Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1989

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van LE

Re: Identify these things for me?? Pretty please?

Thank you for the information. I don't think the switch itself is bad, just the wire boot thingamajig is broken. I'm assuming it is only essential for cold starts, but now I need to know how to find the wire/boot >.> Hmm. I'm also assuming that the hose is actually supposed to be run where it is run.. which seems like a bad design to me, but the picture you posted shows it is run that way as well - so maybe I can just fab something to keep it from pinching against those switches.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Identify these things for me?? Pretty please?

It's a standard Bosch type injector connector. It doesn't need the boot, but the wires will last longer if you put some shrink tube on them or wrap with electrical tape. Here's a post where I'm using these for my injector harness. With shrink tubing on them they are protected and the wires won't break off from excessive flexing. Tim

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...2506#post12506

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    A 1984 2WD and an 87 4WD

Possible A/C electrical connector unknown where it ought to connect

I have reassembled a basket case 1987 4x4 manual with cooler by shift console. There is a connector on a rather longish set of smaller gauge wires, a 10-pin connector, coming from under the carpet. I see no where to plug this. I am just about to get AC put back together. I have the repair manual, and have looked at the AC schematic. Wow very complicated! There are no wire color codes. Can anyone tell me where this plug might reach to. It is long enough I think to reach up under dash, it might reach into cooler somehow.

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Re: Possible A/C electrical connector unknown where it ought to connect

Can you post a picture for us?
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You have to learn to take your time ... in a hurry
    - Wyatt Earp

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    A 1984 2WD and an 87 4WD

Name:  IMG_1365.jpg
Views: 9233
Size:  84.7 KBName:  IMG_1364.jpg
Views: 9057
Size:  86.0 KB

Here the photos. So where does this connect to please?

Next somewhat related question: the repair manual indicates in it's photo of the AC compressor at idler pulley assembly that there are a variety of washers and larger "cover" type things that go with the pulley. Since I have been unable to find a parts van to see myself what the setup is, I went ahead and ordered the pulley with the bearing from an on-line parts place. Can anyone tell me if I can just use the pulley along with a suitable washer and nut, or do I need these other spacer bits and/or can you describe to me better what I need. The adjustment idler pulley is there: it has the threaded spindle which goes up and down in the slotted bracket.

And how about the belt length needed for this. You see, I am in Mexico now and while the weather is good, by May it will be rather warm. Be great to try to get the AC going.

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's for the "Audio Control". Behind the shifter on the center console there was a remote control for vans equipped with OEM premium sound systems (double din AM/FM Cassette stereos). It's there so you can adjust volume and change channels easily (no leaning down while driving). If the original stereo has been replaced, then the original "Audio Control" would have become useless. They likely removed it and put something else there. If your original components are still there, you might try plugging it in to see if it still works. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Passenger Van

Weights behind rear axel inside van?

I recently redid the carpeting in my new 84 van DX and found 3 large plate weights bolted to the floor right behind the rear axel.
    I would estimate that the 3 of them are about 50lbs each, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has found this in their vans.
    Also, is it really necessary? I live in south florida, so no snow or ice to worry about. I just think my little 3Y motor might appreciate the break from lugging these around.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Weights behind rear axel inside van?

This is not uncommon on forward control vehicles. Early ford econolines initially didn't have one. Once they realized it was needed, they sent a bunch to the dealers for retrofit purposes. If I remember correctly, those ones were around 150lbs. It was to help with traction as well as keeping all four tires on the ground during hard braking. http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-goog...?v=dHRgVvAO8Pw I seem to remember reading on one of the Toyota Van sites that some had them.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Mystery Sensor Connector on Coolant Cap

Hey Guys, I've got a broken electrical connector on the front side of my coolant cap. I can;t figure out what it's for. It has a single wire.

The van is a 1984 LEName:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 9195
Size:  90.8 KBName:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 9111
Size:  92.7 KB
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Mystery Sensor Connector on Coolant Cap

That looks like the one on the left marked "idle-up temperature switch". In this picture it appears the lock tab is broken and it's held on with zip ties.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4x4 5 speed

What is this?

While messing around looking into putting in a kill switch I saw this part pictured. It has an adjusting knob that says RPM. What is this and what does the knobest adjust? Is it for the blower? Thanks!Name:  20151008_183118.jpg
Views: 9107
Size:  95.2 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: What is this?

I could well be mistaken but I think that is the ECU for the AC, I would tend to leave that knob alone.
    At least until Tim has a chance to weigh in and advise accordingly.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

That is the ac amplifier which is essentialy the ac ecu as burntboot said. The rpm knob is to adjust the low idle speed at which the ac clicks off. It's usually set at a high enough rpm that it will not run the ac at idle speed so it won't overheat the engine in hot conditions when the van isn't moving. I've fiddled with mine a bit and I know Tim has posted about adjusting his too but he also stated he has a engine temp switch that shuts off the ac if the engine gets too hot. If you must fiddle with it(That's how I figured out what it does.)do so with caution.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4x4 5 speed

Thanks! One more unknown part identified!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van

Question about power Steering Banjo Fitting on 89 2wd van

I've got a pretty bad power steering fluid leak so I took my van (89 2wd) down to the mechanic. He said I needed a new high pressure power steering hose so I ordered this one: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...3-1753585.html

I took him the part and he said it didn't fit the van. He showed me a banjo connection, which looks like this (this is someone else's photo from this forum)
    Name:  banjo fitting.jpg
Views: 9384
Size:  85.5 KB

What is this part in the photo above called? In the link I posted it says "Gearbox side connects to Pressure line #44411-28051"

Would 44411-28051 be the part with the banjo fitting that connects to the power steering pump itself?

Many of the posts I've read about this talk about removing the hose and taking it to a hydraulic shop to get it repaired, is that what I need to be doing?

Is there any other information I could give that would be helpful? Thanks in advance y'all!

Jason

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Re: Question about power Steering Banjo Fitting on 89 2wd van

I picked mine up from RockAuto. I have an 87, but by the looks of things, they are similar. While the banjo fitting and threaded end worked, it wasn't a perfect fit, but close enough that I haven't had any issue with it.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=549&jpid=4

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1989

Part #'s Needed for 1989 TV 4WD Auto . I need part #'s for Cold Start Injector Time Switch (mounted right below the radiator cap ) , Coolant Temp Sender and Coolant Temp Sensor . Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Re: Part #'s Needed

There's a picture in this link that shows some of the part numbers you're looking for http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...nt+temp+sensor

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

FYI, there's a search box in the upper right corner of every forum page. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but every time duplicate threads are posted it makes the search harder to use (it adds another hit to future search results). The more hits you get during a search, the harder it becomes for everybody to find what we're searching for. Please search the site before posting new threads. If you cannot find what you're looking for, then please post your question in an existing thread of the same or similar subject. Thank you. Tim

I did a quick search for you and here's the results. If you want to go to the original threads (where these quotes are from), just click on the little blue arrow beside my name. Thank you . Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The cold start injector time switch is expensive. Depending on where you purchase, aftermarket and OEM will cost about the same. Toyota part #89462-20020 has the MSRP of ~$190, but some of the internet discount Toyota parts outlets will sell it for ~$140. Beck/Arnley part #1580034 goes for ~$155 on www.rockauto.com. If Toyota still has these I'd recommend ordering from them. It's not likely your local dealer will have this in stock, so you might as well save the $50 and order on-line. For us in the PNW, www.1stToyotaParts.com is probably who I'd recommend. Tim
    You need the sender. On that site it's this one: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198...re_switch.html

The Toyota part number for this is 83420-20020
    Temp sensors are cheap, so if I had a code 4, I'd just replace that. Napa part #TS5520 for around $15. If you're rolling in the bucks, then it's Toyota part #89422-12010 for around $80. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Thanks Tim