'm not sure why the drive shafts won't interchange, even the after market shafts come with different part numbers. I've never really messed around with 84 - 85 vans, so they are not all that familiar to me.

Tonight I took a little more time to check my sources and found Toyota lists different part numbers for manual transmissions 84 - 85 than they do for 86 - 89. However, when I checked my 84 service manual, it states the manual transmission is a G-53. I would tend to think a G53 is a G53, regardless of year, but there must be some differences. I'm sure you could make the transmission fit, just not sure what (if any) problems would arise. Perhaps somebody with a little more knowledge on these will speak up. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

hey thanks tim, yeah I guess it's even possible that the tail section of the trans is different in some way. maybe not though, I don't know... I still have my trans, if there are external parts that need swapped over or something.

19. 01-30-2016, 08:36 AM

Reason
    no longer relevant after thread merge

20. 01-30-2016, 01:04 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant after thread merge

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

the only difference between the drive shafts is that the 84-85 ones are repairable ....replacing u joints that is... where as the 86-89 are staked and one cant replace the u joints......I suggest that people with 86-89 2wd vans find a 84-85 drive shaft for a spare....

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by nikifix View Post
    the only difference between the drive shafts is that the 84-85 ones are repairable ....replacing u joints that is... where as the 86-89 are staked and one cant replace the u joints......I suggest that people with 86-89 2wd vans find a 84-85 drive shaft for a spare....
    This is true for automatic transmissions, but there's more differences than that on the manual transmission vans. FYI Powertrain Industries (aftermarket drive line manufacturer) lists different part number drive lines for 84 - 85 manual transmission vans then it does for 86 - 89 manual transmission vans. Powertrain industries makes all their drive shafts with removable joints (not staked)........so what is the other difference?

They make a common drive line for all automatic vans 84 - 89, so why not just one for all 84 - 89 manual transmission vans???