Thread: 1995 JDM engine swap TPS/compatibility issue?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    previa awd

1995 JDM engine swap compatibility issue?

hi all- am in the midst of the infamous JDM swap. previa in question is a 95, normal aspiration. (JDM engine sourced from lakewood- outwardly looks great)

however, i've noticed some not insignificant differences between engines, and am unsure how to proceed.

the original engine removed from the van lacks the aperture on the timing cover for the crank position sensor, and its distributor has a four-pronged harness connection. as well, the water inlet on the JDM lacked a port/hose present on the in-car version, the exhaust manifold was different, and the intake manifold differed as well. (perhaps to be expected, though not an issue as i expected to transfer those components to the JDM engine)

the JDM engine has the crank position sensor in place on the timing cover, and has a two pronged distributor connector.

i wonder if the two extra prongs on the in-car distributor have to do with crank position sensing data, and perhaps i'd be ok to just utilize the distributor from the van- which i intended to do regardless... but if not, how do i proceed with this process.

the existing 1995 wiring harness in the van appears to have no provision for a crank sensor as would be possibly necessitated by the replacement engine- that is, unless i simply don't connect anything to the sensor plug

i'll try to attach some photos to illustrate what i've got going on here...

ANY help would be much appreciated. i'd like to get this thing back on the road as winter is coming soon!

VIN for the van is JT3AC22S9S1043338. Engine serial is 0725750. JDM engine serial is 1952169.
    Last edited by erik the dane; 10-29-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: 1995 JDM engine swap TPS/compatibility issue?

Back when we did this on a regular basis (JDM swaps) we found while there was some really cool kit that came on those engines, we mostly used just the core engine and swapped over everything, utilizing whatever was specific to the vehicle, not the imported engine.
    Many times we had to swap manifolds, we even had an "280Z motor" that had a mid-sump and we ended up changing not only the pan and pickup but the oil pump as well.
    Utilize as many of the original components as possible, be they water inlets or whatever, keep it simple and get it running soonest.
    Always try to avoid re-inventing the wheel