Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 243

Thread: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1989

  1. #201
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota LE
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Thank you very much for your answers!! For the first pic which is the temp switch, is it easy to find and install?

  2. #202
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lakeside, Az.
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Quote Originally Posted by iq_artwork View Post
    Thank you very much for your answers!! For the first pic which is the temp switch, is it easy to find and install?

    Yup

    https://www.amazon.com/Original-Engine-Management-9334-Temperature/dp/B000CSQBG2/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=temperature+switch&pd_rd_r=9b8 fb368-5b98-422c-b1ea-2a4b1eb93d6e&pd_rd_w=VKoWP&pd_rd_wg=4PLgd&pf_rd_p= 69d18130-6e8f-49ee-b708-7afee8d6d397&pf_rd_r=YB3XZJRA33KJ19ZNKSXG&qid=1553 489592&s=automotive&sr=1-7&vehicle=1987-76-942-995--49-8-8-4776-1893-9-1-1996-191-&vehicleName=1987+Toyota+Van



  3. #203
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota LE
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  94.1 KBthe part i'm looking is the idle up temp switch #8942820050 and I believe i found it on RockAuto.

    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=257&jsn=257


    I don't think I need to buy it, i just don't know how to reconnect the disconnected cable? Can you please help.

    Thank you very much!!

  4. #204
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lakeside, Az.
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Quote Originally Posted by iq_artwork View Post
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  94.1 KBthe part i'm looking is the idle up temp switch #8942820050 and I believe i found it on RockAuto.

    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=257&jsn=257


    I don't think I need to buy it, i just don't know how to reconnect the disconnected cable? Can you please help.

    Thank you very much!!

    That particular plug will need to be repaired. If it were me, I would take the female part of the plug off and use a crimp for now until you fix or replace the broken one.

    The idle up temp switch isn't going to have any ill consequences if you fore go it for a while though... thats the good news

  5. #205
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    5,981
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Quote Originally Posted by iq_artwork View Post
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  94.1 KBthe part i'm looking is the idle up temp switch #8942820050 and I believe i found it on RockAuto.

    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=257&jsn=257


    I don't think I need to buy it, i just don't know how to reconnect the disconnected cable? Can you please help.

    Thank you very much!!

    That's your "pressure-up" temperature switch. With the changing gas markets it's pretty useless (way out of range for the boiling temp of modern gasoline). Just leave the sensor disconnected and connect that wire to ground. Connecting the wire to ground will send a signal to your ECU telling it the engine is running hot, and that will increase the fuel pressure for ~2 minutes after each start-up. With summer coming on that will help combat the effects of HEAT SOAK. Tim

  6. #206
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    santa cruz
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Busted wire?

    In the middle of doing my distributor cap, plug wires and plugs I noticed a busted wire, maybe to a thermostat or something? To the left of the opened up distributor with green on it going into the engine. What is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #207
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota LE
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Tim thank you very much!!!!

  8. #208
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    santa cruz
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    I dont know how my comment got mixed in here,here but is that the same thing Im referring to? Pressure up switch?

  9. #209
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    5,981
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Busted wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett5cent View Post
    In the middle of doing my distributor cap, plug wires and plugs I noticed a busted wire, maybe to a thermostat or something? To the left of the opened up distributor with green on it going into the engine. What is that?
    That picture is a bit rough, but I think you're referring to the overdrive temperature sensor. IMO this is another useless sensor. It's job is to prevent overdrive operation when engine temp is below 130 F. If/when the sensor becomes disconnected the overdrive will function at all engine temperatures (big disaster). I'm not sure why Toyota even bothered to put that there, but I've had that sensor go bad before and it caused my overdrive to stop working. All I did was disconnect it and I got my OD back again.

    When I work on a van, if I need a sensor port for an aftermarket gauge, I will typically remove that sensor and use that port. It won't hurt anything to leave the wire hang as long as it's not able to touch anything conductive. If it somehow gets grounded your overdrive will stop working. If you find the wire hanging, just wrap some electrical tape around it. Tim

  10. #210
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    santa cruz
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Busted wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    That picture is a bit rough, but I think you're referring to the overdrive temperature sensor. IMO this is another useless sensor. It's job is to prevent overdrive operation when engine temp is below 130 F. If/when the sensor becomes disconnected the overdrive will function at all engine temperatures (big disaster). I'm not sure why Toyota even bothered to put that there, but I've had that sensor go bad before and it caused my overdrive to stop working. All I did was disconnect it and I got my OD back again.

    When I work on a van, if I need a sensor port for an aftermarket gauge, I will typically remove that sensor and use that port. It won't hurt anything to leave the wire hang as long as it's not able to touch anything conductive. If it somehow gets grounded your overdrive will stop working. If you find the wire hanging, just wrap some electrical tape around it. Tim
    perfect. Thanks for the info Tim. You are THE MAN.

  11. #211
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    1

    random abandoned battery cables....

    I searched thru a bunch of threads but could seem to locate which these might be.

    Can anyone assist based on pics or point me to the relevant thread please?

    Thx!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  12. #212
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota LE
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Hello guys,

    for my disconnect cold start igniter cable, I'm planning to buy a new one and replace it. I found few at the Rockauto but not sure, are all of them the same? Which one do you recommend me to get?
    Or can you send me please the part number.

    thank you!!
    iordanisName:  van.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  85.0 KB

  13. #213
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lakeside, Az.
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: random abandoned battery cables....

    Quote Originally Posted by cpginkpt View Post
    I searched thru a bunch of threads but could seem to locate which these might be.

    Can anyone assist based on pics or point me to the relevant thread please?

    Thx!

    Check out the fusible link thread my man... should answer all your Q/A there.

  14. #214
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    no hoses anywhere near it - and looks shiny like it just got exposed. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  15. #215
    Van Obsessed Carbonized's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    wherethevanisrare. FL
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Looks like a grease fitting.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

  16. #216
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    That is the bleed port for the clutch. Sometimes it has a dust cap. Not required.

  17. #217
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    cool. thank you!

  18. #218
    Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Those silly little condoms that come on all bleeder screws are worth their weight in gold.

    I had to learn that lesson the hard way, many times over, before I finally clued in.
    That little rubber cap keeps out the dirt and moisture.
    If there is no dirt and moisture, there is no rust!

    I have NEVER snapped a bleeder screw that had its rubber in place.
    Its always the naked ones that become one with their housing.
    A seized/broken bleeder is a pita to remove and more often than not requires the entire component be replaced and that gets expensive fast

    I keep a package of them on hand at all times as they are easy to lose and they deteriorate with age.

  19. #219
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    makes sense to me - will assume the caps are just a Napa thing unless you reply otherwise.

    Thanks!

  20. #220
    Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1

    Cant say if its a Napa thing or not.
    I get mine from the dealer.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •