Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1989

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Water housing sensors and part #'s

Ok , I have searched and searched and still for the life of me can't verify the identity of the sensors or switches located on the water outlet housing . One has a green plug and the other a brown plug . Can anyone identify these and give part numbers ? I have read through several post and seen several pics and they give different names !!!! I also need connectors for those of anyone can point me in the right direction . Thanks !!!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Part #'s Needed

I just merged your new thread with your other new thread to reduce clutter. I just did a quick search using key words "sensor sender time switch" and this thread popped right up: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...er+time+switch. Whenever possible, please post questions in existing threads of same subject matter. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

This connector will work on both the Time Switch and the ECU Temp Sensor: http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor...&keywords=s697. The Sender uses a standard 1/4" female spade connector (available almost everywhere). Don't bother with the Pressure-up (AKA Idle-Up) Temp Switch as it's a waste of time. Just take the wire that would normally go to that switch, and attach it to ground somewhere. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Sorry for cluttering up the page with questions , just searching for too much info I guess . Thanks again Tim !!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

I don't have the idle up sensor , the slot where its suppose to go is plugged but I do have the wire for it with connector , is it ok to just leave it or cut the connector off and ground it ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

To understand what that sensor does, read this article: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...amous-hot-soak. Grounding that wire will tell the ECU to increase fuel pressure for the 1st 2 minutes after start-up. The extra pressure can help combat the "heat soak" problem when those conditions exist. Tim

BTW, questions are good (keep them coming). Just please search 1st. If you can't find what you need, ask in a thread of the same or similar subject matter .

PS: If you van did not originally come from Toyota with factory AC, then you won't have that sensor. For vans without AC Toyota just put a plug there.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Great !!! Thanks a million !!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 Vanwagon

What the?? Any ideas?

Hey guys!

So I took off the dash to remove an aftermarket alarm and found that someone had spliced 2 wires into the switch side of the front A/C button connectors. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  18.9 KB
    One went down under the radio area but ended up not being connected to anything. the other (purple) went below the steering column and was put into what I believe to be the ignition switch connector? I'm not home now to look but yeah. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  19.0 KB

do you guys know what this could have been for? I plan on returning the switch back to normal, let me know what you think.

Thanks!
    -Spencer

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 4x4

Re: What the?? Any ideas?

It may have been for an autostart system. The purple wire may be the start circuit, and the wires going to the A/C button are probably for turning the A/C on once the engine has been running for a few seconds.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

Anybody know where this should go?

Name:  IMG_0304.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  92.3 KB

Just changed the oil and noticed it hanging free... any ideas what it is???

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Anybody know where this should go?

It's what I call an A/C Idle-Up VSV. It's supposed to mount on the PS of the head and it's job is to increase idle speed when the AC compressor is activated. For more information, refer to this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...tached-diagram

To see how it's mounted to the head, check out the picture on post #19. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

Re: Anybody know where this should go?

Awesome Tim! My van idles high, the previous owner turned up the idle due to the AC drawing it down too much. I haven't had the need to run the AC yet, though,I've had it on for a bit every month just because I read I should somewhere. I'll read the thread, thanks again. -Harv

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd le automatic

Unknown electrical connection. not sure what it is or where it should connect.

Going through the electrical trying to trouble shoot check engine light and I found this cut wire. I have gone through the manual and can't figure out what it could be. The van runs pretty well aside from the check engine light. Help is appreciated...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 Van Wagon

Re: Unknown electrical conection. not sure what it is or where it should connect.

It looks like the connection for the center console or (more likely) the brake light, i believe it connects to the e-brake

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd le automatic

Re: Unknown electrical conection. not sure what it is or where it should connect.

Quote Originally Posted by konerdude View Post
    It looks like the connection for the center console or (more likely) the brake light, i believe it connects to the e-brake
    thanks Konerdude. I still haven't figured it out but the brake lights and e brake dash light works so i', still not sure....

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I keep forgetting to double check my wiring for this but I'm pretty sure that's for the coolant level sensor in the bottom of the coolant reservoir.

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd le automatic

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    I keep forgetting to double check my wiring for this but I'm pretty sure that's for the coolant level sensor in the bottom of the coolant reservoir.
    Ah thank you! That makes sense. I am getting a coolant sensor check engine code too... i order new sensor then the harness was fried to the sensor so i had to find a harness.... you know, the usual. I will take a look at it...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I believe Original is correct. You can easily test this by turning the key to "run", then try touching the wires together. If it's for the overflow bottle float switch, the radiator light on your dash should blink on/off when you make/break connection.................assuming the bulb is still there and not burned out. Tim

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd le automatic

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I believe Original is correct. You can easily test this by turning the key to "run", then try touching the wires together. If it's for the overflow bottle float switch, the radiator light on your dash should blink on/off when you make/break connection.................assuming the bulb is still there and not burned out. Tim

blah. no luck with that. I found the reservoir sensor underneath and it is close to where this wire is located but it is intact. I checked the dash lights and they are all working when i turn the key to on so one less thing. trying to find a picture to trace it. i use a chiltons but the pictures are limited.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

What color are the wires? The chassis side of the coolant float sensor should be yellow with a red stripe and white with a blue stripe. You mention a coolant sensor code and damaged wires. I assume you are referring to code 22 for the coolant temp sensor. These wires should be brown and green. There's also the oil level sensor on the side of the oil pan. Those wires would be white with a blue stripe and yellow.