Thread: 93 2.2 Diesel 4x4 Town Ace Alternator replacement

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    93 Town Ace Super Extras

93 2.2 Diesel 4x4 Town Ace Alternator replacement

The alternator went out on the '93 CR31 2.2 diesel 4WD Town Ace Super Extra 5-speed JDM. Listed part number is 27060-64190. I cannot find a single replacement anywhere, as the only cross reference seems to be a NLA Bosch unit. Megazip has the Toyota one, but at $1,500+shipping!!!

Any ideas for sourcing one? Otherwise the best bet is probably to find a shop to rebuild the old one.

Thanks,
    Sam

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: 93 2.2 Diesel 4x4 Town Ace Alternator replacement

I was gonna suggest to have it rebuilt-should be at least $1000's cheaper. Maybe it's just the brushes? Take it out and have a looksy.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Same thing with the starter, costs something like $1300 for a new one. Best to find an alternator shop and send it out for rebuild. Unless the windings have a short, it'll be much less to have it rebuilt.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

I'm looking at a Liteace diesel, this worries me. What did OP do?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
    I'm looking at a Liteace diesel, this worries me. What did OP do?
    These vans are very much old school engineering, in that many components are intended to be rebuilt instead of simply replaced. The shop manual I have details rebuilding starter motors and alternators. As long as the windings are not shorted, these items can be readily rebuilt by anyone with moderate mechanical ability.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

thanks for info. You still driving you surf Ace?

I cant for the life of me find the cruising speed of a 2.0 2C-T diesel van, do you have the diesel motor in yours?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
    thanks for info. You still driving you surf Ace?

I cant for the life of me find the cruising speed of a 2.0 2C-T diesel van, do you have the diesel motor in yours?
    Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I'm still driving it, every day that I carry the mail. It is also my main driver.

With 205/70R14 tires, the van will cruise 88 KPH (55 MPH) at about 3,000 RPM. Not sure about elsewhere, typical speeds in Japan and Okinawa top out at 80 KPM, about 50 MPH. It will run 70 at less than 3,500 RPM but, I don't like taking it on the interstate.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

bikeregg,

did you rebuild your starter or you were just mentioning the starter costs $1300? If you built it which starter rebuild kit did you use.

Thank you

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

thanks for input on the MPH.
    ugh, wonder how bad my fuel millage will slip trying to run 65-70 everywhere.

Well, I still havnt purchased mine, waiting on Bank account info to start the process.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    bikeregg,

did you rebuild your starter or you were just mentioning the starter costs $1300? If you built it which starter rebuild kit did you use.

Thank you

JDM
    I have not rebuilt the starter. I was investigating because I have an intermittent problem where I turn the key, I hear the fuel injection pump solenoid click, I hear the starter relay/solenoid click but it won't turn over. I bought a wire lead connector kit, but haven't installed that yet.

As for rebuilding the starter, I don't know of a kit. I'll just look for a brush kit and will measure the bearings and get those direct from a supplier. Hopefully the windings and armature will not need replacement. In that case, I'll be looking for a starter that "will or can be made to work".

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van - Sold 1994 Toyota Previa AllTrac 1994 Toyota TownAce Super Extra

Quote Originally Posted by classwinners View Post
    The alternator went out on the '93 CR31 2.2 diesel 4WD Town Ace Super Extra 5-speed JDM. Listed part number is 27060-64190. I cannot find a single replacement anywhere, as the only cross reference seems to be a NLA Bosch unit. Megazip has the Toyota one, but at $1,500+shipping!!!

Any ideas for sourcing one? Otherwise the best bet is probably to find a shop to rebuild the old one.

Thanks,
    Sam
    Any luck with this? I may be in need of a new/rebuilt alternator myself

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '91 CR30 JDM & '91 CR27 JDM

Quote Originally Posted by bikeregg View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I'm still driving it, every day that I carry the mail. It is also my main driver.

With 205/70R14 tires, the van will cruise 88 KPH (55 MPH) at about 3,000 RPM. Not sure about elsewhere, typical speeds in Japan and Okinawa top out at 80 KPM, about 50 MPH. It will run 70 at less than 3,500 RPM but, I don't like taking it on the interstate.
    This has been my experience with the 2-CT more-or-less, too. But after the motor is good and warm, an hour of 70-80km/h, it will make 90-100 real easy at just shy of 3800. Maybe if there were a US gearing kit for the OD or a 6sp transmission...

But the engine is just a hummy buzzbomb dream-ride at 80km/h; it feels like its running on pure air. But is actually getting 35mpg.

Yeah, no inter-state for me neither.