Thread: Reverse Shake

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 2wd Van

Reverse Shake

Hey all, working on fixing up my recently purchased 1989 van. Got a major tuneup done and everything buttoned back up. One last thing (for now) needs attention though...

When I put the van in reverse, it shakes and shutters. Just noticed today too, when I have it in drive and turn the headlights on it starts shaking too. Kinda odd. Was thinking it was motor mounts or transmission mounts but with the headlights causing it to shake too I'm second guessing that.

Anybody had this issue or have any idea of what that could be? If it is the transmission or motor mounts, any part numbers or are all discontinued? I heard VW tranny mounts will work with some modifications, true?

Thank you.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Re: Reverse Shake

that is properly weird. Did you check your system voltage, is it 14-ish volts when running? And does that remain so with the headlights on?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 2wd Van

It is very weird, right? I haven't checked voltage. I do have a little battery charge indicator that sticks into cigarette lighter (came with the van) and that showed it was in normal range. I'll have to break out the multimeter and try the headlights and reverse and see what I get.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

The motor mounts could be a possible issue. The shaking could be from the motor bouncing around on wore out motor mounts when the rpm’s drop. I noticed a significant reduction in vibration after a recent replacement. Here is a tread on replacing them https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...mission-mounts

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 2wd Van

Yes, I figured. Wouldn't hurt to replace either way I guess. Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I had a motor mount that collapsed enough that it was metal on metal. Putting it in gear or under load at idle like from lights or heater that would cause the idle to drop would cause significant shaking and vibration. New mounts fixed it.