Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dead van...

My Van(s):
    '88 cargo van

Re: dead van...

yeah Toyota put the safety feature in their vehicles that if there is no spark there will be no fuel.
    And vise-versa no spark. basically if it does not sense one it will not give the other!!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
    yeah Toyota put the safety feature in their vehicles that if there is no spark there will be no fuel.
    And vise-versa no spark. basically if it does not sense one it will not give the other!!!
    When the engine stops, so must the fuel pump. This is a "fail safe" safety requirement designed into the system. With engine driven mechanical fuel pumps this action is automatic. Not the case with electric. To achieve this goal some manufacturers use a motion sensor on the flywheel (to detect engine rotation). As long as rotation is detected, and the ignition switch is in the "run" position, the pump circuit remains enabled. For our vans, Toyota went with a switch inside the AFM. The AFM switch requires more air flow than can occur by cranking the starter. To temporarily enable the circuit (for starting), the pump is triggered by the momentary "start" position of the ignition switch. The existence (or non existence) of spark does not play a role in this. Nor does pump operation play a role in the production of ignition spark. Tim

My Van(s):
    '88 cargo van

Are you completely sure? Not really doubting you, I do know on the Toyota's I am used to working on that if the engine does not find spark it will shut off the pump. maybe this was a 90's feature that started. Reason was to limit flooding and other mishaps. and with no fuel pressure there will be no spark had nothing to do with the pump. Again I know this to be true on the 96 and newer Toyota's.
    Basically it is not the pump or the coil that determine the spark or fuel, but the pressure and actual spark sensors.
    So yes this is possible to have changed to this in the 90's.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I am not (nor do I claim to be) a modern automotive mechanic. My comments were directed at these pre-historic Toyota vans & other vehicles that roamed the earth in the beginning age of EFI . I quit working for Toyota around 1991. I am still working as a tech (I run my own business), but specialize in RV repair (things like LP gas furnaces, refrigerators, water heaters, AC/DC electrical systems, plumbing, etc). After I left Toyota I have very limited experience in the modern automotive service world.........so I wouldn't know.

Makes sense I guess. Modern stuff has more sophisticated control circuits and it wouldn't surprise me if you are correct. Tim