Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART and WHAT'S-THE-PART-NUMBER Thread for US Toyota Vans 1984-1989

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: Can someone help me ID this part?

This part is still available for about 64 bucks I just got one last week

2. 02-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Reason
    no longer relevant

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 Vanwagon

*(Please Help Me ID This) first drive to work, little bit of a hiccup

Hi Guys and gals,

With the time I had I looked through the forums as much as I could, but unfortunately I'm at work and this is time sensitive so hopefully you guys could offer me some advice on what to do to the van during my lunch break lol.

Drove my new to me 89 2wd 5speed to work (first time driving a standard manual vehicle, 1 hour to work, fun experience) and everything was going fin until 45 minutes into the drive I noticed the temp starting to rise. It started getting too close to the red so I pulled over and let it cool. It lost a little coolant, I'd guestimate about it took about 1 liter to fill it back up. Something interesting is that when I pulled over to cool it off I first tried turning the heater on to vent some heat but it wasn't giving me hot air. I know it worked before because I tried that out when I got the van running last week and It blew hot air when switched to hot. So something must have happened on the drive this morning. I'd research more thoroughly but I have to get to work. I have an hour lunch break later, what do you guys think I should check and attempt to fix at that point? I have access to random hardware from the maintenance department and I am no stranger to jerry-rigging or whatever the appropriate term is. Oh yeah and the thermostat was swapped out for a proper OEM part and gasket last week when I got the van running.

Edit*

Well it's lunch time, I was checking around "under the hood" and found this:

Name:  IMG_0810.jpg
Views: 5106
Size:  83.4 KB

Am I right in assuming these are parts of the water temp sensor? That would make sense because the van did throw a code 22. Anyway, if this is indeed a messed up water temp sensor, would that be able to cause the engine to overheat? I'm curious as to what this water temp sensor does, because apparently theres another sensor of some sort that tells the dial on my dashboard how hot the coolant is. Anyway, please let me know what you think!

Please and thank you!
    -Spencer
    Last edited by rootbeerrain; 06-19-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: update

4. 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM

5. 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 Vanwagon

Re: *(Please Help Me ID This) first drive to work, little bit of a hiccup

Also I'm done with work in about 2 hours and if nobody has any good advice it seems I'll be limping the van home

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: first drive to work, little bit of a hiccup

It is not likely this temp sensor caused your over heating. This sensor feeds the ECU with data regarding coolant temp so that the correct fuel mixture is delivered for the given coolant temperature.

I suppose if this sensor also fed data to the ECU to control timing, maybe in a roundabout way if the timing was being too retarded that could cause the overheating but I think likely coincidence.

Seems the easiest thing is get this connection fixed and then see if it does not over heat any more

The effect of having this sensor disconnected besides the obvious check engine light is that when a sensor is disconnected (has an open circuit ) the ECU will default to a rich fuel mixture to keep the engine operating. You would experience poor MPG and possibly smell a strong odor of fuel from the rich mixture, which in turn could damage the catalyst possibly from unburned fuel entering the exhaust.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Wire ID?

Recently picked up an 89 Auto 4x4, non running.

I replaced the igniter and ignition/distributor coil and started putting the cover back on and noticed a wire that did not have a match. I can't find where the other end gets to. I only have the electrical wiring diagram for 87, and it does not show that particular wiring. I can trace wires from the same position to the TPS and an O2 and I think the oil level sender.

I recall reading that the 89s had a second O2 sensor, could this be for the second O2? Or something else I'm missing?

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 5045
Size:  95.0 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Wire ID?

I would have to look at my other van when I got home to confirm but, I believe that is for the egr temp sensor which is a California emissions only item. My van is not California compliant though my wiring harness does have the mating connector. My engine apparently is so I have the sensor which is installed in the top of the intake right next to the egr valve. I believe if you look in the engine removal section of the factory service manual it mentions disconnecting this(California only) in the section about electrical connections to be disconnected.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Re: Wire ID?

Thanks for the info!

I searched pretty good and did not find the mating connector, so I guess it just isn't there. The manual did outline the part to disconnect in the engine removal section as well.

I left it loose, started it up, drove around, and didn't notice any big issues.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

Can anyone identify this part?

Can anyone identify what this part is on the driver side of the oil pan? Its a 1986 2WD 4YE.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 3.09.35 PM.jpg
Views: 4978
Size:  19.9 KB

My guess is oil pressure sensor or oil level sensor? Seems to be the source of a pretty serious oil leak.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Can anyone identify this part?

Oil level sensor. There is an o-ring type seal on it. If you search "oil level sensor seal" you should come up with a part number.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van Wagon DX 4WD 2.2l

Fuel gauge and sender wire help

Hay Tv family. I noticed the fuel gauge in my 1989 Toyota Van DX 4WD wasn't working so I hoped under to see the connections. Noticed the wires for the fuel sender had been caught up with the drive shaft. I ran to Pick N Pull and found some connectors and swapped it out for my missing ones. I have 2 wires, one brown and one grey that I can't seem to identify. I looked in my repair manual at the wiring diagram but can't seem to figure this out. Could this be for a fuel gauge cutoff switch? Help would be appreciated. Thanks gang.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Fuel gauge and sender wire help

Not sure if this helps but, I noticed in reading the engine wiring diagram, most of the brown wires are for check connector or sensor wires. If anyone can help clear this up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Found a clue to my unsolved mystery. Went to Pick N Pull this past weekend to pick a 1987 4WD TV, noticed the car was originally from California. Looking at the wiring that leads to the fuel sender and fuel pump, there was a connector that was unplugged. Very close to this unplugged connector was the downstream oxygen sensor. If any of you California TV drivers could clear this up for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

88 & 89's (FEDERAL) have a 2nd O2 sensor, it mounts in the rear pipe just behind the flange (ahead of the rear axle)
    No idea about cali spec though.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

I found a fossil on my 4WD van

I found a fossil on my 4WD, anybody know what it is?

Picture is rotated 90 deg.

Name:  The fosil 2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 5090
Size:  97.7 KB

Whatever that is, me think I need a new one no?
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Re: I found a fossil on my 4WD van

That looks like the A/C surge tank mounted to the top of the front crossmember of a 4WD.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Re: I found a fossil on my 4WD van

Dhuh! Thank you sir!
    I'm looking everywhere in the shop manual and Parts list and somehow completely overlooked the A/C System! The van is on the other side of the state since the hurricane and I'm going by pictures in my phone only.
    Speaking of A/C, my 4WD is a single front A/C, my donor 2wd is a dual, how big of a job would it be to transfer the rear A/C stuff into the 4WD? (I'm planning of having the middle bench or captains in the back)
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

Re: What does a particular VSV do? See excellent attached diagram.

So, when I tore down everything instead of labeling everything physically I took a bunch of reference photos, but then, like you would expect, lost all my photos.

There are these two nipples that screw into the air intake chamber with the same OD's but very different ID's (one significantly restricted, the other is as open as it can be). Which one goes where?

I know the forward one goes to the PCV valve, but should that be the open or restricted one?

Here I am pointing to them...
    Name:  nipples.jpg
Views: 5063
Size:  84.1 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: What does a particular VSV do? See excellent attached diagram.

The front one goes to the PCV Valve and the other one goes to the brake booster (metal line that comes off the firewall). The PCV valve port should be open. The restriction/flow is controlled by the PCV valve.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE Cargo van

Yellow twisty knob

So I've noticed a yellow knob close to the cold start injector on the top of the block, that you can adjust to the left or right. I like to twist it sometimes when Im working on the van and pretend like I know what I am doing... but I dont.

I searched forum and the manual but not quite sure what this is? Anyone know what it is and what it does?

thanks!

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Re: Yellow twisty knob

Do you have a photo? That does not sound familiar to me at all