Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1989

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

Thank you very much for your answers!! For the first pic which is the temp switch, is it easy to find and install?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

Quote Originally Posted by iq_artwork View Post
    Thank you very much for your answers!! For the first pic which is the temp switch, is it easy to find and install?

Yup

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Engine-Management-9334-Temperature/dp/B000CSQBG2/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=temperature+switch&pd_rd_r=9b8 fb368-5b98-422c-b1ea-2a4b1eb93d6e&pd_rd_w=VKoWP&pd_rd_wg=4PLgd&pf_rd_p= 69d18130-6e8f-49ee-b708-7afee8d6d397&pf_rd_r=YB3XZJRA33KJ19ZNKSXG&qid=1553 489592&s=automotive&sr=1-7&vehicle=1987-76-942-995--49-8-8-4776-1893-9-1-1996-191-&vehicleName=1987+Toyota+Van

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  94.1 KBthe part i'm looking is the idle up temp switch #8942820050 and I believe i found it on RockAuto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=257&jsn=257

I don't think I need to buy it, i just don't know how to reconnect the disconnected cable? Can you please help.

Thank you very much!!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Size:  94.1 KBthe part i'm looking is the idle up temp switch #8942820050 and I believe i found it on RockAuto.

I don't think I need to buy it, i just don't know how to reconnect the disconnected cable? Can you please help.

Thank you very much!!

That particular plug will need to be repaired. If it were me, I would take the female part of the plug off and use a crimp for now until you fix or replace the broken one.

The idle up temp switch isn't going to have any ill consequences if you fore go it for a while though... thats the good news

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thank you very much!!

That's your "pressure-up" temperature switch. With the changing gas markets it's pretty useless (way out of range for the boiling temp of modern gasoline). Just leave the sensor disconnected and connect that wire to ground. Connecting the wire to ground will send a signal to your ECU telling it the engine is running hot, and that will increase the fuel pressure for ~2 minutes after each start-up. With summer coming on that will help combat the effects of HEAT SOAK. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Busted wire?

In the middle of doing my distributor cap, plug wires and plugs I noticed a busted wire, maybe to a thermostat or something? To the left of the opened up distributor with green on it going into the engine. What is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Tim thank you very much!!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

I don’t know how my comment got mixed in here,here but is that the same thing I’m referring to? Pressure up switch?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Busted wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett5cent View Post
    In the middle of doing my distributor cap, plug wires and plugs I noticed a busted wire, maybe to a thermostat or something? To the left of the opened up distributor with green on it going into the engine. What is that?
    That picture is a bit rough, but I think you're referring to the overdrive temperature sensor. IMO this is another useless sensor. It's job is to prevent overdrive operation when engine temp is below 130° F. If/when the sensor becomes disconnected the overdrive will function at all engine temperatures (big disaster). I'm not sure why Toyota even bothered to put that there, but I've had that sensor go bad before and it caused my overdrive to stop working. All I did was disconnect it and I got my OD back again.

When I work on a van, if I need a sensor port for an aftermarket gauge, I will typically remove that sensor and use that port. It won't hurt anything to leave the wire hang as long as it's not able to touch anything conductive. If it somehow gets grounded your overdrive will stop working. If you find the wire hanging, just wrap some electrical tape around it. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Re: Busted wire?

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    That picture is a bit rough, but I think you're referring to the overdrive temperature sensor. IMO this is another useless sensor. It's job is to prevent overdrive operation when engine temp is below 130° F. If/when the sensor becomes disconnected the overdrive will function at all engine temperatures (big disaster). I'm not sure why Toyota even bothered to put that there, but I've had that sensor go bad before and it caused my overdrive to stop working. All I did was disconnect it and I got my OD back again.

When I work on a van, if I need a sensor port for an aftermarket gauge, I will typically remove that sensor and use that port. It won't hurt anything to leave the wire hang as long as it's not able to touch anything conductive. If it somehow gets grounded your overdrive will stop working. If you find the wire hanging, just wrap some electrical tape around it. Tim
    perfect. Thanks for the info Tim. You are THE MAN.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

random abandoned battery cables....

I searched thru a bunch of threads but could seem to locate which these might be.

Can anyone assist based on pics or point me to the relevant thread please?

Thx!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Hello guys,

for my disconnect cold start igniter cable, I'm planning to buy a new one and replace it. I found few at the Rockauto but not sure, are all of them the same? Which one do you recommend me to get?
    Or can you send me please the part number.

thank you!!
    iordanisName:  van.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  85.0 KB

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Re: random abandoned battery cables....

Quote Originally Posted by cpginkpt View Post
    I searched thru a bunch of threads but could seem to locate which these might be.

Can anyone assist based on pics or point me to the relevant thread please?

Thx!

Check out the fusible link thread my man... should answer all your Q/A there.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

no hoses anywhere near it - and looks shiny like it just got exposed. Any ideas?

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Looks like a grease fitting.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

That is the bleed port for the clutch. Sometimes it has a dust cap. Not required.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

cool. thank you!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Those silly little condoms that come on all bleeder screws are worth their weight in gold.

I had to learn that lesson the hard way, many times over, before I finally clued in.
    That little rubber cap keeps out the dirt and moisture.
    If there is no dirt and moisture, there is no rust!

I have NEVER snapped a bleeder screw that had its rubber in place.
    Its always the naked ones that become one with their housing.
    A seized/broken bleeder is a pita to remove and more often than not requires the entire component be replaced and that gets expensive fast

I keep a package of them on hand at all times as they are easy to lose and they deteriorate with age.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

makes sense to me - will assume the caps are just a Napa thing unless you reply otherwise.

Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Cant say if its a Napa thing or not.
    I get mine from the dealer.