Thread: 88 hi ace sliding door issues (help!)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

88 hi ace sliding door issues (help!)

I have a 1988 hi ace van. The sliding door has seen better days but was working fine until my 35kg staffyxridgeback tried to jump out while still tied to an anchor point in back of the van. She pushed the door back past it’s “ comfort zone” and I could only get it closed properly by removed the bottom roller/bracket. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to put it back on so it will work properly. I’m a fair to middling mechanic but my experience is mostly with motorcycles and kombi vans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.cheers - doc 👍

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: 88 hi ace sliding door issues (help!)

Photos (open and shut) would be useful. I had an over-impulsive stud llama knock off my slider door once, but it doesn't sound like your pup accomplished it the same way.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

Thanks for your reply Gwen. I have the door closed and locked, but had to remove bottom roller to do so. What i really need to know is how that bottom roller fits into the track on the van, then I can bolt it back onto the door. All i could show you in a photo is the door well closed or open but with no bottom attachment.
    It would however be fantastic if you could show me a pic of how that bottom roller is supposed to attach to its slide/channel. If you get the chance that would be wonderful.
    cheers - doc

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

It's super-obvious on our vans — two rollers go in the track under the step, and the other end bolts to the slider door (three bolts). Can't be sure what's going on with yours without seeing more details, sorry. I'm still baffled how the bottom came out at all. Mine came out the top — the support roller happened to be right at the small cut-out in the upper track that's there so the slider door can be mounted and removed.

You might try opening the door, putting the bottom bracket back in the track FIRST and THEN bolting it back to the door — it can't be done vice versa.

Now, if something is bent (the bracket, the door, or the lower track) then you have a real problem on your hands.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

Thanks Gwen.
    guess I’ll figure it out. Only had it a couple months and the slide door has always been a bit iffy - needs a bit of support when opening and closing.
    Appreciate your comments.
    cheers - doc

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

This is the lower roller assembly in my RHD TownAce, I’m thinking it’s the same in LHD Toyota Van.

I’m might have a LHD lower roller assembly that I can take pictures and post for comparison.

You may even want to check your sliding door roller rail, if the first bolt that’s close to center of the van where the rail turns in towards the body is loose or broken it’ll cause the door to sag and be off alignment.

I’ll take a picture of the above statement tomorrow cause I don’t think is sounds/described clearly.

3 bolts connected to the sliding door

Adjustment bolt

Lower roller in the track

Side view

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

Thanks JDM. Great photos. Sadly it’s foul whether here today so it’ll have to wait at least ‘til tomorrow. And yep photo wise the more the better. The bracket looks similar. The “lower roller in track” pic is great - just what I needed to see. I’m thinking now that I should fit it with just the vertical roller then bolt the adjuster roller arm on.
    thank you both for your replies. I’ve got some new things to try now.
    will let you know how i get on when the weather improves.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

There was a rust hole above the first bolt on the center roller where water was getting into the body-

The first bolt on the roller rail rusted out so the rail was unstable and moving in and out, the integrity of the body where it bolts on had been compromised

Here’s a picture of a spare rail where the first bolt is located and tends to rust which means the body will rust out in that area as well, which is what happened mine.

First bolt on the rail

When opening the door I had to put my finger in rail and pull on the backside of the door to open it. Also the door wouldn’t close all the way when I would shut it.

If your having to guide your slider door when opening and closing then double check the condition of your roller rail to make sure it’s secure.

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

Thanks heaps guys!!
    got the door working better than since i’ve owned it. Your tips Gwen, and especially your pics JDM helped me understand how it SHOULD be. One handed open and close now; although what also found was that there are no rollers at all on the “pins” of the bottom roller bracket!!
    So the next job is get some and install ;)
    Reckon I’ll replace the top rail as well as it’s certainly not great. I saw a ‘93 Town ace being wrecked locally. Do you know if the top rail is the same as the 88 hi ace at all?
    Anyway. Thanks again - doc
    P.S. That dog will be wearing a seat belt from now on ;)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

P.P.S: JDM,my centre rail and rollers are sweet as a nut, but thanks for taking the time for the extra pics. Gonna like this forum!