Thread: How to: Remove the Dashboard

My Van(s):
    '84 & '87

How to: Remove the Dashboard

Toyota calls the van's dashboard "INSTRUMENT PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY" ...

These instructions are for removal of part or all of the dashboard, whether you want to get in there yourself or save your mechanic some headaches (and yourself some labor costs!). Entering the dashboard is necessary for brake and clutch master cylinder work, swapping radios or speakers, fixing your broken HEATER CONTROL ASSY's plastic spider frame, getting to the heater blower motor, troubleshooting malfunctioning electrical switches, etc. etc..

It is not complicated, but care and organization are required. There are several types of screws, bolts and clips, some of which are location specific. Many screws that hold the dashboard pieces together (and attach the main dashboard to the inner frame) thread into metal retainer clips, but others screw directly into the dashboard plastic or into molded plastic tabs. The threads here strip easily, and the plastic tabs are quickly broken if you are not gentle.

Removal of the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH PANEL and the COMBINATION METER will yield access to the brake and clutch master cylinders and the electrical switches on either side of the steering column; removal of the GLOVE COMPARTMENT assembly will open up the area around the main fuse junction box and the heater blower motor; removal of the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CENTRAL FINISH PANEL (radio trim) will reveal the radio, more switches, and the heater control panel. For many jobs, removing these sections alone will be enough, but to go deeper, the UPPER SAFETY PAD and the main INSTRUMENT PANEL may need removal.

At the time of this posting, many of the screws, bolts, and even clips are still available, which cannot be said for any of the actual Instrument Panel components.

Tools needed:
    Phillips head screwdriver
    Ratchet with 10mm socket
    10 mm wrench

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PANEL SUB-ASSY and COMBINATION METER

Begin by removing the brake fluid reservoir cap, to ease removal of the Instrument Cluster Panel later. There are five screws that hold the panel in, as well as two internal clips that fit onto brackets behind the cluster:

To remove the panel, pull it out toward the steering wheel as you maneuver it around the brake fluid reservoir opening (there is enough flex in the panel's side for that). Pull gently because the panel is still attached by two clips to the brackets seen in the black boxes below:

The Combination Meter is attached in the front by four screws seen in the image above, and in the rear by the speedometer cable and three electrical plug connections, seen below:

Once the meter's front screws are removed, pull the meter out as far as you can before you feel resistance. First, disconnect the speedometer cable by squeezing the side of the connector and pulling the cable away; it is helpful to look through the windshield from the front of the van to get your bearings. The speedo cable connector comes off easily, but be gentle - if it breaks you're a little busted. You now have room to pull the meter out farther and disconnect the remaining electrical connectors. Each has a plastic tab that you push in and then pull the connector out.

GLOVE COMPARTMENT SUB-ASSY

First remove the plastic piece covering the glove box hinges (two screws):

Next remove two screws connecting the glove box hinges and remove the glove box:

If you plan on removing the upper safety pad and/or the main dash, follow the remaining steps in this section.

Remove the glove box striker. It is held on by two screws, and can be moved forward or back to adjust the exact point at which the glove box latches. You may wish to mark the position of the striker before you remove it, otherwise you will have to adjust it upon reinstallation:

Remove two screws (main dash to upper safety pad):

Next remove the reinforcement bar that the glove box hinges screw into. The bar is attached with two screws and two 10mm bolts:

Here is one of the metal retaining clips that the 10mm bolts thread into (this piece snaps onto the dash, and like other clips, may or may not stay there - keep track of them):

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CENTER FINISH PANEL (radio trim) and HEATER CONTROL PANEL

First, remove the ashtray. Then remove these two screws (radio trim to Upper Safety Pad):

Next, remove these two screws (radio trim to ashtray retainer):

The radio trim panel is still attached by two clips at the bottom corners. Pull out the panel gently as the plastic pieces that the clips snap onto are ultra-fragile...here's a shot of one of the clips from the backside:

At this point the radio trim panel is only attached by the electrical connector to the cigarette lighter, if you have one. There may or may not be an additional wire running from the roof of the ashtray retainer into the cigarette lighter, if there is, unplug it at the cigarette lighter assembly end.

Next remove four screws around the radio:

To remove the heater control panel from the dash, remove these three screws:

INSTRUMENT PANEL LOWER FINISH PANEL and STEERING COLUMN HOUSING

In order to remove the entire dash, the INSTRUMENT PANEL LOWER FINISH PANEL must be removed. This is the panel covering the lower portion of the steering column. It is attached with four screws...here is a shot of the driver's side of the panel showing only the driver's side screw, the second is on the other side:

Lower two screws:

Although not necessary for dash removal, here are the screw locations for the steering column housing (a place to be careful: these screws thread directly into plastic, so take care when reinstalling):

INSTRUMENT PANEL UPPER SAFETY PAD SUB-ASSY

Which looks like this:

Remove this screw:

Remove this screw, which is at the driver's side end of the upper safety pad:

Next remove two screws (dash to upper safety pad):

At this point the safety pad is still attached to the frame by clips and by two 10mm bolts, which attach to the brackets seen here:

Once the bolts are removed, pull the safety pad (gently!) from the frame - it is still anchored by two dodgy metal clips that attach to the metal framework at the base of the windshield. Here is a shot from underneath the pad:

In order to remove the last and largest piece of the dash, first remove the electrical switch components from the dash panel.

Remove one 10mm bolt below the brake fluid reservoir:

Remove one 10mm bolt anchoring the dash to the bracket which attaches to the brake fluid reservoir:

Remove one 10mm bolt? that attaches to the very bottom of the driver's side of the dash (the point in question is broken on my dash, as seen in this picture):

Remove one 10mm bolt near the passenger side door:

The INSTRUMENT PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY is no longer connected to the vehicle, and can be removed.

Have fun with the installation, which is everything above, in reverse.
    Last edited by skyflyer9; 09-03-2010 at 10:43 AM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: How to: Remove the Dashboard

This is awesome! Thank you skyflyer! I just rated this thread as excellent! BTW, you all have the option to rate threads in this forum. You can also rate a persons posts (the little star at the bottom left) and that will affect their reputation power that's shown under their avatar. Tim

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Very good post, Skyflyer! I've had to do this "on the fly" a few times when salvaging spares in junkyards.
    One very minor thing, though: you should wait until the last moment to remove the rubber cover from the brake fluid reservoir, and leave it uncovered for as little time as possible. That way, you minimize the chance of contaminating the brake fluid. Those of us who work on machinery know that dirt is the biggest enemy of a properly functioning hydraulic system.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota 4x4 5spd 1985 westy

Thanks skyflyer! Used part of this thread to replace my clutch master cylinder today. I wish I would have documented the procedure as well as you did- I learned a few things along the way. One question- on what exact model of van were those dash colors offered?

My Van(s):
    '84 & '87

Ha, ha, the 'wine' portions of the dash are original to my '84, and most of the blue sections came out of an '87 4x4 I gutted at a local junkyard.

I also have a newer blue console (around the shifter) with my original beige inlay - I got the console from eBay but it came out of an automatic, so I used the inlay out of my original console.

You should see my carpet...
    1984 DLX Manual 350K
    1987 4WD LE Manual 112K

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Skyflyer or anybody else: Do you know how to separate the steering column housing, top from bottom? I have removed the screws, as shown in the picture above, and what's left are some small plastic tabs holding the top piece to the bottom piece. I thought I would ask before I accidentally break mine.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by fuquan View Post
    Skyflyer or anybody else: Do you know how to separate the steering column housing, top from bottom? I have removed the screws, as shown in the picture above, and what's left are some small plastic tabs holding the top piece to the bottom piece. I thought I would ask before I accidentally break mine.

There are a total of 6 screws holding my steering column housing in place. Once all 6 screws are removed, tilt the steering column downwards and the upper section of the housing should come right off.Name:  1987 Toyota van steering column housing.jpg
Views: 6645
Size:  76.9 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Cruiser View Post
    There are a total of 6 screws holding my steering column housing in place. Once all 6 screws are removed, tilt the steering column downwards and the upper section of the housing should come right off.
    Thanks, Cali Cruiser. Some of those recessed screw holes are difficult to see when upside down and in poor light. I was totally missing them. The housing came apart easily after removing all screws.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota previas, Econoline and 1 1988 Space Lego Van

Huge Help !

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 TV Panel 4x4 5-Speed 1989 TV LE, Dual Sunroof, 2WD Automatic

Thanks SO much Skyflier9 for the post!! You made this removal and reinstall doable when I changed out my Clutch and Master cylinders!! I filmed the process and wanted to share- The link to the Blog post and Video is here.
    Thanks again!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota cargo 1984-1989

Beautiful work on the instructions for dash removal. But how to see the pix? Looks like some kind of post Photobucket account issue?...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota cargo 1984-1989

Beautiful work on the instructions for dash removal. But how to see the pix? Looks li

Beautiful work on the instructions for dash removal. But how to see the pix? Looks like some kind of post Photobucket account issue?... If these pix are still available, I'd sure like to see 'em...

Quote Originally Posted by skyflyer9 View Post
    Toyota calls the van's dashboard "INSTRUMENT PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY" ...

These instructions are for removal of part or all of the dashboard, whether you want to get in there yourself or save your mechanic some headaches (and yourself some labor costs!). Entering the dashboard is necessary for brake and clutch master cylinder work, swapping radios or speakers, fixing your broken HEATER CONTROL ASSY's plastic spider frame, getting to the heater blower motor, troubleshooting malfunctioning electrical switches, etc. etc..

It is not complicated, but care and organization are required. There are several types of screws, bolts and clips, some of which are location specific. Many screws that hold the dashboard pieces together (and attach the main dashboard to the inner frame) thread into metal retainer clips, but others screw directly into the dashboard plastic or into molded plastic tabs. The threads here strip easily, and the plastic tabs are quickly broken if you are not gentle.

Removal of the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH PANEL and the COMBINATION METER will yield access to the brake and clutch master cylinders and the electrical switches on either side of the steering column; removal of the GLOVE COMPARTMENT assembly will open up the area around the main fuse junction box and the heater blower motor; removal of the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CENTRAL FINISH PANEL (radio trim) will reveal the radio, more switches, and the heater control panel. For many jobs, removing these sections alone will be enough, but to go deeper, the UPPER SAFETY PAD and the main INSTRUMENT PANEL may need removal.

At the time of this posting, many of the screws, bolts, and even clips are still available, which cannot be said for any of the actual Instrument Panel components.

Tools needed:
    Phillips head screwdriver
    Ratchet with 10mm socket
    10 mm wrench

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PANEL SUB-ASSY and COMBINATION METER

Begin by removing the brake fluid reservoir cap, to ease removal of the Instrument Cluster Panel later. There are five screws that hold the panel in, as well as two internal clips that fit onto brackets behind the cluster:

To remove the panel, pull it out toward the steering wheel as you maneuver it around the brake fluid reservoir opening (there is enough flex in the panel's side for that). Pull gently because the panel is still attached by two clips to the brackets seen in the black boxes below:

The Combination Meter is attached in the front by four screws seen in the image above, and in the rear by the speedometer cable and three electrical plug connections, seen below:

Once the meter's front screws are removed, pull the meter out as far as you can before you feel resistance. First, disconnect the speedometer cable by squeezing the side of the connector and pulling the cable away; it is helpful to look through the windshield from the front of the van to get your bearings. The speedo cable connector comes off easily, but be gentle - if it breaks you're a little busted. You now have room to pull the meter out farther and disconnect the remaining electrical connectors. Each has a plastic tab that you push in and then pull the connector out.

GLOVE COMPARTMENT SUB-ASSY

First remove the plastic piece covering the glove box hinges (two screws):

Next remove two screws connecting the glove box hinges and remove the glove box:

If you plan on removing the upper safety pad and/or the main dash, follow the remaining steps in this section.

Remove the glove box striker. It is held on by two screws, and can be moved forward or back to adjust the exact point at which the glove box latches. You may wish to mark the position of the striker before you remove it, otherwise you will have to adjust it upon reinstallation:

Remove two screws (main dash to upper safety pad):

Next remove the reinforcement bar that the glove box hinges screw into. The bar is attached with two screws and two 10mm bolts:

Here is one of the metal retaining clips that the 10mm bolts thread into (this piece snaps onto the dash, and like other clips, may or may not stay there - keep track of them):

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CENTER FINISH PANEL (radio trim) and HEATER CONTROL PANEL

First, remove the ashtray. Then remove these two screws (radio trim to Upper Safety Pad):

Next, remove these two screws (radio trim to ashtray retainer):

The radio trim panel is still attached by two clips at the bottom corners. Pull out the panel gently as the plastic pieces that the clips snap onto are ultra-fragile...here's a shot of one of the clips from the backside:

At this point the radio trim panel is only attached by the electrical connector to the cigarette lighter, if you have one. There may or may not be an additional wire running from the roof of the ashtray retainer into the cigarette lighter, if there is, unplug it at the cigarette lighter assembly end.

Next remove four screws around the radio:

To remove the heater control panel from the dash, remove these three screws:

INSTRUMENT PANEL LOWER FINISH PANEL and STEERING COLUMN HOUSING

In order to remove the entire dash, the INSTRUMENT PANEL LOWER FINISH PANEL must be removed. This is the panel covering the lower portion of the steering column. It is attached with four screws...here is a shot of the driver's side of the panel showing only the driver's side screw, the second is on the other side:

Lower two screws:

Although not necessary for dash removal, here are the screw locations for the steering column housing (a place to be careful: these screws thread directly into plastic, so take care when reinstalling):

INSTRUMENT PANEL UPPER SAFETY PAD SUB-ASSY

Which looks like this:

Remove this screw:

Remove this screw, which is at the driver's side end of the upper safety pad:

Next remove two screws (dash to upper safety pad):

At this point the safety pad is still attached to the frame by clips and by two 10mm bolts, which attach to the brackets seen here:

Once the bolts are removed, pull the safety pad (gently!) from the frame - it is still anchored by two dodgy metal clips that attach to the metal framework at the base of the windshield. Here is a shot from underneath the pad:

In order to remove the last and largest piece of the dash, first remove the electrical switch components from the dash panel.

Remove one 10mm bolt below the brake fluid reservoir:

Remove one 10mm bolt anchoring the dash to the bracket which attaches to the brake fluid reservoir:

Remove one 10mm bolt? that attaches to the very bottom of the driver's side of the dash (the point in question is broken on my dash, as seen in this picture):

Remove one 10mm bolt near the passenger side door:

The INSTRUMENT PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY is no longer connected to the vehicle, and can be removed.

Have fun with the installation, which is everything above, in reverse.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 2wd automatic 1989 toyota van le 4x4 automatic

Does the dashboard have to be removed to replace the blower motor? Or is it accessible by removing the glove box? Is there instructions or a write up on how to replace the front blower motor??

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    Does the dashboard have to be removed to replace the blower motor? Or is it accessible by removing the glove box? Is there instructions or a write up on how to replace the front blower motor??
    Javier,

take a a look at this thread maybe it’ll have the answer-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...t=Blower+motor

if this isn’t the correct thread then go to the “search” feature in the top right and type in a few key words “ blower motor” “removing blower motor” and see what comes up, skim thru the threads and post in the one that’s most similar to what your looking for.

Good luck

JDM